Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: My 2014 1190rx Arrived Today

EBRforum ProvNov
    This site is driving me nuts.I posted the correct link 3 times and every time it added a space between the 2 and 4. Try removing the space, then copy and paste. Or go the VIN info and scroll down to #124. Problem with the OM is that it doesn't have any pics, just the description.

I had a family crisis to deal with this week and had to put this problem on hold.

Dunbar ES closes early on Saturdays and aren't open Sun or Mon. They're a family business and seem like good guys. I really doubt they'd sell a motorcycle if they thought registration would be a problem. I did call DES today and explained the situation but didn't give them much time to do respond. They're going to talk with their tech guys and to EBR to find out what they can.

I found a Carbon Canister, hoses, brackets etc on EBR.net but no pics of anything there either.
    http://www.erikbuellracing.net/store/p0501-1b6-carbon-canister.html

I did find a few images of these parts on the net but started to think these are not the correct parts for my application. They're for a 1190RS or some earlier Buell.

Some schematics I found for the 2014RX showed hoses from the purge valve and the roll over vent going under the air box tub but didn't show the carbon canister. Finally I stumbled across an image showing the canister as integrated into the tub.

I took my air box cover off and it looks identical underneath except obviously for the color of the boxed area highlighted blue.

I got the title a month ago and tried to pay the fees then. Waited in line for 2.5 hours only for them to inform me they can't start anything before the bike arrives.

So I brought the bike "Friday the 13th" for them to inspect it. They looked for a sticker or something that stated it met CA emission standards but neither of us could find it anywhere. I tried to pay for the sales tax and transfer fees but they wouldn't accept it. They said without proof of emission compliance it was a non starter. I asked about late fees and if anyone read what they wrote on the upside down image I posted, it says they'll wave the penalties. I also asked if I had to bring the bike back again. They said no, the inspection part is done. All they need to finish is a statement from the manufacturer.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	2044  

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	162 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	2043  

Last edited by Brian S; 07-22-2018 at 04:54 PM.

The 1190RS is a race bike and a completely different animal.

Instead of guessing what you need, you could call EBR and ask, they'll know. That would also cut out the middlemen and the confusion it causes (ever play 'telephone'?). It would be faster too, because you wouldn't have to wait for them to call them, them to call them back, and then for them to call you.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Going directly to EBR was my plan initially but like members are saying, Dunham ES shouldn't have sold the bike in the first place. So I'm going to have them do a little leg work for me by gathering some info. I can talk to EBR afterwards.

They've sold at least 5 EBRs that I'm aware this year so they really need to know the facts so this doesn't happen to someone else. There's a guy in this thread who mentioned buying the other black RX they had for sale but I think he's in Missouri so it shouldn't cause him any problems.

I know the RS is a race bike, that's why I was surprised when I saw a remote carbon can shown in this schematic.
    https://www.af1racing.com/store/Prod...012.pdf#page24

Also dug up an older thread concerning 49 state motorcycles.
    http://ebrforum.com/archive/index.php/t-1239.html
    There's a chance some bikes were actually compliant with CA emission standards but were simply too early to be "certified".
    https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad...191_0d8_hn.pdf

This is one 1190 RX schematic I found. My bike has the integrated co can and all the hoses shown in the diagram.
    https://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/i...ari.pdf#page13

Have you taken the air box cover off yet ? To see if it has a CC ? which I am sure it does, The question I would be asking EBR is what is the difference in a 49 state bike and a 50 state ? besides the Vin #. If all you need is a letter from MFG stating it conforms to get it registered, Call Kim at EBR see if that is possible. 262 642 1627

(262) 642-1627

Info@ebr.com

Last edited by EBRRider; 07-22-2018 at 03:22 PM.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Yes, that's how I know the hoses and can are there. There's a rollover vent hose going to the can. A hose from the can to the purge valve and a hose from the purge valve to the intake manifold. It's all sealed...the vapors can't go anywhere .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	321 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	2046  

Last edited by Brian S; 07-22-2018 at 05:00 PM.

Even though the RS was a race bike, they did sell them to the public and a charcoal canister doesn't cost any HP. I'm just answering what I perceived to be a question from you: "but started to think these are not the correct parts for my application. They're for a 1190RS or some earlier Buell."

And just trying to help you expedite the process by calling EBR directly. If you want to wait for someone else to call EBR for you and ask the same questions, that's your business. I'd just like to see you less frustrated and riding this amazing machine.

Good luck man.

EBRforum ProvNov
    No, there wasn't a question. I was admitting to going in wrong direction after discovering the carbon cans were built into the air box, not a remote type underneath. I said I had what was in the image I posted.

I really didn't give Dunbar much time at all. Jon is the guy's name and he's the one who sold me the RX. I sounded like his jaw hit the floor when I told him DMV refused to the let me register the bike. I know the feeling.

I spoke with him around 11am, which was 2pm on the east coast and they close at 4pm Saturday.

EBR doesn't have business hours posted on their site. At least none I could find but I figured the earliest I could talk to anyone was Monday. Dunbar opens Tuesday so what's another 24 hours? I don't want to ask someone for help and then go around them when they've fewer than 2 business hours to look into anything.

Like I said before, just wanting to keep everything friendly for now, ya know what I mean? And thanks....I need all the luck I can get.
    Last edited by Brian S; 07-22-2018 at 10:08 PM.

Brian ,

look for this on the inside your rear tail on the left side.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37824390_2200260869987337_3647039082460086272_o.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	2048
    Last edited by EBRRider; 07-25-2018 at 10:10 PM.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Is this under the tail lid or behind the body panel? I see what may a sticker on the right side but there's no way to read it unless I remove the outer fiberglass. I'm not sure how those plastic pins (look something like push retainer pins?) come out.

BTW, EBR tech said the bike has all the emission controls required by CA, but wasn't "CARB certified" like I mentioned.

Yes, under the tail on the left side, You should have seen it when you were working on your latch,. So what is your plan ?