Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Blown Engines

EBRforum Novice
    Is it just me or does it sound like the RX/SX motor wasn't designed for racing, like the RS, and that's the primary reason for it breaking? It's an incredibly powerful street motor, not a full time track powerplant?

I totally agree with you. It was meant to be a hyper sport street bike, and it sure is! Every bit of dependable power was wrung out of it

Once someone mods it for more power all bets are off... and then beat it on a racetrack too!?! it's safe to say your well beyond the design intent. Even if there was an EBR warranty available, I sure wouldn't expect them to honor it.

If someone wants to beat a bike mercilessly on a track and wants it to be 'dependable', it makes sense to at least leave it stock right??... Theres no way to mod it for max power and expect it to be just as dependable. No Way. Heck, I'll even drop the redline 500rpm, because I don't feel like replacing engines (twice, lol) We call it the "Horsepower Tax". If you want a faster track bike, buy a faster bike. You can't be cheap in this hobby, you'll pay eventually.

Looks like a great opportunity for the OP to get a legit 'racing' engine into his bike. I hope he's smart enough to pick one up. The outlay of cash for a nice engine will far outweigh the cost to keep replacing ones that aren't meant for that abuse. Even if he's just doing track days for fun. No winners, no glory, no money, it makes sense to keep it as cheap as you can.
    Last edited by Cooter; 01-09-2018 at 08:43 PM.

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Betterbuell View Post
    That's me ! Sort of cracked the ****s with the brand/bikes, and put them up for sale. Thing is resale is crap, and they are a better bike than their current value . Had some low ball offers on the race bike that are less than the exhaust I just put on my 1299. I'm thinking of keeping it/them and putting one on the road

I dont blame you my friend.

Yeh dude keep it on the road! If theres anyone you know that tunes them in victoria let me know, i dont know who to take it too.

I think you have remember to see it for what it is. In 2014 only the s1krr produced more peak hp. To get more you needed factory race kit parts and tuning. It wasn't until everyone up the RPMs and displacement or started including pieces of said race kits did we start to see superstock machines putting down 180hp @ the rear. And to be fair, there are a fair number of grenaded R1Ms and Zx10 out there. Great as the Apes are there are least 15 owners on the sister site with similar catastrophic issues. Let's not even mention the 1199 and its early year engine woes.

These guys pretty much ran the same set up at WSBK so unless you want to spend another 70Gs to make it a proper Superbike (under powered compared to the field) it is what it is. As a streetbike or SS contender, it's very potent.

Re-sale!?! Lol. Here's my opinion of why I think the EBR's that I love are the deal of the century.

My Duc and Bimmer buddies ask 'what if I wreck it off a cliff or blow a motor... who will fix it??'. I always reply "No one, I'll have e-bay deliver a brand new one to my door for less than your valve adjustments."

Fun fact:
    If you take the comparable 2014 Ducati 1199 (abs) vs. the 2014 EBR RX, the percentage of msrp thats left in todays re-sale market between the two is very, very close.
    Ducati (48-63%) $18,995 msrp and $9,175 to $12,070 re-sale
    http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycle...-1198cc/Values

EBR (39-55%) $17,995 msrp and $7000 to $9955 re-sale
    https://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/ebr/...icetype=retail

The EBR takes a slight dip lower (8-9%) as a result of the perception of parts availability and no factory backing. At least those are the first 2 things any 'biker' says when I pull up, lol. I haven't checked any other brand comparison, but for similar bikes I bet it's the same.
    Then theres the reality of buying a boat, RV, sportscar, or (ahem) motorcycle for 're-sale value'. You're doing it wrong. lol.

As the Cooter said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What other World class Super bike can you buy and ride for a year and sell it for about the same amount you paid for it ?? I am waiting?

EBRforum Junkie
    Here here. EBRRider!!! Not much compares to the EBR if you are looking an analog bike .

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Classax View Post
    I think you have remember to see it for what it is. In 2014 only the s1krr produced more peak hp. To get more you needed factory race kit parts and tuning. It wasn't until everyone up the RPMs and displacement or started including pieces of said race kits did we start to see superstock machines putting down 180hp @ the rear. And to be fair, there are a fair number of grenaded R1Ms and Zx10 out there. Great as the Apes are there are least 15 owners on the sister site with similar catastrophic issues. Let's not even mention the 1199 and its early year engine woes.

These guys pretty much ran the same set up at WSBK so unless you want to spend another 70Gs to make it a proper Superbike (under powered compared to the field) it is what it is. As a streetbike or SS contender, it's very potent.
    Mate, I do agree to some extent on most of your points. A pipe and ECU + tune to run at an optimum air/fuel ratio is not a high powered mod. Spark advance and rpm limits were not changed. 1500 track km is well inside acceptable rebuild distances. Yes I do accept any thing to do with track is outside of general expectations and warranty never occurred to me. Value , well if you pick one up at current devalued prices , you have little to loose. My second bike was supplied to me at a race support price, so I havent lost that much on one bike , but paid retail for the first one. Yes I did buy a faster bike, a 1299 Panigale and so far it has taken my "beatings and asking for more EBR took a rotax motor threw on a set of heads and increased the RPM to get marketable horsepower . I havent pulled either motor apart , but I would question the quality of the pistons used, on the 2014 models at least.
    The whole EBR story is quite sad, basically a great bike that needed another model to refine the brand. If Americans had supported the brand on their own turf, EBR would still be rolling off the line, possibly third generation by now!

EBRforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Betterbuell View Post
    If Americans had supported the brand on their own turf, EBR would still be rolling off the line, possibly third generation by now!
    I tried. Unfortunately, even paying retail for the first one in my state wasn't enough. I'm on my 4th one now, I've had numerous Buells over the last 10 years and it just wasn't enough. Prior to the multiple shutdowns, maybe 300 bikes out of 1100 were sold, at most. It's all about money. It costs a small fortune to do what Erik tried to do (on more than one occasion) and there simply weren't enough buyers. Lack of advertising, lack of sales and just **** luck in general did them in. The last time he tried, he put EVERYTHING he had on the line. Last I heard, he had to sell his house just to get by, basically he's broke. LAP is running the show now and it's not much of a show. All they want is more $$, they've already recuperated their initial investment of (any guesses on this?) about 1.6 million and made a fortune since then.

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    If someone wants to beat a bike mercilessly on a track and wants it to be 'dependable', it makes sense to at least leave it stock right??... Theres no way to mod it for max power and expect it to be just as dependable.
    The 1190RX is unsafe, IMHO, left stock.

The primary issue is it will catch a belly pan on fire because of the cats. So, you can either run without a fluid retaining pan -- which no race org will ever pass you through tech if you even try this -- or you have to replace the OEM exhaust because it will ignite any belly pan tight enough not to be destroyed in the normal course of track riding, even at a modest pace.

This situation is becoming increasingly common as the regulations on street vehicles are ever tighter. It's pretty hard to make a bike that will pass EPA and at the same time be safe on the race track wrung out. You can do it more easily on the lower power machines, but get into big bike territory and it's difficult.

BTW, I haven't blow up any motors, but I've been through a couple. In both cases, the clutch basket nut backed off -- even though I check that part before each race. This motor just happens to have the right mix of harmonics and unbalanced behavior that's the part it loves to shake loose. Back in the 1125r days, it was the stator nut, and a whole bunch of those motors fused main bearings from it...