Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Guy

EBRforum Newb

New Guy

Don't know if I'm supposed to introduce first in meet and greet but - -

I've just sold a bike and am looking at maybe my next bike being an EBR1190. I'll probably get more serious in late spring 2019.

Sometimes it is a little hard to tell whether a bike listed in this section is already sold. I'm sure when I get serious I'll find out.

Greetings everyone,
    Bob

Hi Bob:) Welcome!

What did you sell? Are you ready for 185hp and ludicrous torque on a 400lb motorcycle? :)

EBRforum Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Hi Bob:) Welcome!

What did you sell? Are you ready for 185hp and ludicrous torque on a 400lb motorcycle? :)
    I just sold a Ducati ST4s. It has the 996 former superbike engine. I sold a Ducati Diavel to buy the ST to get the luggage. I didn't love taking the cage to the store. The Diavel doesn't quite have the power to weight ratio of the EBR but the 0 to 60 times were comparable. The ST4s has a pretty high center of gravity and the side stand doesn't reach out very far so one has to be very careful where to park. And... the periodic maintenance costs are way up there.

A friend has an 1125CR and just loves it so I thought I'd give it a try. Then I discovered the 1190.

Sounds to me like you'll love it:)

EBRforum Newb
    Hey Cooter... I think I like the 1190RX a little better than the SX but both are great. But I've also seen that there is an 1125R with a full fairing and I kind of like that too. I've seen you on the other forum so I'm guessing you are the one to ask. Are there some big reasons why I would like one more than the other? Does one have issues that make it less desirable?

Not just Cooter - I'd like opinions from any 1125 / 1190 person. TIA, Bob

I've had both and really loved my CR. It ended up being a track only bike (Florida... what else you gonna do?). I beat on it mercilessly, maintained it well, and it never let me down. You better pass in the corners because they'll catch you by the end of the straight though:( They are fast fun and way cheap. I have heard from more than one source that nothing slides on it's side better than a Buell 1125, not sure what to make of that?
    Some of them ('09's) need attention to the charging system ($300-400) that's well documented, upgrades and parts are plentiful and cheap, add a quick shifter, IDS ECM, Keda or APH exhaust and have a blast!

I got the SX delivered to my door for much less than $9K and Holy Hell I knew right away it was going to kill me, but I did't care. I have ridden a BMW S1000r, Duc Pani (LE and Superleggera), and the only thing close is the 1290 KTM. It's amazing, and the specs on paper don't do it justice. Look how the torque curve absolutely smashes every other bike from idle to it's redline. I have never ridden a bike that is so immediately, violently, powerful when you twist the throttle at 8500rpm.

Parts are easy to find and mostly very cheap. Some issues with the early bikes may be a dash panel ($350) and eating sprockets ($35). I'd recommend a quick shifter (the sensor literally bolts on), a 43 tooth rear sprocket (stock chain fits), I have a IDS ECM and APH exhaust that made a world of difference, and a taller windscreen for the RX so you can see the dash at full tuck, lol.

EBRforum Newb
    I seem to be getting logged out before finishing a reply.

EBRforum Newb
    Thanks a million, Cooter. The most help I've gotten with this question. That graph is incredible. And thanks for the commentary.

I'll be looking for a daily rider. I've done a couple classes and track days but I'll not be racing. And it would be difficult to go back to a wee wee bike.

So, which would you choose for a daily rider?

Glad to help. I drank Eric's Kool-Aid a long time ago:) I haven't ridden an RX to know if the ergo's fit me personally, but I've taken the SX for 400+ mile hard riding 10-12 hour days with no complaint from the bike or my taint. I am planning on installing clip-ons and a Hotbodies RX fairing to it though...
    The CR had the sexy Clubmans on it that I couldn't stand for more than 50 miles, but a high bar kit solved that completely. FYI, I thought the stock seat on the 1125 was better than the Saddleman.

BTW, I take the Ss converted STT absolutely EVERYWHERE, including a 700+ mile single day (to finish a 4000 mile month) last August down the west coast... and would absolutely turn around and do it again the next day on the same bike. As weekend fun, you're on the right track (PUN!). But as a daily, an XB will win the day, the week and the month. A totally different ride.

Thats a rear tire lock up stripe in the frost!! I hugged the cooling fans that day to be sure!

EBRforum Newb
    Ooo. More good info. The thing is, SWMBO doesn't like the street fighter look. For whatever reason, a full fairing looks respectable . ??

Yeah, I have the Ironbutt. Rode from Seattle to Annapolis in 2 ½ days. But I'm a little older now. Don't need such long days.

So I'm gonna lurk for a couple months and buy in March. I hope. I hadn't thought about an XB. But, again, I think I need to get a full fairing and I'd kind of tuned in on the 1125 or 1190. I'll stay open minded.

History;
    BMW R bike
    Honda V65 Sabre
    BMW K1
    Honda RC51
    Honda CBR11XX
    Ducati Diavel
    Ducati ST4s

Young fellas might not understand a BMW k1. Picture below. Can't find a picture of mine cuz I've changed phones and computers a couple times since then. This is a 1992 k1. They were about 100 horsepower and pretty heavy. The footpegs were really high cuz it was real wide because of the "brick" of an engine. I bought it new and sold it with 160,000 miles on it. Between 30 and 40 Kmiles a year. Still running strong.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	2092
    Last edited by Bob; 01-01-2019 at 08:10 AM.