Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AGM Battery

EBRforum Junkie

AGM Battery

Does anyone know of a AGM battery that will fit in our EBRs? I know it will probably be a lower AH rating & CCA rating.

Easy to google the dimensions and terminal position.

Why??

EBRforum Junkie
    Thinking of using one in my SX. The bike has a drain when off that I haven't been able to track down. It kills the battery in a week. With the Shorai, if I forget to put it on the tender, it kills the battery & it can"t be recharged. With a more conventional battery you can usually recharge it a few times before.

I have a drain on my 2014 as well. about 1.5 amps split evenly between the cluster and the ECM. EBR swears they looked at that because there was a pre-production issue with the 1125's, but still:(

IMO, The solution isn't putting in the wrong (heavy, less capacity) battery, it's putting it on the Shorai dedicated Shorai battery tender. when you park it in the garage. Every time.

You can use the cheap universal tenders, but it's not advised. You can re-charge the Shorai batteries.
    https://shoraipower.com/home1/charging

EBRforum Junkie
    No, I know about using a universal tender because that's how the 1st one died! Had it on the tender all winter & in the spring it was dead! Sent it back to Shorai & they said it couldn't be saved. 2nd one died when someone(!!!! gf)unplugged it to use the cord & again Shorai said it was unable to be saved. So recharging is only possible if it is not fully discharged. Their wording is a little ambiguous.
    So EBR says that you & I don't have that problem!!! I tried to find the current draw & came to the same conclusion as you. If you ever find a fix please let us(And me)know. I'm in the process of changing the cluster now as it went out on me.
    Turned the key on to check the mileage I had on that tankful. Saw the mileage, turned off the key. Went in the house to put on my gear, came back out & the cluster screen was black. No, it was 2/3rds black & 1/3rds a dull green. The bike started fine & everything worked except the turn signals. By the time I got to my buddy's home it was all black. Pretty sure it's the cluster.

Your EBR is just getting back at ya for riding that Norton ! LOL

EBRforum Junkie
    I thought we got along with the Brits!! Our closest ally!! Must be Trump.
    Funny aside. My buddies had me meet them at a cafe we hang at. I pulled in and they all crowded around. I got off the Norton & they had a mock knighting ceremony with a plastic knife as a sword!! The one Brit guy was there too!! I am Sir Don of Norton!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Thunder View Post
    I thought we got along with the Brits!! Our closest ally!! Must be Trump.
    Funny aside. My buddies had me meet them at a cafe we hang at. I pulled in and they all crowded around. I got off the Norton & they had a mock knighting ceremony with a plastic knife as a sword!! The one Brit guy was there too!! I am Sir Don of Norton!!!!
    I hail to you . Sir of Don Norton.

it’s a very common problem that the smart chargers detect them dead at begin of the season.
    Solution is to remove them from the bike and give them outside a push with Grandpa’s battery charger. Some seconds often do the trick, max some minutes and then switch to the smart charger.
    Notice that beyond 14,7V these batteries start burning.

EBRforum Junkie
    I read something like that somewhere that a guy connected a car battery to the lithium battery out of the bike. He said the cables got hot for a few seconds. When it stopped he took the lithium battery off & it worked fine after that.
    Looking how long you've been riding you must be a GRAMPA like me!! I'm 70!!