Thread: EBR Valve Adjustment

EBRforum ProvNov

EBR Valve Adjustment

I am looking to do my valve adjustment during the holidays. Does anyone have a step by step guide to adjusting the valves? I understand that it can be done without rotating the motor or pulling the frame. I assume you have to pull the subframe correct?

Also, does the adjustment require a cam lock, and how do you find TDC?

Thanks!

Copy and paste

I have not done it yet , But I have been told its just like the 1125 ,this should help you .

file:///C:/Users/Redwood%20Bridges/Desktop/Buell_1125_Service(1).pdf

http://buellmods.com/
    Last edited by EBRRider; 12-24-2017 at 09:17 AM.

EBRforum Junkie
    It doesn't work.

Seriously no offense intended, asking those questions means you should take your fine motorcycle to a professional V-twin mechanic.

The step-by-step guide should read:
    1) Get access to the valve shims
    2) Set to proper spec
    3) Re-assemble

How do you find TDC? A cam lock?? Do you know what that is? Trust me when I tell you it will be much better and much cheaper to lets the pro's do this one for you this time. Learn how to do this job on a less critical machine. Got an old 4 stroke bike around? Get a couple practice runs on something disposable and you may see the light,then young Skywalker will you be ready to use the force.

There is nothing 'special' about the valve adjust procedure on an EBR, but there's a whole lot more to the job than a "step-by-step guide" and there is major risk involved if you are so inexperienced that you need that 'guide'. Do you know what a feeler gauge feels like with the proper clearance? A "guide" can't teach you that.

I am all for people learning mechanics and doing their own work, but start easy and work your way up. No one does brain surgery the first day of medical school.
    Last edited by Cooter; 12-24-2017 at 12:42 AM.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Removed rear subframe but was stumped by the airbox. I assume you guys are totally dissembling the airbox / throttle bodies. It would be nice if the whole assembly lifted out with a couple of bolts. There are hose clamps around the front throttle body that are nearly impossible to get to. There has to be an easier way to at least get to the heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbaker229 View Post
    Removed rear subframe but was stumped by the airbox. I assume you guys are totally dissembling the airbox / throttle bodies. It would be nice if the whole assembly lifted out with a couple of bolts. There are hose clamps around the front throttle body that are nearly impossible to get to. There has to be an easier way to at least get to the heads.
    Here is a Dean Adams pic.
    Attachment 1856

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    How do you find TDC? A cam lock?? Do you know what that is?
    None of these are required for valve adjustments on the EBR.

One of the really nice things about this bike is how easy valve adjustments are. I've personally never seen another motor like it -- the other motors I'm familiar with require the cam to be pulled for an adjustment.

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbaker229 View Post
    I assume you guys are totally dissembling the airbox / throttle bodies. It would be nice if the whole assembly lifted out with a couple of bolts. There are hose clamps around the front throttle body that are nearly impossible to get to. There has to be an easier way to at least get to the heads.
    Mostly, it goes easily, just go slow the first time.

The air box is held in by 4 M8 bolts and the hose clamps. A 16" screwdriver will make the job a lot easier -- just get underneath the showerheads.

There's lots of little gaskets and fidigity bits around the air box. Take pictures as you pull apart for reference and go slow.

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Thunder View Post
    It doesn't work.
    The PDF corrupted at some point. I haven't re-uploaded it yet.