Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Fuel Pump

EBRforum Newb

Bad Fuel Pump

So I've been lurking on this forum for a few months gaining info about my 14 1190rx I purchased a few months back. Well now I could use some expertise. Yesterday, I go to start the bike after sitting a week and when I turned the key, there was no "whooshing" sound. I tried to start the bike but it just cranked. I turned the key off and back on and next thing I know, I hear the fuel pump kick on and the bike fires right up. Later on in the night, I have the bike idling showing a friend it and it just cuts off. I turned the key off and back on, but this time no matter what, I cannot seem to get the fuel pump to kick on.

Things I've tried to far:
    -Checked fuses - everything looks good. Even wiggled the wires going into the fuse box to make sure it wasn't a bad connection into it.
    -Checked the 4 pin connector by the battery and nothing seems to be abnormal, all of the pins look good. Wiggled this connector as well to no avail.
    -I definitely hear a relay kick on when I turn the kill switch to "run"

So at this point, I'm wondering if I have a bad connection at the fuel pump or a bad fuel pump. Everything I've researched thus far about the bikes with bad connections at the fuel pump have only caused a low fuel light. I'm definitely in need of help!

UPDATE (5/23/18):
    Issue has been fixed! Fuel pump itself was good, but a broken ground connection within the fuel pump assembly was causing it to cut out. More details/pics can be found on page 4 post #32
    Last edited by Buellster; 05-23-2018 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Fixed Issue!!

EBRforum Newb
    I found an electrical diagram for the fuel pump system so later I plan to poke around and see what I can find. Guess I'm on my own on this one.

EBRforum Newb
    Update: power is going to the fuel pump when I checked the harness connector by the battery, so that eliminate the fuse, relays and kill switch circuits.

Turned bikes key on two days after poking around with the multimeter and wouldn't u know it the pump kicked on. I rode the bike for probably an hr and turned it off then back on about a half dozen times with no issues. After riding an hr the bike cuts off and is right back to the fuel pump not kicking on. Next step is pulling the fuel pump out and examining the connects on it.

Pump could be messed up.. we all know fuel will ruin pumps and injectors if it gets to sit around and collect water and dry out over time. Corrosion. The bike is a 2014, this could be the problem

EBRforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Buellster View Post
    Update: power is going to the fuel pump when I checked the harness connector by the battery, so that eliminate the fuse, relays and kill switch circuits.

Turned bikes key on two days after poking around with the multimeter and wouldn't u know it the pump kicked on. I rode the bike for probably an hr and turned it off then back on about a half dozen times with no issues. After riding an hr the bike cuts off and is right back to the fuel pump not kicking on. Next step is pulling the fuel pump out and examining the connects on it.
    Check your wiring harness grounds. There have been a few instances of them coming loose and keeping the bike from running right.

Quote Originally Posted by Buellster View Post
    So I've been lurking on this forum for a few months gaining info about my 14 1190rx I purchased a few months back. Well now I could use some expertise. Yesterday, I go to start the bike after sitting a week and when I turned the key, there was no "whooshing" sound. I tried to start the bike but it just cranked. I turned the key off and back on and next thing I know, I hear the fuel pump kick on and the bike fires right up. Later on in the night, I have the bike idling showing a friend it and it just cuts off. I turned the key off and back on, but this time no matter what, I cannot seem to get the fuel pump to kick on.

Things I've tried to far:
    -Checked fuses - everything looks good. Even wiggled the wires going into the fuse box to make sure it wasn't a bad connection into it.
    -Checked the 4 pin connector by the battery and nothing seems to be abnormal, all of the pins look good. Wiggled this connector as well to no avail.
    -I definitely hear a relay kick on when I turn the kill switch to "run"

So at this point, I'm wondering if I have a bad connection at the fuel pump or a bad fuel pump. Everything I've researched thus far about the bikes with bad connections at the fuel pump have only caused a low fuel light. I'm definitely in need of help!

Did you look very close to at your plug ?? Here is what to look for .see the second from the top ? That is a known issue.

Attachment 1579

EBRforum Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by buell-fan View Post
    Check your wiring harness grounds.
    Good idea, I didn't think of that.

Quote Originally Posted by EBRRider View Post
    Did you look very close to at your plug ?? Here is what to look for .see the second from the top ? That is a known issue.

Attachment 1579
    Thats the one by the battery I checked with the multimeter. All the pins looked good, and i even bent the male ends a bit down to ensure a better connection

EBRforum Junkie
    If you need to buy a fuel pump, shoot me a PM. I know of a dealership that still has one fuel pump brand new in the box sitting on their shelves that they haven't sold, and I'm sure they would give you a good price.

You da man....:)

EBRforum Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by qurtrn10 View Post
    If you need to buy a fuel pump, shoot me a PM. I know of a dealership that still has one fuel pump brand new in the box sitting on their shelves that they haven't sold, and I'm sure they would give you a good price.
    Pm sent. Thank u