Thread: Another problem, fuel odor

EBRforum ProvNov

Another problem, fuel odor

So for the last week or so, about 10 or 15 minutes after I park the RX the garage smells strongly like gasoline. There are no liquid leaks. I suspect it has to do with the vapor recovery system under the airbox. It didn't do this before, been parking exactly the same way. The first time it did it I had just fueled up, but it's done it every time since even with the tank getting low. Anyone else?

EBRforum Novice
    Nah mine doesnt at all and it has 14,000 odd miles.

My last bike did although that was due to running abit too rich in the tune i think.

Fumes build up in the air box from the shower fuel injectors, normal, both of mine do it.

EBRforum ProvNov
    It stinks up the garage for hours, I don't even know how many, it smells fine the next morning. Just seems odd that it wasn't doing it before. I'll take a closer look when I have the airbox apart again soon. I de-noided but haven't received the resistor plug yet so CEL is on but hopefully that part will show up soon. The vapor recovery stuff looked fine when I performed the mod. If it's normal, so be it.

EBRforum Junkie
    Look for cracks in the welded plastic around that vapor canister area. Seems like one other owner had this happen a year ago and that's what he found.

EBRforum ProvNov
    I have noticed a gas scent from both my EBR and my Buell XB12, the fuel in frame gets pretty warm after shutdown and would create a vapor pressure, I have attributed mine to that.

EBRforum Junkie
    Um...NOT "normal".
    Mine RX's got just over 30,000 miles, driven almost every day, lives in the garage at night. Has never smelled of gas, except when taking it apart for valve adjustment time..!

Mike

EBRforum ProvNov
    Quote Originally Posted by buell-fan View Post
    Look for cracks in the welded plastic around that vapor canister area. Seems like one other owner had this happen a year ago and that's what he found.
    I had seen that post...I did look at this, and it looked fine, but I don't suppose I had proper equipment to really test for vapor leak. That said, it has seemed to dissipate the last few times I parked it, in fact I rode it yesterday and didn't even notice a fuel odor thereafter. I'll keep a nose out for it.

EBRforum ProvNov
    I take that last comment back. It's still doing it