Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to get my hands on a SX!

EBRforum Newb

Wink Time to get my hands on a SX!

Hi everyone!

After a couple of missed opportunities, seems like it's finally time for me to get my hands on a SX. I've been riding a Buell XB12 for a bit which got me addicted to Erik Buell's vision of what a motorcycle should be! I'm scheduled to get it this week, so I figured might as well run some info on this forum about the details about it so you guy can give me good feedback.

The big thing about it is that it was in a slow speed low side so the cosmetic isn't in great (some plastics are scratched and some broken). The mechanic sounds good though. The bike was warm when I went to see it, fired right up, cooling fans started one after another and the engine revved normally with no weird sound. The visual inspection was also okay with the following main information:

- 2014 model
    - 7,500 miles
    - Last oil changes were at 7,000 miles, 3,000 miles and 600 miles
    - The gas light is always on and the dash plastic protection is gone / I guess I'll have to replace the fuel level sensor, but for the dash plastic, looks like it's not available as a spare part!
    - I noticed some cracks on the exhaust, seems to be corrosion induced. It has the muffler delete kit and corresponding ecm / Don't really know what to do but replace that part
    - The water pump seal had to be replaced because it was leaking
    - The coolant reservoir tab is broken / It seems that the entire thing need to be replaced on the radiator level
    - Along with the last oil change, the valves were checked and within tolerance / I'll have them replaced so I don't have to wonder if they are still good in a couple thousand miles
    - It has rev2 throttle cables / may revert that to original, not sure I like the progression of it

So yeah, that's pretty much it. If there's anything I should know about the 2014 models, or things I should look up closer, feel free to share! I've read a bit around the forum but I'm sure I missed plenty of interesting and valuable information!

I don't know if I'm ready for 80% more power than my XB, but I know I'm looking forward to being part of the EBR family!

Max.

Hi from a fellow 2014 SX owner, had it 2 months and have ridden it ONCE from the shop to the shed about 200'. LOL Winter in Wisconsin. Mine's NOS 1.9 miles. Sorry no help with your issues, questions.
    2014 1190SX

Quote Originally Posted by herwawan View Post
    Hi everyone!

After a couple of missed opportunities, seems like it's finally time for me to get my hands on a SX. I've been riding a Buell XB12 for a bit which got me addicted to Erik Buell's vision of what a motorcycle should be! I'm scheduled to get it this week, so I figured might as well run some info on this forum about the details about it so you guy can give me good feedback.

The big thing about it is that it was in a slow speed low side so the cosmetic isn't in great (some plastics are scratched and some broken). The mechanic sounds good though. The bike was warm when I went to see it, fired right up, cooling fans started one after another and the engine revved normally with no weird sound. The visual inspection was also okay with the following main information:

- 2014 model
    - 7,500 miles
    - Last oil changes were at 7,000 miles, 3,000 miles and 600 miles
    - The gas light is always on and the dash plastic protection is gone / I guess I'll have to replace the fuel level sensor, but for the dash plastic, looks like it's not available as a spare part!
    - I noticed some cracks on the exhaust, seems to be corrosion induced. It has the muffler delete kit and corresponding ecm / Don't really know what to do but replace that part
    - The water pump seal had to be replaced because it was leaking
    - The coolant reservoir tab is broken / It seems that the entire thing need to be replaced on the radiator level
    - Along with the last oil change, the valves were checked and within tolerance / I'll have them replaced so I don't have to wonder if they are still good in a couple thousand miles
    - It has rev2 throttle cables / may revert that to original, not sure I like the progression of it

So yeah, that's pretty much it. If there's anything I should know about the 2014 models, or things I should look up closer, feel free to share! I've read a bit around the forum but I'm sure I missed plenty of interesting and valuable information!

I don't know if I'm ready for 80% more power than my XB, but I know I'm looking forward to being part of the EBR family!

Max.
    Is it a white one from El Segundo ? Call EBR 2132Y1500A.1B7 Rev AINSTRUMENT CLUSTER, MPH/KMH, POTTED, PROGRAMMED$180.00 Have the valves been adjusted ? should be done @ 6200 miles
    Last edited by EBRRider; 02-19-2019 at 05:45 PM.

EBRforum Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by gggGary View Post
    Hi from a fellow 2014 SX owner, had it 2 months and have ridden it ONCE from the shop to the shed about 200'. LOL Winter in Wisconsin. Mine's NOS 1.9 miles. Sorry no help with your issues, questions.
    Haha I’m lucky enough to be in California with a weather that’s ridding-proof most of the year!

Quote Originally Posted by EBRRider View Post
    Is it a white one from El Segundo ? Call EBR 2132Y1500A.1B7 Rev AINSTRUMENT CLUSTER, MPH/KMH, POTTED, PROGRAMMED$180.00 Have the valves been adjusted ? should be done @ 6200 miles
    The valves were checked but not adjusted because within tolerance, he said. I do believe it’ll have to be done right away so I don’t wonder around if it’s still good or not!

For the dash, is it a complete unit? Does it take over the mileage from the old dash?

As for the low fuel light, removing the fuel pump and fixing the issue seems to be a major PITA... and you don’t want your fuel pump to stop working with the price of them!

Last edited by EBRRider; 02-19-2019 at 08:14 PM.

EBRforum Newb
    Oh sorry I didn’t see the first part of your initial message! Yes it is this one :) you know it?

Yes,Good deal for sure !
    Last edited by EBRRider; 02-20-2019 at 07:59 AM.

EBRforum Newb
    Yes,Good deal for sure ! You got it from Austin
    The man indeed!

EBRforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by herwawan View Post
    Haha I’m lucky enough to be in California with a weather that’s ridding-proof most of the year!

The valves were checked but not adjusted because within tolerance, he said. I do believe it’ll have to be done right away so I don’t wonder around if it’s still good or not!

For the dash, is it a complete unit? Does it take over the mileage from the old dash?

As for the low fuel light, removing the fuel pump and fixing the issue seems to be a major PITA... and you don’t want your fuel pump to stop working with the price of them!
    Mileage transfers to the new dash, 5 minute timer to complete. This allows for diagnostic testing without marrying a dash to an ecm.