Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In 2018, should I buy a (new, 0 miles) 2014 EBR 1190 SX

EBRforum Newb

In 2018, should I buy a (new, 0 miles) 2014 EBR 1190 SX

Hi Folks,

As the title states I am in the market for a bike, and a dealership near me has a 2014 EBR 1190 SX with 1 mile on the odometer, list price of $7,500.00.

Should I buy this thing?

My budget is something under $9000, desired charicteristics are something with upright/standard seating position, 100 hp/ 60ft.lb torque or better, less than 20k miles, wet weight less than 500 lbs. obviously the 1190 sx fits the bill. however, I have concerns.

About me- I ride all year round, at least 3-5 days of the week. On my last ride ('15 FZ-09) I was putting on average 8,000 miles on the bike in a year. I try to do most of my maintenance myself, but I would not consider myself any kind of mechanic by any means. I have light experience tweaking/customizing/fabricating things for my bikes that I can't find on the shelf.

That being said, is the 1190 SX a good fit for me? I have heard a lot of things about EBRs, that they can be quirky or can occasionally have electrical gremlins, that parts are now becoming scarce or more expensive, and that aftermarket parts are scarce. I'm also concerned about the reliability of these bikes, and how hard they are to work on. As with any bike I own I plan to pack the miles on. I suppose it's worth noting that other bikes i'm looking at include used KTM superduke 990, Yamaha FZ1, Kawi Ninja 1000, Suzuki gxs 1000f.

Any opinions you all may have would be greatly appreciated.

-Pmuhob

The SX is pretty much the perfect bike for what you're looking for. The service intervals on this bike are really good. The manual states that you have to perform service after the first 620 miles, and then not again until 6,620, and every 6k thereafter. The parts are pretty easy to find honestly. This community has compiled a list here: http://ebrforum.com/showthread.php?1...et-parts-lists of aftermarket parts to keep the bike on the road, including all the parts that will inevitably degrade or fail. LAP, who purchased EBR, has to have a rolling parts stock for 3 more years, per DOT. Quite a few of the Buell 1125 parts, which are plentiful, fit this bike (including clutch packs, springs, etc).

I would absolutely recommend that you purchase the service manual. It will make it so that anyone with even a little bit of mechanical know-how can service every single inch of the motor and chassis.

Because it is a '14, there are some minor problems with it that the community can point out, but they're all relatively easy fixes or upgrades. I have a '17, so I don't have to deal with those issues, but the rest of the forum has a ton of information on it.

Also, that's a great price, but I bet you can push them lower. It's been sitting in their showroom for 4-5 years. They want it gone.

Welcome (hopefully) to the club!
    Last edited by gdisaac07; 02-21-2018 at 10:53 AM.
    2017 EBR 1190SX
    2009 Buell XB12scg

I agree it's well within the specs you listed that you want. It is quite a bit more than a commuter bike though because FYI, there is a BIG difference to "100 hp/ 60ft.lb torque or better," and a 185hp - 102ft/lbs rocket ship. 8k miles/year isn't crazy to ride it that much. I ride at least that much on my SX and a few guys on here commute on RX's.

If you are worried about parts availability, search on here. There are a TON of threads of people unfamiliar with Buell and EBR with that same concern. It will be fine for many many years and for many many reasons.

If you are worried about a warranty, use some of the $10,000 you are saving under MSRP to buy an aftermarket one from the dealer. They will be happy to sell it to you.

If you are worried about dealer service. Do you even take your bike to the dealer now? Any maintenance you don't want to do can be done by a regular M/C shop. A V-twin shop could do the valve adjust every 6K miles if you don't want to (it's a weekend job for a rookie). There isn't much that is EBR specific, and EBR is still open to help with that stuff.

$7500 is an excellent price for a new 2014, I wouldn't hesitate to get it at that price. IMO, It's the best deal of the century for a new bike with an MSRP of $17,995.

2014's were the first year and as the exact same bike was built for three more years they got a couple changes (not many). The only ones I would worry about is sending your dash and ECM to EBR for the latest updates.

Search around this site, BuellXB.com and badweatherbikers.com or even the Book of Faces if thats your thing. Lots of easy info to find. Us Buellers are a passionate bunch who really appreciate the love and sweat that Erik but into each one.

Buy it, post pics, be a part of this awesome community, and wipe that stupid grin off your face!

I like mine so much I have been looking at getting another just to park and look at lol. Super fun bike. Easy to work on and like cooter said if you have problems the community will try to help out as much as possible.

Pick it it up and post pictures. We are like small children on here pictures are a big thing

EBRforum ProvNov
    "The only ones I would worry about is sending your dash and ECM to EBR for the latest updates." Is this service still being offered by LAP? As an owner of a recently purchased used '14SX I have the same concern. Is there a way for me to tell if possibly it has previously been done?

BTW - I agree with the others; that's a great price for a lot of motorcycle.
    2014 EBR 1190SX
    1980 Moto Guzzi SP1000 original owner

1998 Moto Guzzi V10 Centauro
    2012 Yamaha FJR 1300
    2005 BMW R1100S BCR

"When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive" - Neil Peart 1952-2020

EBRforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by CTFutura View Post
    "The only ones I would worry about is sending your dash and ECM to EBR for the latest updates." Is this service still being offered by LAP? As an owner of a recently purchased used '14SX I have the same concern. Is there a way for me to tell if possibly it has previously been done?

BTW - I agree with the others; that's a great price for a lot of motorcycle.

Yes, Dan still does tech support and dash updates. Just spoke with him maybe 20 minutes ago, I usually chat with him 2-3 times a week. Email him at tech@ebr.com with any questions.

You can check the ECM calibration on the diagnostic screen of the dash to know if it's been done. Dan will help you with that. Super fast turn-around. help them by sending yours in with return postage in it.

If the dash has been updated your turn signal indicators will be green circles with black arrows inside. If the arrows themselves are green, you'll probably need to send it in.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Didn't mean to hi-jack OP's topic but that's good info on the upgrades for ECM and dash. I'll be checking that out this weekend and getting in contact with Dan. I guess it does relate to the OP's original concern about support for brand; it's all right here.

Thanks guys.
    2014 EBR 1190SX
    1980 Moto Guzzi SP1000 original owner

1998 Moto Guzzi V10 Centauro
    2012 Yamaha FJR 1300
    2005 BMW R1100S BCR

"When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive" - Neil Peart 1952-2020

Tech@EBR.com for the dash and ECM updates.

If you end up removing the resonator to add 'tips' or changing your muffler to something cool like a Keda, Dean Adams can supply the muffler and ECM (or Tim@IDS.com) is the source for the ECM to match it. Don't do one without the other!

Thats a great Rush quote BTW

EBRforum Newb
    Honestly I wouldnt spend anywhere near that on an EBR, the only reason i got mine is because of how cheap it was. My opinion of a bike to fit what you want is a 2017 FZ-10. There are some new leftover models for $10k but I think you can get a used one around $9k. The Yamaha even has cruise control, riding 8,000 miles a year and spending $7,500+ you are going to expect something super reliable.
    https://www.cycleworld.com/2017-yama...ad-test#page-8

I luckily havent had any issues on my 2014 1190sx yet so I shouldn't talk negatively (I've only got 2,000ish miles on it though). If you go go the EBR route I hope you are mechanically inclined because while there is some support expect to be doing maintenance yourself. When i rode it with stock ecm and exhaust it would cut out and die all the time and i would get an O2 sensor code. I got a new IDS ecm and exhaust that seems to have cured all of those. Good luck. The EBR is stupid fast, and its a ton of fun, but its going to be a challenge. Its like a red-headed hairdresser named Tiffany if you know what I mean.