Thread: Blown Engines

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My comment wasn't about the stock fairings. It was meant to point out that a stock bike is not a race bike. Seems like you agree.

The OP was whining about blowing up race modded stock motors and blaming the OEM. Seems silly? Specifically, I meant that if the OP doesn't like buying motors for his "race bike" he would get more dependability at stock power levels, or buy a race motor (RS). Neither of which is EBR's fault. Fact, an engine modded for more power than it's design parameters, will be more apt to detonate. Something I learned with my dads lawnmower when I was 10 years old. Sorry Dad

You have an interesting comment though. The stock lower fairing around the muffler isn't sealed or remotely close to a "belly pan" and you are right, it would never pass tech as such. I'm sure if I bothered to look there are a couple internet stories of the stock fairing melting during track day runs (My old liter Ninja did that... in 1986!!), but I haven't heard of the rash of RX exhaust fires you speak of? You could certainly never "race" an RX in that condition for the reasons you mentioned. I know it isn't mandatory, but the diaper I put inside the Hot Bodies lower pan doesn't let any melting happen of even that cheap fiberglass and it's good for my confidence level too .

Edit: If it's such big problem you need to check it that often and I'm sure you've tried many things. I wonder if over-torque could be the issue? I have even had Loctite 272 (primered, clean threads) let go on an overstressed stud.
    Last edited by Cooter; 02-10-2018 at 11:20 PM.