Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ebr 1190sx vs bmw s1000

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I've drag raced quite a bit thanks. In all sorts of things. I don't know the rider, and he's having fun for sure! But he is making very common rookie mistakes. Some people do it their whole lives. He never claimed to be one and I'm glad he's having fun, but he'd get eaten alive by slower bikes at a legit strip riding that way.

He's using too much throttle, the front comes up, so he compensates by shifting way below the power band and mashing the gas into 2nd at 6k and 3rd at 8k (what it sounds like to me anyway). Easier? Sure. Too much throttle twist is forgiven (and less scary) because the bike can't make enough power that low in the curve. Another way to say it is: His max possible power output is lower at WOT because the RPM is too low (too high a gear). Does that sound like the best way to drag race? With less power?

A "drag racer" will pull all the gears through the torque peak and use throttle control to balance traction and carry the front, that sets the up-shift point right back to the torque peak where you have the maximum engine output available. You can't use WOT in first, second, third , maybe even until the top of fourth gear, but you have it available to use to balance the front and much more power available than WOT at 6k.

I really don't mean to diss the guy, I'm just explaining my comment.
    Sure, i understand what you mean, but you dont have to wring it like say an r6 off launch etc to get the most out of it. For example i could launch my hayabusa at 4odd k and still do a half decent time, which you wouldnt be able to on the smaller cc bikes. Im just saying if you have torque, why not use it?
    Pretty much what dean wrote shows that.

I can tell you now he's better than your average rider who tries the dragstrip i can guarantee it.

None of what I wrote said to stick it on redline to launch it. That would be pointless without a wheelie bar. You could very effectively launch these at damn near idle (like he is) because they have so much torque down low as Dean mentioned.

My point is if you run the RPM through it's whole range in every gear, you will have more power available to accelerate. That is Drag Racing. Regardless of how much torque you have on your EBR at 4k, you have more at 10k.

Since you can't use the engines maximum output for much of the race, using less throttle with more available power will allow you be at the maximum acceleration point (traction/ wheel lift) with MUCH more control. It is better than too much throttle (or just going WFO) and having less power by being in the wrong gear.

Go drag racing on ice and see what I mean.

I'm not saying the guy sucks. I don't know him, and he's probably a fine gentleman. He could be much faster on the same bike.