Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Blown Engines

My comment wasn't about the stock fairings. It was meant to point out that a stock bike is not a race bike. Seems like you agree.

The OP was whining about blowing up race modded stock motors and blaming the OEM. Seems silly? Specifically, I meant that if the OP doesn't like buying motors for his "race bike" he would get more dependability at stock power levels, or buy a race motor (RS). Neither of which is EBR's fault. Fact, an engine modded for more power than it's design parameters, will be more apt to detonate. Something I learned with my dads lawnmower when I was 10 years old. Sorry Dad

You have an interesting comment though. The stock lower fairing around the muffler isn't sealed or remotely close to a "belly pan" and you are right, it would never pass tech as such. I'm sure if I bothered to look there are a couple internet stories of the stock fairing melting during track day runs (My old liter Ninja did that... in 1986!!), but I haven't heard of the rash of RX exhaust fires you speak of? You could certainly never "race" an RX in that condition for the reasons you mentioned. I know it isn't mandatory, but the diaper I put inside the Hot Bodies lower pan doesn't let any melting happen of even that cheap fiberglass and it's good for my confidence level too .

Edit: If it's such big problem you need to check it that often and I'm sure you've tried many things. I wonder if over-torque could be the issue? I have even had Loctite 272 (primered, clean threads) let go on an overstressed stud.
    Last edited by Cooter; 02-10-2018 at 11:20 PM.

EBRforum Novice
    [QUOTE=Cooter;12798]My comment wasn't about the stock fairings. It was meant to point out that a stock bike is not a race bike. Seems like you agree.

The OP was whining about blowing up race modded stock motors and blaming the OEM. Seems silly?

Hey Dean, do you have a disclaimer on your invoices, "Not For Road Use" "Your motor is now RACE modded, Not For Track Use"

I would hardly call a motor that runs cooler and smoother because of correct a/f ratios race modded ? So everyone here that has put on a DA exhaust , an air filter and ECU tune that takes it to a track day expect the unexpected. Ok an improvement would defineatly be to bring the rpm limiter back 500rpm. To stop any criticism on my riding style , I usually go for the short shift option and use the torque range rather than revs to get around. Never had an I4 allways VTwins.

EBRforum Junkie
    I stopped putting tags on them after I hit 500 systems built, so no disclaimers any longer. I probably should, even though it's a given as to their intended use.

Attachment 1882 He let me know

And blowing engines while racing goes hand and hand. Top fuel most the time won’t make a full pass and that like 8 horse per cubic inch. Then pro stock are like 4 horse per cubic inch. Our bikes are like 2.8 or something (all number are top of head) so a season of racing is great for something like this machine

dont get me wrong it sucks but most machines are like 1 horse per cubic inch that’s why they last. The engine physically can’t eat itself

Two hours ago also happened... Heavy smoke, roar, fire from exhaust pipe, oil in all directions... Blowed up the engine as professional motoGP racers on the track.
    Milleage is 36200 km.
    EBR 1190 RX

That sucks man, sorry to hear that.

Aren't these the sprockets you posted yesterday?

Sorry, had too.... and glad you're OK.

But the good news is there's three 1190 engines to choose from on e-bay right now for only $2k-ish! And a RS for a really cheap $5k! if you want a true "race motor".
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...br+1190&_sop=3

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    That sucks man, sorry to hear that.
    Everything is fine. I'm ok. This my second engine for three months, the first was on Z1000.
    EBR engine was giving signs to me in the summer. It has nothing to do with sprockets. Bike just tired.
    I don't care.
    Now I'm left without both bikes and I'm pedestrian. Winter is coming))) There is a time to think about buying a motorcycle. Maybe EBR again... I'm not sure if need to repair my bike and change the engine.
    Last edited by zviadi; 09-29-2018 at 12:17 AM.
    EBR 1190 RX

Glad you are ok ,

2 engines on 2 different bikes?? Why ? is the gas bad? What were your early signs in the summer on the EBR ? Thx for info.

Quote Originally Posted by EBRRider View Post
    2 engines on 2 different bikes?? Why ?
    Apparently, ride too fast
    On Z1000 - twisted rpm to cut off, very sluggish bike... 2007 MY. When buying him, mileage was 19750 km. At mileage 35030 km engine fall - rod plain turned.
    On EBR 1190 - last two years ride in city and in suburbs as on track with a knee.
    I don't regret any my bikes. Just serve scheduled maintence. The engines were fall only on three jap bikes and EBR. KTM and two Aprilias were survive, but their mileage was 15-20000 km, then I sold them. Z1000 has died to sale, EBR 1190 didn't want to sell - I love it.
    Last edited by zviadi; 09-29-2018 at 01:15 PM.
    EBR 1190 RX