Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rip 1190sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    That is terribly sad, sorry to hear it mrsix.

And for those beating on jap bikes i gave my hayabusa hell for ten odd years and it never missed a beat once. If this happened to me i'd never ride my ebr again and let it burn. Arent these engines broken in on dynos anyway before you pick them up?
    Well the upside is I'll know how to take the bike apart and put it back together. Speaking of which, I finally got around to tearing down the bike so I could take better pictures of the damage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180312_220657-sm.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	1912Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180312_220710-sm.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	1913Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180312_220933-sm.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	1914

Things worked out my bike was barely under warranty EBR and Liquid Asset Partners helped me out by sending me a 0 mile crated engine. "Ghost" is back together and I've been riding her easy daily.

Name:	IMG_20180324_123812-sm.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	1952

Name:	IMG_20180327_172232-sm.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	1953

Name:	IMG_20180330_171809-sm.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	295.9 KB 
ID:	1954

Now as to the failure: I purchased the bike with 372 miles on it. I did the oil change at 620 miles. I caught the oil in an empty catch pan and set it aside. When the failure happened, I had to clean and arrange my garage to accommodate disassembly which means I dumped that catch pan into a 1.6 gallon jug. The catch pan,which had only the EBR 620 mile oil and maybe some fork oil from my zx10r nearly filled that jug, conservatively I'd say 4.5 quarts.
    Someone over filled the oil And I think the reason for that may be found in the manual itself. I know there is a thread here about checking the oil.

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 8.52.10 AM.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	1955
    If you read it, the "cold engine check" should be done with the engine warm. All of the steps of the cold engine check lead you to do the hot engine check. I will go so far as to say if you are filling your oil on the side stand to near the top, or even the middle of the sight glass, you are running the risk of damaging your baby. I don't know much about dry sump motors, but from what I've read on the intert00bs over filling them is bad, and the only way to get an accurate reading is with a hot oil check.

I think overfilling the oil is a far more likely cause of rod failure than thin cylinder walls. I am no expert. I am new to EBR. I'm learning and I'm doing my damnest to do right by this bike.

Currently my bike has about 230 miles on the engine. After I got the bike back together, I ran the engine warm, added a quart of oil, raising the level to about 1/4 the way up the sight glass. I rode around a bit and found myself obessing over the sight glass. I re-read the section on checking the oil. I performed each step to the letter. I found that the oil level was way too high on the hot check and I had to drain some out.

Try it, follow the instructions to the letter and see where your oil level is on the hot check.
    Last edited by MrSix; 04-04-2018 at 04:13 PM.

That’s great news that they helped out.. that would suck to be left in the dark. Like most ebr issues lol

Quote Originally Posted by MakingPAIN View Post
    That’s great news that they helped out.. that would suck to be left in the dark. Like most ebr issues lol
    I got ****ing lucky. Upside: I know how to take my bike apart and put it back together.

EBRforum Junkie
    Put in 3.3 quarts, per the manual, and call it good. Some people put in 3.5 quarts who race. Either way, immediately warm it and do a hot oil level check on the sight glass, then mark the full level with something that won't rub off. Then you'll always know where full is and there won't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by buell-fan View Post
    Put in 3.3 quarts, per the manual, and call it good. Some people put in 3.5 quarts who race. Either way, immediately warm it and do a hot oil level check on the sight glass, then mark the full level with something that won't rub off. Then you'll always know where full is and there won't be an issue.
    hell yeah.

What are you doing with the old engine?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3E0A75E8-2540-48BD-8D16-053103B95D5E.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	1956  

Quote Originally Posted by MakingPAIN View Post
    What are you doing with the old engine?
    lol yeah... when I first posted about the failure on FB hooo boy did I get hit with gulls. My plan is to tear it down, assess the damage and rebuild. I'd thought about doing the LASLEEVE Resleeve thing but I'm not sure how that works given these cylinders aren't sleeved as I understand sleeveing. the jug, jacket and cylinder are all aluminum and the cylinder wall has a coating
    of NI SI C (Nickle Silicon Carbon) plated on. When I think sleeving, I think of a machine shop pressing out old cylinders and then pressing in new ones. I'd have to talk to them

It's a chance to learn a lot about these engines. That's worth more than the money I'd get for parts.

EBRforum Junkie
    I'd like to know for sure that you actually have the correct ecm for the exhaust. Look on the display and scroll through until you find the firmware version. Post a pic of it to satisfy my curiosity. I had someone messaging me the other day about a driveability problem, turns out it had the incorrect calibration loaded on a programmable ecm and the bike would die after idling for about 30 seconds. Nobody knew why until I asked that same question, what cal does it have on the ecm?

Quote Originally Posted by d_adams View Post
    I'd like to know for sure that you actually have the correct ecm for the exhaust. Look on the display and scroll through until you find the firmware version. Post a pic of it to satisfy my curiosity. I had someone messaging me the other day about a driveability problem, turns out it had the incorrect calibration loaded on a programmable ecm and the bike would die after idling for about 30 seconds. Nobody knew why until I asked that same question, what cal does it have on the ecm?
    It's the IDS ECM tuned for tips I'll post a pic of it later today and the Firmware version.