Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Display

EBRforum Newb

Display

Who and where can I send my dash for update and repair. I keep getting a communication error.

EBRforum Junkie
    You would be the first, but I would send it to HED in Wisconsin. They manufactured these things, and at nearly a 25% failure rate.

Because they were manufactured by them to be put in service on a vehicle certified for public road use, you would think that there has got to be some lemon law requiring them or LAP, the owner of EBR, to remedy a fix for the problem. No one with the communication error has complained about it to the right people, or filed the right paperwork yet. (I haven't had the error, so I can't at this point.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tonz RX View Post
    Who and where can I send my dash for update and repair. I keep getting a communication error.
    http://ebrforum.com/showthread.php?1541-EBR-Dash-form

http://www.erikbuellracing.net/store...rogrammed.html
    Last edited by EBRRider; 05-27-2018 at 02:57 PM.

EBRforum Newb
    1) The dash update offered by EBR is a software update - it has nothing to do with the physical hardware in the display which may lead to a comm error
    2) One cannot just go waving the 'lemon law' banner around as a catch all:
    *Lemon Laws vary by state - without knowing the state and applicable laws, this option may or may not be relevant
    * Where did you buy this bike? Does it have an existing warranty? If without a current warranty, lemon laws will not apply (pursuant to state law nuances).
    * We can't just send a defective part to a supplier and get a replacement - that's not how this works.....that's not how any of this works. The manufacturer (EBR) specs a part, stress tests (ahem) pre-production samples and then orders. USUALLY, there are stipulations for unit failure rates worked out between the supplier and manufacturer that would trigger a compensation or recall clause in the supply contract. Nothing has been announced by EBR that would indicate this is the case in this situation. HED (rightfully) has brushed off any queries from end users.

Sorry - forgot the OP. If no warranty exists on your bike: you'd have to buy a new dash, go without a dash (no turn signals), or develop an aftermarket solution. To date, there is no repair known for the PCB failure in the dash.
    Last edited by Mope; 10-24-2017 at 03:55 PM.

This ^^^^

Its a small penalty for saving $10k off list price of the bike

That sucks OP, but with no warranty, I'd just buy one. Check e-bay. The motorcycle wreckers are asking "new" parts prices for stuff that you can still get from the dealer so check list prices first.

Maybe you can swap the motherboard from this one?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-BUELL-...p=mtr#viTabs_0

Must buy new dash and I would not put any used 2014 parts in or on it..

EBRforum ProvNov
    Any new and improved options for correcting the Comm Error? I got my first one a few days back, 2014 SX #168, 2000 miles. Bike ran fine to the coffee shop and then died on restart about 45 minutes later. Followed by four or five start attempts with no fire. Dash flashed the Comm error and Said Low Fuel pressure once. About the sixth start attempt, it fired up and I headed strait for home, idle was a little rough so I kept the RPM's up at intersections but it died once anyway but restarted fine. With my house in sight, I was able to run it up to near full power for a gear or two to see if WOT was affected, seemed pretty good. Coincidentally all this on it's first ride out with a new APH dual exit exhaust and matching IDS 44-tooth ECM. I hate it when an issue surfaces just after a parts swap, so I know that swapping back to the factory ECM to see if the issue continues is next in the troubleshooting list of things to do. Dash and original ECM were shipped out to LAP/EBR for the Dash update earlier and ran a few tanks since then. I pulled the dash out for inspection for cold/stressed solder joints and to Pott all the connectors as suggested in previous posts. Upon disassembly, I see that mine has already been Potted at all the suggested places so can't (without razor knifing the Potting material) pull the circuit board up/off to inspect for cracked circuit traces and the like. Email has been sent off to EBR for the official $$$ repair option..

EBRforum ProvNov
    Update....
    Upon inspection of the Dash, I find that it has already been Potted and EBR tells me that based on it's serial number it is not the original one for my bike. Also told me it is one of the later, improved ones that are "post" "Comm Error". I contacted the Dealer that I purchased the bike from about any repair history on it prior to it being sold to me as the first owner. They said that other than a first 600 mile service, there were no other issues or services performed on the bike. It was their Demo bike when I purchased it new with just over 600 miles on it. The only time I had the Dash out was for the Free Dash and ECM Firmware upgrade about last year. EBR said they didn't switch it out, so it's a mystery how I ended up with a later model dash. Back to the troubleshooting..
    After clearing all the faults, I re installed the original ECM and the bike still had an intermittent fuel system fault that continued to get worse. I noticed that it also showed a zillion other faults after swapping the ECM. I cleared them all and put the APH IDS ECM back in to continue with trouble shooting. Upon swapping the ECM, I got more Faults, including the Comm. I cleared them all to start fresh and was only getting Fuel System Faults from then on. The fuel pump issue progressed to a completely non-working fuel pump while tinkering in the garage for bad grounds, chaffed harnesses etc. Working backwards from the pump to the wiring on the harness to see where things were changing from good to bad electrically, I found that the four pin Weather-Pac looking Fuel pump connector, to the main bike harness, one of the connection had a bad female contact on the Pump ground wire. There are little spring loaded wiper strips inside the female contact that keep good pressure and contact to the male pins. The "wiper" was completely pushed back out of the way and was not making contact with the male pin when assembled. I tweeked the wiper back to the center of the contact and reassembled the plug. The bike started instantly. I re-assembled everything and four short separate (close to home) test drive trips totaling about 150 miles finds everything working perfectly, no faults and the bike runs like a scalded cat. So, so far, I think my Comm fault may have been just from swapping out ECM's within seconds of turning off the key and the Dash hadn't internally gone fully off like it would if you let it sit key off for a half an hour and then swapped parts. As for my bike having an updated Dash that supposedly wasn't even made when I bought it? Who knows, The EBR guys say that they would have sent my original one back that I sent in for update so the mystery goes unsolved. Hopefully with the newer Dash, the Comm issue will never return to haunt me...
    Happy mike...

Glad it worked out and thanks for posting what you found!

Glad to hear there is a happy ending !

http://www.erikbuellracing.net/store...rogrammed.html
    Last edited by EBRRider; 05-27-2018 at 02:57 PM.