Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5000 rpms.

EBRforum Junkie

5000 rpms.

Start at the beginning. I have a 2015 EBR1190SX. Tips & 44t rear sprocket with the correct race ecm.
    I have a weird thing happening. Between 4700-5000 on accelerating I get what sounds like a pinging sound. I run 93 octane gas. Also tried octane booster with no difference.
    A while ago I had to end up using 89 octane(Broken pump). Well about 10 miles later the pinging all but stopped!!!
    Since then I've run at least 4 tankfuls of each, filling when tank was very low. With the same results!
    I'm sure it's pinging but why does lower octane help stop it!!?? I've been riding for 47 years & worked on bikes when I was younger. STUMPED!

EBRforum Novice
    Since octane affects burn rate and flame front, the higher octane could be burning in a manner that the flame front hits all sides at once, where the lower octane does not.

I'd run what doesn't knock. But that's odd.

My Firebolt started randomly pinging and I run 91. I will try 87 at next tank.

EBRforum Junkie
    Thanks for your thoughts.

EBRforum Novice
    I put 89 in my Firebolt. Still pings, no more no less. Perhaps my issue is elsewhere.

Since higher octane fuel burns slower and more controlled (to resist pinging), I would have to think gas quality is the issue. I'd try different stations before I settled on a faster burning gas.

EBRforum Newb
    I have just the opposite scenario. If lower octane gets used bike runs rougher and is not happy. Won’t rpm as easily which is a good thing so no harm gets done to the engine.

On another thought, what do you all think of lower octane being introduced when filling at stations with the one hose for all grades of fuel. The other night was tired and had to get fuel to make it home. Normally try and get from a pump that last purchase dispensed premium. Just put fuel in then realized the last purchase was regular gas. Bike not happy now. Going to pump out the gas and get fresh known premium only in.
    Wondering how much gas is in the pump and hose at the gas station from a regular grade purchase when you then dispense premium. Since we’re only getting maybe three gallons, how bad did it just get diluted with regular?

EBRforum Novice
    I've never paid any attention to last purchase. Never had issues (until this pinging after rebuild).

Quote Originally Posted by White SX View Post
    Wondering how much gas is in the pump and hose at the gas station from a regular grade purchase when you then dispense premium. Since we’re only getting maybe three gallons, how bad did it just get diluted with regular?
    I have wondered this exact question myself. Love to hear an accurate answer:)

EBRforum Junkie
    I have no experience on how filling pumps operate, but I did some math. A pump hose has in inner diameter of .625 from what I've seen written on them. And say they are 10' long on average. That only holds 0.1593 gallons of fuel. A 3/4" inner diameter hose only holds 0.22949 gallons, which is a more significant amount when only putting in three gallons.

EBRforum Junkie
    Cooter. Every tank of gas pretty much was from a different brand except for Shell. The one I use the most locally. On the road I use what I can find.