Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In 2018, should I buy a (new, 0 miles) 2014 EBR 1190 SX

Konarider, those are odd choices. Spend $1500-$2500 more for a used comparable bike vs. a brand new one?? Um, ok?
    And why are you expecting more problems with your EBR? You had one strange issue but they are super reliable according to the experience of the riders on all these forums.

Maintenance is easier than many other bikes (ahem... Ducati...) and can be done by any motorcycle shop if you aren't so inclined to do it yourself. The valve adjust (same as the FZ with 1/2 as many btw...) is the standard shim under bucket most OHC motorcycle engines have so it's nothing weird.

Don't get me wrong, I love the FZ-10. Just seems like a apples/oranges thing.

EBRforum Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Konarider, those are odd choices. Spend $1500-$2500 more for a used comparable bike vs. a brand new one?? Um, ok?
    And why are you expecting more problems with your EBR? You had one strange issue but they are super reliable according to the experience of the riders on all these forums.

Maintenance is easier than many other bikes (ahem... Ducati...) and can be done by any motorcycle shop if you aren't so inclined to do it yourself. The valve adjust (same as the FZ with 1/2 as many btw...) is the standard shim under bucket most OHC motorcycle engines have so it's nothing weird.

Don't get me wrong, I love the FZ-10. Just seems like a apples/oranges thing.
    More for a bike that will fit his needs better. I'm sure the fz10 is more comfortable to commute on. The stock ecm and gearing was miserable in traffic. I like it now with a 43t sprocket but add that up with a new ecm and exhaust and you're right near that extra 1500.

Look at what people are spending on front sprocket options, shorai has discontinued the battery, people are stocking chain sliders. It just isn't a bike for the long haul. There are what 1500 ish total bikes made? I love the bikes too but they really aren't for everyone. The op said he isn't very hands on. Just my opinion. I've had a buell xb a long time and love the ebr. Certainly is a small but passionate group of owners. I'm just adding a different perspective the op might not get a lot of in this forum.
    Last edited by konarider94; 02-24-2018 at 12:51 AM.

I see your point about other options, like a cruiser or Versys may fit him. I'm not singing the praises of EBR only. He is looking at one tells me it's his type of bike. The FZ is dang near exactly the same ergo's and built to be the same naked/superbike thing the SX is. The EBR is a staggeringly better deal.

You don't need an ($800) ECM and pipe to commute. Theres a couple guys on here with 30K+ miles in 2-3 years, that would disagree with your "long haul" comment. A sprocket is a good idea (the best $30 spent on an SX IMO) maybe softer clutch springs for a stock engine. $150 for a quick shifter is a good idea too! I bought a new Shorai direct from Shorai 2 weeks ago, no worries. People can stock up whatever they like, theres still plenty in the system of dealers... and LAP... and e-bay.... but I see you point about not many made. I won't have this bike in 20 years. XB's are a low production niche bike thats now 15 years old, and no shortage of parts there.

Besides, theres really not that many proprietary parts on it and none of them are maintenance items (like most other bikes). Any fixing can be done by a regular bike mechanic, nothing special. No need for 'dealer training' BS. If someday you fall off a cliff, I wouldn't spend $7000 to fix my BMW. I'd have another brand new EBR delivered to my door for that much.

They aren't perfect, but it's a hell of a bike for $7500 BRAND NEW.
    Last edited by Cooter; 02-24-2018 at 01:39 AM.

Just Put My first 1000 KM on my new 4 year old EBR 1190 SX

Quote Originally Posted by pmuhob View Post
    Hi Folks,

As the title states I am in the market for a bike, and a dealership near me has a 2014 EBR 1190 SX with 1 mile on the odometer, list price of $7,500.00.

Should I buy this thing?

My budget is something under $9000, desired charicteristics are something with upright/standard seating position, 100 hp/ 60ft.lb torque or better, less than 20k miles, wet weight less than 500 lbs. obviously the 1190 sx fits the bill. however, I have concerns.

About me- I ride all year round, at least 3-5 days of the week. On my last ride ('15 FZ-09) I was putting on average 8,000 miles on the bike in a year. I try to do most of my maintenance myself, but I would not consider myself any kind of mechanic by any means. I have light experience tweaking/customizing/fabricating things for my bikes that I can't find on the shelf.

That being said, is the 1190 SX a good fit for me? I have heard a lot of things about EBRs, that they can be quirky or can occasionally have electrical gremlins, that parts are now becoming scarce or more expensive, and that aftermarket parts are scarce. I'm also concerned about the reliability of these bikes, and how hard they are to work on. As with any bike I own I plan to pack the miles on. I suppose it's worth noting that other bikes i'm looking at include used KTM superduke 990, Yamaha FZ1, Kawi Ninja 1000, Suzuki gxs 1000f.

Any opinions you all may have would be greatly appreciated.

-Pmuhob
    Just Purchased a new 2014 EBR 1190 SX I'm in Australia I have previously had a XB12 SS it was good but this new bike is awesome. Have just got up to first service the only trouble I have had is the starter motor brushes where stuck as the bike had been sitting around for 4 years.