Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blown Engines

EBRforum Novice

Thumbs up Blown Engines

Any one here blown a motor? Or am I the King Detonator? My bike has been track only and have so far destroyed two engines. I'm suspecting piston failure at rpm. One front and one rear cylinder . I have actually two bikes, the one still running is in std trim with std ECU and a later year engine that I purchased from a salvage shop. Both engines were original 2014. I'm also about to trial a set of modified brembo pads that suit the Brembo Ducati series 1098-1299. This will give a selection of compounds through to the dual carbon pads which should handle the heat and not tear the rotors to bits.
    Seriously

EBRforum Novice
    What oil are you using?

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by LeesEBR View Post
    What oil are you using?
    20/50W , oil is going to give you bearing failures, not pistons ending up in two pieces .

What exhaust and ECM are you running on the track bike?
    "Love is the never ending act of forgiveness" -Peter Ustinov

2017 EBR 1190SX
    2000 Buell M2
    1995 Buell S2 (x2)

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by phelan View Post
    What exhaust and ECM are you running on the track bike?
    Using the factory race pipe ex Larry Pegram stock and an IDS ECU , which we dyno tuned. Another guy has the IDS ecu tuned by the same guy and we both achieved 176 rwhp , his is a road bike and apparently going the distance. Not massive numbers, my Pannigale same dyno 194, so I dont think its the tune. Having said that , if I put another motor in it I'm going to retard the ignition advance in the last 1000rpm and or bring the rev limit back 500. We didnt play with the ignition and actually fed more fuel into a/f ratio up high to allow for ram air effect. Personally I dont believe these motors are capable of sustaining higher rpms. Yeah, I know ride the torque, but in race situations and rev out type tracks you get sucked into going to the limiter. (especially when all the dashes Ive had have failed.!

Any one know of a motor kicking about ?

Perhaps 160 RWHP in stock is the safe constructional limit for this engine?
    And all racing ECU and increased RPM - at your risk. You can reach 175-180 RWHP, but not for long. The engine design and the materials are not intended for this.

Not the first time I read about broken engines in any races and when using racing exhaust and racing ECU. Therefore, I use my bike in stock exhaust and ECU. I also often run on high RPM and don't want to change engine every 1000 miles.
    I don't race and don't ride on track on my 1190. Just street riding.
    Last edited by zviadi; 01-02-2018 at 05:54 AM.
    EBR 1190 RX

EBRforum Novice
    Hey OP thats sad to hear, makes me mad tbh.

It's why i tell everyone if you're going to buy something you're going to beat on often, cant go past a gsxr you cant kill them. But that's just my opinion!
    I love my ebr dont get me wrong but im hesitant to give it grief often.

EBRforum Novice

Quote Originally Posted by zviadi View Post
    Perhaps 160 RWHP in stock is the safe constructional limit for this engine?
    And all racing ECU and increased RPM - at your risk. You can reach 175-180 RWHP, but not for long. The engine design and the materials are not intended for this.

Not the first time I read about broken engines in any races and when using racing exhaust and racing ECU. Therefore, I use my bike in stock exhaust and ECU. I also often run on high RPM and don't want to change engine every 1000 miles.
    I don't race and don't ride on track on my 1190. Just street riding.
    I think you may be correct

It would be interesting to ask these questions to Erik - can he clarify this situation?
    And further. If I'm not mistaken, 1190 RS engine has titanium rods and forged pistons. Can it make sense to use this engine for tuning and racing? He must have a greater margin of safety.
    EBR 1190 RX

I also believe the problem lies with the mods or the use, not the brand. Otherwise there would be a rash of EBR's with the same issue.

So far, keeping the inside bits... inside... has not been an issue for anyone else.