Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spares/consumables compatibility with the 1190RX?

EBRforum Newb

Spares/consumables compatibility with the 1190RX?

Hey guys,

i joined the site site as I am performing Due Dilligence in preparation for a possible EBR1190RS purchase. The prices on these are getting down to what I have in my last bike (R1M) and the only thing really scaring me is spares availability of things like sprockets and brakes because I do see myself riding the thing semi regularly.

anyone know what is interchangeable on the bikes?

Thanks in advanced,

Dave

You probably mean RX not RS...
    There are minor problems to look for but they really are minor. The bike you want for as super cheap as they are now may take a little maintenance. Search this forum.
    A quick check of E-bay for whatever parts you're scared about will tell you how much and how easy they are to get.

JT sprockets for the 43-44 tooth conversion you should do ($30 and the OE chain fits) and many more aftermarket available. The front cush drive sprocket is still available from both EBR (still in business BTW) and LAP.

Brake disks are the same dimension as every Buell since 2003. You have a 5mm or 6mm choice from EBR. EBC and others make replacements if you don't want OEM. Pads for the ZTL-2 are available from everyone. A good street pad is the HH from EBC.

EBRforum Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    There are minor problems to look for but they really are minor. The bike you want for as super cheap as they are now may take a little maintenance. Search this forum.
    A quick check of E-bay for whatever parts you're scared about will tell you how much and how easy they are to get.

JT sprockets for the 43-44 tooth conversion you should do ($30 and the OE chain fits) and many more aftermarket available. The front cush drive sprocket is still available from both EBR (still in business BTW) and LAP.

Brake disks are the same dimension as every Buell since 2003. You have a 5mm or 6mm choice from EBR. EBC and others make replacements if you don't want OEM. Pads for the ZTL-2 are available from everyone. A good street pad is the HH from EBC.
    Lol, actually I did mean an RS .... I’ve wanted one since they came out but the timing was always wrong and they were just too expensive. I’ve almost got my R1M paid off and an RS can be bought for similar money to what my R1M cost, so i’m Thinking about taking the Plunge.

i contacted Liquid, they told me to contact EBR, didn’t get an answer unfortunately. They list a phone number, so I might have to go that route. Good to know on the brakes, I was a little worried as one of the magazines had a problem with warping and EBR told them it was a supplier problem-probably the case since I had never heard of any other EBR RX or SX’s having a problem.

i really want to experience this bike,... closest thing to a TZ250 streetbike I have ever sat on....

EBRforum Newb

Lol, actually I did mean an RS .... I’ve wanted one since they came out but the timing was always wrong and they were just too expensive. I’ve almost got my R1M paid off and an RS can be bought for similar money to what my R1M cost, so i’m Thinking about taking the Plunge.

i contacted Liquid, they told me to contact EBR, didn’t get an answer unfortunately. They list a phone number, so I might have to go that route. Good to know on the brakes, I was a little worried as one of the magazines had a problem with warping and EBR told them it was a supplier problem-probably the case since I had never heard of any other EBR RX or SX’s having a problem.

i really want to experience this bike,... closest thing to a TZ250 streetbike I have ever sat on....

EBRforum Newb
    Looks like my previous post got caught in moderator approval-nope, I really meant the RS. Prices are down to about what my R1M cost and I might be willing to pay that bike off and pursue a loan for the 1190.

i just need to find out how supportable it will be. I’m not worried as much about parts failures as I am being able to get sprockets and brakes. I’m going to ride the snot out of it if I get one-I really want to experience this bike, it will probably be my last sport bike.

thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by theotherdave View Post
    Looks like my previous post got caught in moderator approval-nope, I really meant the RS. Prices are down to about what my R1M cost and I might be willing to pay that bike off and pursue a loan for the 1190.

i just need to find out how supportable it will be. I’m not worried as much about parts failures as I am being able to get sprockets and brakes. I’m going to ride the snot out of it if I get one-I really want to experience this bike, it will probably be my last sport bike.

thanks for the reply!
    http://www.erikbuellracing.net/wp-co...Sep%202017.pdf
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item...rmance&_sop=10
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTsWwC_lbyLdPgGuf-r1ibg/videos?sort=dd&shelf_id=0&view=0
    http://www.erikbuellracing.net/store/

Keep in mind the 1190RS is a race bike. A legitimate racing motorcycle. Never designed for street duty, but you sound like you know that:) Consumables are about the only thing I wouldn't worry about. Its a small (very small) group you'll be entering with very passionate people. This site is perfect for you as AF-1 knows a little something about them, lol.

I think they are ridiculously cool and I know they are capable of ludicrous speed:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oApAdwuqtn8

EBRforum Novice
    Brakes, sprockets, clutch, all the same. The battery is not, it's EBR's own 26650 lithum 8-cell and which is no longer available, but you can have the cells replaced or have one made. The compartment area is so small it will not fit any (adequate) off the shelf batteries and basically needs to be the size of 8 (2x4) 26650 cells shrinkwrapped. There's a place called Speedcell that will make one or replace your cells, either for $200. You can replace the cells yourself but you'll need a spotwelder for battery cells and some copper sheet you'll have to cut. I'd recommend CTEK's lithium charger.

That being said, like Cooter wrote, it is everything else you need to be prepared for. Everything on the RS fits extremely, extremely tight. If you don't put painter's tape along the bottom edge of the airbox cover when taking the tail off, you will scratch it. And even though it's only four bolts, the technique for reinstalling the tail takes some practice as the undertray's lip needs to go inside before you can fasten it down, and can only be done at a certain angle. Sometimes I get it like nothing and other times it takes a while, but I have it down pretty well nowadays. The tail needs to be removed to access the battery, fuses, coolant cap, electonics, etc.

To give you an idea how tight everything fits, you can remove the mirrors and unlock all its quarter-turn fasteners and nothing will move. It needs to be pulled apart. It is actually easier to take the side panels off while still attached to the front fairing, just remove the mirrors and undo the side's fasteners (after removing the belly pan obviosly) and slide eveything off the front. If you try to remove and reinstall just one side panel, you again will need painters tape and a lot of paitence. Even when reinstalling the frontend as a whole, it still takes some finesse to get the radiator shroud's outer lip to go back inside the side panels.

Also keep in mind the current market for the RS is, well there isn't one, so if you decide to sell it, you're probably going to have a tough time unless you want to lose good money. This may change in the years to come, but for now, it is what it is. And also keep in mind, it does not have traction control, and is the quickest superbike in the world without it. I would not recommend an RS unless you are extremely passionate about them. If you have a shop do your work, I would be very, very cautious.

That all being said, it is my favorite bike on the planet, and in my opinion, the best & most beautful bike ever made. I've had mine further apart than I ever thought I would and I've learned quite a bit along the way. So if you aren't just infatuated and really do fall in love with one, feel free to message me about absolutely anything and I will help you the best I can. If you are more casual about it, I would highly recommend an RX or SX - both absolutely amazing, beautful, world class bikes, and a lot more street and user friendly. I still love those more than any other brand's superbike. My RS and SX are going to be with me for life, and I hope to add a Midnight Black RX someday too.
    Last edited by Doug Porcaro; 10-29-2018 at 08:27 PM.

EBRforum Newb
    Thanks for the post, I got a reply from EBR essentially saying I would just have to compare part numbers so what you gave me is useful. LAP referred me to them, sounds like they are just liquidators, which is to be expected. I live in Michigan, so a trip to LAP in Grand Rapids isn’t a big deal to see the bikes but I’m also aware of a very low miles bike with the magnesium wheels for less money... and it’s only .5% higher in interest rate....

EBRforum Newb
    Keep in mind the 1190RS is a race bike. A legitimate racing motorcycle. Never designed for street duty, but you sound like you know that:) Consumables are about the only thing I wouldn't worry about. Its a small (very small) group you'll be entering with very passionate people. This site is perfect for you as AF-1 knows a little something about them, lol.

I think they are ridiculously cool and I know they are capable of ludicrous speed:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oApAdwuqtn8
    Back in the day, I owned a Bimota SB8R right around one of the times they closed. Throttle cables were a one month wait etc. and bodywork was $5k. I see these bikes being like that from a support standpoint. I’m the kind of guy that can RTFM and put things back together with no extra screws left over, so working on the bike doesn’t scare me too much. I have carbon composites experience as well if repairs were needed or if I needed to make a mold to make new parts. I’m a tool and die maker by trade and build automated machinery so making parts, pretty much any kind of part is doable if the effort is warranted.

I get that these really aren’t streetbikes, if I bought one it would make the rounds at local bike shows and the occasional country loop with my riding group. Currently, I have 6 bikes and use the R1M only for the fast country rides, and it has taken a beating from the stones, birds etc. so I wouldn’t use much for that. I think I know what the riding experience will be like and I really want that.... enough to maybe stretch and make it happen...