Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is There Any Hope for a Revived EBR?

EBRforum Novice
    It probably would have been best if HD had sold Buell to Can-Am/BRP when they shut everything down. oh well. Those parallel twins would have been a different configuration and exhaust note to get used too.

Looks like all the 2017 RX sold now. Just a couple 15/16 ones with the rest 2014. It'll be a long sit on the showrooms for them. At this point I'd be more interested if EBR came back as Electric Bike Racing.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Quote Originally Posted by 1190SX View Post
    I like made in America as much as the next guy, but 20k for an EBR? I'll buy another BMW or a Ducati
    Yup not worth that much.Not fast enough or well known.It could get away with lack of electronics from a marketing standpoint if it was killing every brand in power along with its already excellent handling.

EBRforum Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    "Scrambler Buell line of skinny jeans, plad shirts and orange lensed Aviator sunglasses" so funny, and so sadly very true.

IMO, The biggest hurdle for EBR was being late to the game. It's a world class bike to be sure! When it was designed in 2012.

Look at what every other MFG offers in an electronic package today. A 225hp super bike with heated grips, cruise control, Lean angle sensitive ABS, Ride Modes... It's not just the pretty TFT screen with the angle meter... Heck the new RSV-4 can be programmed for different rev limits, traction control, wheelie control, etc... PER CORNER... with your i-Phone.

People WANT that and EBR never had the massive capital to design it on the RX/SX. I'm an analog guy and a purist, so I appreciate my SX as such but most people like the 'safety' of intervening computer controls:( Erik will never be 'that guy'.

You're right!

I read an article earlier in the week on Yamaha's new 2018 YZ450F. The bike's EFI can now be tuned by using an App on a phone. It's cray cray!

From most of the interviews with Erik that I have seen, he wasn't into the electronics like everyone else. Not only did he not have the money to dabble in R@D with ABS and bank angle tech but it almost felt like he didn't like that stuff and was only doing it for sales. Which is smart. I am more into the raw untamed feeling of a motorcycle than a bunch of buttons and sensors telling me to go slower. I love these Bikes I think with the right backer that just let Erik and his team fly with what they think will work, these Bikes would be world class.......

Quote Originally Posted by 1190SX View Post
    I like made in America as much as the next guy, but 20k for an EBR? I'll buy another BMW or a Ducati

If done right, it would be an improved, race-winning EBR with more power, electronics, exhaust that didn't look like it was an afterthought etc.

Your 20K would be getting you one of the rarest, most unique superbikes on the planet. You still might be interested, but they don't need to sell to you or the vast majority of the motorcycling public. They need a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of motorcycle buyers to get started, and they do that by selling the uniqueness. That's how the original Buell started and it worked up until Harley bought them and sucked the life out of them.

In the '70s, BMW's and Ducatis were quirky and couldn't compete with Japanese bikes which had better performance, better reliability, lower prices broader dealer networks etc. But both brands focused on their unique characteristics and marketed to people who paid more for those unique characteristics until both companies grew to the point that they could compete more directly with larger volume bikes.

When you're selling fewer than 1000 hand-built bikes a year, you need to market to people who want a rare, unique, hand-built bike. You don't sell them at a loss hoping demand will eventually increase. That's what killed EBR... twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
    Hell, Steve got me interested in the KTM: the 790 Duke. They have a hell of a promo video showing a rider ripping it up. That bike won't be released until late this year or early next. Just think if EBR had had something similar in their showrooms ~1 year ago.

I actually hadn't seen that bike. It is very interesting. I'm not a fan of the styling (I guess I'm just getting old, but it seems like bikes these days have way to many colors, sharp edges on bodywork etc.). I like simple, plain and not looking like it's trying too hard to look flashy.

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by MakingPAIN View Post
    From most of the interviews with Erik that I have seen, he wasn't into the electronics like everyone else. Not only did he not have the money to dabble in R@D with ABS and bank angle tech but it almost felt like he didn't like that stuff and was only doing it for sales. Which is smart. I am more into the raw untamed feeling of a motorcycle than a bunch of buttons and sensors telling me to go slower. I love these Bikes I think with the right backer that just let Erik and his team fly with what they think will work, these Bikes would be world class.......
    I agree and im the same.. But unfortunetly unless you're a very talented rider, these litre plus bikes will always be faster on the tracks with rider aids on....

Just have a look at the new bmw s1000rr competion bike...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FS5GGnAgvw

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    I agree and im the same.. But unfortunetly unless you're a very talented rider, these litre plus bikes will always be faster on the tracks with rider aids on....

Just have a look at the new bmw s1000rr competion bike...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FS5GGnAgvw

And even professional riders use rider aids to go faster now days. Its the future, just like in cars, get with the times or get left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    If done right, it would be an improved, race-winning EBR with more power, electronics, exhaust that didn't look like it was an afterthought etc.

Your 20K would be getting you one of the rarest, most unique superbikes on the planet. You still might be interested, but they don't need to sell to you or the vast majority of the motorcycling public. They need a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of motorcycle buyers to get started, and they do that by selling the uniqueness. That's how the original Buell started and it worked up until Harley bought them and sucked the life out of them.

In the '70s, BMW's and Ducatis were quirky and couldn't compete with Japanese bikes which had better performance, better reliability, lower prices broader dealer networks etc. But both brands focused on their unique characteristics and marketed to people who paid more for those unique characteristics until both companies grew to the point that they could compete more directly with larger volume bikes.

When you're selling fewer than 1000 hand-built bikes a year, you need to market to people who want a rare, unique, hand-built bike. You don't sell them at a loss hoping demand will eventually increase. That's what killed EBR... twice.

If it was a completely rethought and well thought out bike I might pay 20k. As it is now? Nope.

I got my sx for $8800 bucks not 20 grand.. now a full carbon race bike with rider aids is a 20k bike to me even with a 6 year old motor design.