Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2014 1190rx Arrived Today

EBRforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    Hey - I got a new 2014rx - the slot is red & cockeyed - the key stops at a 1/2 way point - I jiggle it 3 or 4 times on its line and it goes in further - the scratches happen when you reinstal the seat you'll find out
    Eventually the bracket will remain bent and keep the key held in the lock, possibly keeping you stranded. Take the time to open this up and fix the bent bracket issue and you won't have to wiggle the key to get it go into the lock. , BTW my two EBR's don't have scratching on them from that seat post; lick and push.

The scratching only occurs if you dont push back all the way when reinstalling the seat , So the scratches show your seat has been off a few times.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. In the end, no amount of jiggling would let me insert the key. The only way it may have gone in is with been a BFH. Like I said....trying not to break anything.

What I ended up doing, was to remove the seat and take out 2 screws on the underside of the trim panel. It gave me enough room to fit my hand behind the panel and pull out the lock's retaining clip with my fingertips. Once the clip was out, I worked the cylinder out about 3/4" which pulled on the cable enough to retract the bolt catch and release the lid.

I took it apart and bent the cable bracket to 90 degrees as recommended by Buell-fan. Then ended up bending it back just a little so that the catch would extend inwards about an 1/8th inch. Now that I've taken the slack out of the cable, the cylinder is rotated a few more degrees counter clockwise. The key slides in and out and turns easily like a well oiled machine.

You wouldn't think a few degrees could make that much difference but try it some time. Turn the key just a little, try to pull it out, and you'll find it's stuck good. So I'm 95% sure the same lock internals that prevents the key from coming out are the same thing that prevented my key from going in. Luckily I already had a T27 Torx bit and didn't get stranded somewhere without a spare key. JIC I'll be sure to remove the key from the lock 1st before closing the lid.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	2024

I see how the scratches happened now because you have to fight against the strap somewhat to get the bolt over the trim panel. Luckily the marks on mine weren't too bad and I was able to get it looking new again with some black shoe scuff and light rubbing with fine steel wool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	2025  

Last edited by Brian S; 07-04-2018 at 11:35 PM.

EBRforum Newb
    Hey! That looks like the exact same bike I put a down payment on to hold it over the weekend, same place and everything, ha! BTW I am brand new to the forum and can't wait to finalize my purchase next week and get it delivered. I'll have to check for this key hole issue when I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by ecobeast_raptor View Post
    Hey! That looks like the exact same bike I put a down payment on to hold it over the weekend, same place and everything, ha! BTW I am brand new to the forum and can't wait to finalize my purchase next week and get it delivered. I'll have to check for this key hole issue when I get it.
    Welcome to this sorry bunch , LOL

We are dumb here, but at least we're ugly too!

EBRforum ProvNov
    I spent 4.5 hours at the DMV today and the little turds refused to register the bike because there is nothing on the title specifically stating that it complies with CALIFORNIA emission standards. The only way they'll registrer it is if I have a statement from the manufacturer that proves it meets California emissions or I'm just SOL. I got a $10K rock I can't ride anywhere. Anyone know who I have to contact to get this?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
    I spent 4.5 hours at the DMV today and the little turds refused to register the bike because there is nothing on the title specifically stating that it complies with CALIFORNIA emission standards. The only way they'll registrer it is if I have a statement from the manufacturer that proves it meets California emissions or I'm just SOL. I got a $10K rock I can't ride anywhere. Anyone know who I have to contact to get this?
    https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/833e9...6f529191fb.pdf

look at page 26 , hope this helps go to another DMV that agent was being a ahole. I brought mine in from TX no issues I am in CA also
    Last edited by EBRRider; 07-13-2018 at 07:16 PM.

I'm also in Cali and got mine brand new from Texas. No issues at all. Try AAA?

EBRforum ProvNov
    Sorry, I wish the doc was more helpful. Page 26 was about identification, not emissions. But according to that info I may be SNAFU. My code # is "3", meaning it's a 49 state motorcycle.

For the guys who successfully registered in CA, what code # have you?
    Last edited by Brian S; 07-14-2018 at 03:55 AM.