Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 620 mile service random report

EBRforum ProvNov

620 mile service random report

620 mile service on 1190 RX:

If you do the oil change with the bike on the sidestand, you'll receive an added benefit: the sidestand will get lubed by the oil dripping all over and down it. It does specify checking the sidestand but not lubricating it.

Does anyone else think 11Nm is too tight for the oil filter cap bolts? I felt sure I was going to strip the threads or break the bolts, so I stopped at 6Nm. I'm pretty sure they weren't even that tight when I took them out.

I drained the oil very well, tipping the bike each way with both drain plugs out, and added 3.3 US qts as instructed. This put the oil level right at the top mark for hot check. I have a feeling I'm going to be wiping a few ounces off the bike once I ride it hard and it escapes the breather and drips out of the airbox, which mine has been doing at this oil level. Why do the instructions for hot check say to take the fill cap off just before uprighting the bike and checking the level? Doesn't seem necessary to me.

Thank you EBR for the notch in the plastic cover next to the oil fill!!! It's perfect for pouring oil in from the Amsoil bottles. Great thinking!

I adjusted the throttle cable at the adjustment point near the throttle tube and took the free play out. Wow, it's much better now; that was really bugging me. I hope it never has to be adjusted at the throttle bodies, that looks about impossible.

That little tab on the plastic filler panel in the subframe trellis that butts up against the left rear airbox cover tab bolt? It's dumb. It doesn't fit into/behind anything and it makes the piece stick out and look funny right there. I trimmed the tab off and it looks much better.

I discovered something interesting about the coolant reservoir. The owner's manual says to fill it to the midpoint and shows a picture of it on an SX with a "Cold Fill" line at about the midpoint. It also describes how to view it on the RX. The "Cold Fill" label on mine is at the very bottom of the reservoir, like it's supposed to barely have anything in it, which is what I've been going by. Did the decal get put too low? Also, it does not specify if the bike should be upright or on the sidestand when checking this.

So glad to be done with this service and out of engine break-in. The only thing I didn't do yet is check/adjust the chain, which I plan to do this week.
    Last edited by depechevelle; 07-23-2017 at 11:22 PM.

EBRforum ProvNov
    I also installed the resistor plug for the de-noid and yay! No more CEL. Been riding around with that on for a couple weeks.

Yes, good write up .

Yes kick stand gets oiled been wiping for a few wks now, oil 3.3 is good, dont start bike with oil filler plug out makes a mess dont ask how I know . , I looked at the cable at throttle bodies will be a challenge to access, throttle free play does bug me also adj cables, I trimmed the left tap also on my SX , You should clean you air filter mine at 600 was bugged up alot of air for a little filter. Running Deans Race ECM so no CEL for the missing de-noid.
    Last edited by EBRRider; 07-23-2017 at 10:04 PM.

EBRforum Junkie
    That much oil means something in the emissions isn't venting right. EBR rider is right about the air filter, they need cleaned very often. The way to keep the side stand from an oil bath is to invest in a rear spool stand or make a "tape funnel" stuck to the engine case under the plugs. These stands also work great for cleaning and lubing the chain.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Quote Originally Posted by EBRRider View Post
    don't start bike with oil filler plug out makes a mess don't ask how I know .
    LOL

I did inspect the air filter and it was clean. I've had a couple sets of pit stands in the past but currently don't have any, I'm considering getting some new ones. The chain tension was just barely in spec at 32MM measured exactly as described/shown in the owner's manual. No wear on the rub. I'll keep a close eye on that.
    Last edited by depechevelle; 07-25-2017 at 01:11 PM.

EBRforum Junkie
    I leave my chain about that loose, as it nearly immediately wears to that sag after each re-tension service anyways.

If your looking for rear stands, get the widest one you can find or plan on using a porta-power to stretch it!

depechevelle - Did you pull the screen to check for debris? It can be done without pulling the exhaust but it makes it a lot easier.

EBRRider - There is a throttle cable adjustment just a few inches from the lever and it isn't necessary to get into the airbox.

Try using a piece of cardboard to funnel the oil into a pan so it doesn't just pour on the stand. I keep beer boxes to use for this kind of stuff

Quote Originally Posted by TerryS1980 View Post
    depechevelle - Did you pull the screen to check for debris? It can be done without pulling the exhaust but it makes it a lot easier.

EBRRider - There is a throttle cable adjustment just a few inches from the lever and it isn't necessary to get into the airbox.

Try using a piece of cardboard to funnel the oil into a pan so it doesn't just pour on the stand. I keep beer boxes to use for this kind of stuff
    Terry , Yes I did expand that adjustment, What Screen are you referring to check for debris ?

EBRforum ProvNov
    This should help...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1190 strainer.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	214.5 KB 
ID:	1609