Thread: EBR/BUELL Cylinder sleeving by L.A. sleeves

EBRforum ProvNov

EBR/BUELL Cylinder sleeving by L.A. sleeves

Trying to Spread the word

Myself and George Dan over on FB (hes also on forum member gdisaac07 http://ebrforum.com/member.php?1288-gdisaac07) we have been in the works with L.A. Sleeve working a deal to start getting cylinders sleeved for our bikes. I have 40 cylinders along with new connecting rods and pistons which I ame selling as complete kits. We have got the ball rolling but need to send in all the cylinders in order to get it done, there is a kick start up ( https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/e...g-kit#/backers ) to fund the project. My FB is below. Check out the FB post for more info.

I have been in contact with George Dan about sending all the cylinders to L.A. Sleeves to get sleeved. George got word back from L.A. Sleeve and we are a go to have the cylinders done. From the looks of it EBR was already in the works with them but it fell apart once they shut down. The sleeves will basically be the OEM fix EBR had in the works. I will be be sending off the cylinders and shipping everything as a kit those who partake. This is a great opportunity to reestablish relationship ruined by the EBR receivership.

From George Dan:

I talked with Dave. He is 100% leaning towards going with the spun-cast ductile. He says it's extremely strong, and he'd be comfortable with thicknesses as small as 1.50mm wall thickness. For reference, the stock aluminum sleeves in the 1190 are 3.48mm, and the 1125 has 4.5. By that, he thinks we could get 1340cc out of the motor with just boring and sleeves.

That being said, we're going to stick with the stock 3.48mm sleeves and make them out of spun-cast ductile iron. This will make them bomb proof. It means we can run the engine at full attack on a race track without worrying about the engine blowing up. This is an OEM design essentially.

The only downside to going with ductile over aluminum is that the cylinders will run slightly hotter. Aluminum is a better heat conductor than ductile iron. But the stock cooling system is sized for it.

Cylinder set pricing:

$900 for complete set of 2 stock cylinders, 2 rods, 2 pistons, and wrist pins/circlips

$1500 for complete set of 2 upgraded cylinders, 2 rods, 2 pistons, and wrist pins/circlips.

I will need 10 paid pre-orders in order to be able to do the sleeving.

The reason for 10 is because I only have 10 complete sets. I will have 1 new cylinder and 1 new piston left over, 9 used cylinders, 8 rod sets, 1 lonely Rod and 4 new 1125 cylinders.

The sets will be race-ready and the cylinder cracking issues will be 100% a thing of the past.

EBRforum Novice
    Very cool. Makes me want a spare motor to do this to.

EBRforum ProvNov
    New guy here. I've owned a '99 S3 since 2000 and should have a new black '14 RX arriving by mid week that I bought from Dunbar Euro-Sports. I'd consider sleeving the cylinders but don't understand why I would need to replace the rods and pistons. If I have to buy new pistons I'd rather look into that 1340cc possibility. If my math is right, I think we're talking about a 4.42 bore? That happens to be the same diameter as a 460 Ford 4.36 with a .060 overbore.