Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shock/Fork cross-reference

EBRforum Novice

Shock/Fork cross-reference (SX to BL)

Is there another shock that is similar to the EBR, just shorter?

Same for fork springs?
    Last edited by LeesEBR; 06-01-2018 at 12:53 PM.

Yes, of course there is. What are you trying to do? Lower an EBR? Because thats a completely different conversation.

EBRforum Novice
    Yup, looking at lowering it for the Black Lightning look. I'm familiar with geometries and how things are supposed to work together, yada yada yada.

After posting this, I chatted with Erik Buell briefly and determined the parts required simply no longer exist, so I'm gonna focus on a different project he and I spoke about previously (not EBR related).

EBRforum Novice
    It would be neat if an XB shock could fit (since they can be used to lower 1125's), but the forks can't be slid up the trees due to the bars. Could maybe get some bar risers for a funky look. Then there's looking at chain tension and swingarm geometry as if it were always 2" compressed. Might fiddle with it, but it will require a lot of math I was hoping to avoid.

Theoretically, you could have the entire fork re-cartridged with an Öhlins cartridge and have all the spacers removed. Also, you could look at doing that with K-Tech or the other major brands. You'd have to get a new set of triples made for it though.

The BU-888 shock is too long to work for that.
    2017 EBR 1190SX
    2009 Buell XB12scg

EBRforum Novice
    Re-cartridged? I thought BPF's didn't use cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by LeesEBR View Post
    Re-cartridged? I thought BPF's didn't use cartridges.
    They most definitely do. I had the stock BPF cartridges removed and the Öhlins NIX30 cartridges put in. They were for another bike, but fit the EBR fork body.
    2017 EBR 1190SX
    2009 Buell XB12scg

The front could be lowered by shortening the stock spacer, the rear could be lowered by moving or machining a new lower shock mount. The chain shouldn't be an issue as the idler should keep even tension on it through suspension travel.

It would look good, but I wouldn't ride it like that. The "yada, yada, yada" might kill me.

EBRforum Novice
    From photos, it appears to be using an SX swingarm, you can tell by the angle of the axle adjuster to the ground. The upper fork tubes appear to be same length, but obviously the internals need to change. When going shorter, you always want to go stiffer to prevent bottoming out. Perhaps shortening the spacer and going with stiffer springs? Dunno what that cost would be.

Kind of hesitant to Erik's claim the Showa stuff likely went back to Showa and no longer exists, since research last night says the two BL's were bought at auction and the third set of equipment was bought by a forum member. So the equipment exists, just need to get in touch with one of those three people to maybe get more information.

Also from google and link following from board to board to facebook to board ... aside from gearing (44t), kickstand and aesthetics (black powder), the BL is just a 2" lowered SX by way of shock and forks.

In the front all they did was slide the triple down a few mm and changed to shorter springs. I asked them at IMS last year about it.

For the rear, there has got to be a way to design a lowering link for that shock. Or just cut the adjuster off, like I did on my other Buells.