Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Tires?

EBRforum Novice

New Tires?

I didn't see a good discussion on tires, so I guess I'll start one?

I've run out the stockers at ~5200 miles. Looking for replacements.

I do about 85 miles a day, highway. Wet roads, though not necessarily when it's raining unless I get caught in it. Looking for something that will stick in the water better than these Diablo's (takeoff's are 'eventful') but also last a bit longer mileage-wise. I really don't do much corner carving at all, but I assume that wet traction translates into good dry traction as well.

Ideas?

My first consideration is Pilot Road 4's.

Is it safe to run a 190/55 73W? These Diablo's are 195/55 75W.
    Last edited by LeesEBR; 11-27-2017 at 05:06 PM.

EBRforum Junkie
    Well I cheaped out & bought Bridgestone BT16 Pro. Went through a couple of sets on my Tuono & I love them. They are not the latest greatest tires but I was a Pirelli snob for many years but these things work. Not to mention that they can be cheap as chips. I bought a couple of sets for $130(Yes 2 tires). A couple of sets for $137 & a few single rears for under $100!
    Unless you need them for track days or think you are to good a rider for them.

I put Rosso IIIs on mine the other day but no miles on them yet. My stock tires were uncomfortable shot at 2300 miles.
    "Love is the never ending act of forgiveness" -Peter Ustinov

2017 EBR 1190SX
    2000 Buell M2
    1995 Buell S2 (x2)

EBRforum Novice
    I've been reading more and more about the Roadsmart 3's. I really liked my Q3's a few years back, so I think i'll give the Roadsmart's a shot, especially considering they're like $40-$50 cheaper per rear than the PR4 or Angel GT (that I keep reading raves about). Those tires are too old to cost that much, imho.

Thinking about a Angel GT , only got 2200 on my stocker , and 1200 on my Dunlop sportmax GP A pro..

https://youtu.be/prurD8oqjzo

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dunlop .jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	513.2 KB 
ID:	1835
    Last edited by EBRRider; 11-28-2017 at 05:34 PM.

EBRforum Novice
    I put on the Roadsmart 3. Already the rear end feels waaay more connected to the road and more solid under my ass.

EBRforum Junkie
    Use caution in the rain/wet with those, I've had mine break loose on a few occasions. Too much power, light bike = hydroplane. Not a lot of fun, it certainly got my attention. They seem to wear well on dry pavement so far. Several guys questioned me about it when I posted about installing them. My reasoning was extended wear versus the short lifespan of the stock tires.

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by d_adams View Post
    Use caution in the rain/wet with those, I've had mine break loose on a few occasions. Too much power, light bike = hydroplane. Not a lot of fun, it certainly got my attention. They seem to wear well on dry pavement so far. Several guys questioned me about it when I posted about installing them. My reasoning was extended wear versus the short lifespan of the stock tires.
    I'm always weary in the wet, the stockers were horrible, I can't imagine these being any worse. Yesterday I was breaking the rear loose in 3rd gear at like 60mph trying to merge onto the freeway...ridiculous (Diablo).

I was looking for lots of highway miles but still grippy on turns...neither of which those Diablo's did well at all.

Thats so weird? I liked the stock Pirelli Corsa 2's (3200 miles) so much I got another set ($230 RockymountainATV.com)! Ran them to no chicken strips from HWY 2 to trackdays at Chuckwalla. It doesn't rain here in Cali too much but I've ripped across wet pavement mid corner and other than getting my heart rate going, they didn't wobble at all. Are yours particularly old?

Corsa 2s? My 2017 came with Supercorsas from the factory. Sticky, but did not last long (2300 miles).
    "Love is the never ending act of forgiveness" -Peter Ustinov

2017 EBR 1190SX
    2000 Buell M2
    1995 Buell S2 (x2)