Thread: Dead batteries

EBRforum Junkie

Dead batteries

Long story. At the beginning of the season my battery was dead in my 15 SX. Had it on a lithium charger all winter. Shorai sent me a new battery. Bike was fine. I sent it out for a valve adjust. Came back fine. I road it for a few days then it sat for a couple of weeks. Battery dead. Sent Shorai the battery for replacement. In the mean time I purchased a Battery Tender Lithium battery. Install it. It was fine again. New battery came in the mail. Save for back up. Rode it on & off for a week then road one of my other bikes. Came back to it today for a ride. You guessed it, dead!! All the dead batteries were beyond charging. Dead. To light for paperweights!
    Went out on my Vic came back & installed the back up battery. Check the state of charge, 13.14Volts. Started the engine & it read 13.80-13.85 revving it.
    Checked for a draw. Switched to amps & hooked meter it between the battery neg & the ground wire with engine off. No draw!!
    I'm stumped. One battery I could understand, three, duh.

13.14 volts is pretty low for a Li-ion battery... and "No draw"?? There will always be something. Re-check that, it sure sounds like a draw.

Also, when you get a new Li-ion battery your can help it by putting it on a charge cycle 2-3 times (with a dedicated Li-ion charger) to increase the "charge density".Up to 14.4 volts.

I have been fighting a draw in mine 2014 #24, split between the ECM and dash. All I can do for now is keep it on the Shorai charger (store mode), otherwise its 5-7 days and dead:(

EBRforum Junkie
    Yeah. I will check it again. it might be the meter or me. I found it strange that there was 0.0 draw. On my meter I have only 2 ports for test leads. I put the leads between the negative terminal on the batter through the meter to ground. Switch meter to amps & tried all the scales.
    That sounds exactly like my problem. About the same length of time it dies!
    Get back if you find a fix. I'll check the meter again.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Kid Thunder; 05-27-2018 at 12:15 PM.

EBRforum ProvNov
    One thing about lithium batteries, once they're completely discharged they won't recharge with a typical solid state trickle charger. My bike came with a Battery Tender version from the factory (or at least the dealership anyway) and after leaving the bike parked for a few weeks I came home to find it dead. When I tried to charge it back up, nothing. Charger said the battery had failed.

I eventually hooked it in parallel with my car's battery (obviously with the lithium battery far enough away so if it popped it wouldn't hurt me or anything else) and in the first second it pulled so much current the wires got hot to the touch, but after that it charged fine and has been working ever since.

EBRforum Junkie
    Good to know. I will try that with my dead Battery Tender battery.

EBRforum Expert
    I've had that issue with conventional batteries (which were pretty much stone-dead) and electronic chargers. Charger says battery is kaput. Jump start vehicle with the "bad" battery, run it a few minutes, then charger works on it just fine.