Thread: Uh-oh, is this bolt important?

EBRforum ProvNov

Uh-oh, is this bolt important?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20170706_005.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	465.9 KB 
ID:	1533So I found this bolt on the ground where I've been parking my 1190RX at work. I can't say for sure that it came from my bike as two other bikes and some cars park there too. A couple of the threads are a little boogered up but I think I may have run over it with my car. Anyway, I can't find a bolt missing anywhere!

Why I think it came from my bike: It's black, it's shiny, it looks new, it the style and color used on my bike, it was on the ground exactly where I park it every day.

Why I think I might not be: Wouldn't it have fallen out while I was riding somewhere?, I can't find any bolts missing, most of this style bolt on my bike have knurled heads, the two I see that don't (bolt swingarm together on left side) have different stampings on the head than this one.

Anyone else have a bolt fall out? I checked all motor mounts, exhaust tabs, and everything else I could think of without tearing the bike apart.

Edit: The bolt also had a black flat washer on it, not shown in the picture (because I misplaced it), and most of this style bolt that I see on the bike don't have a washer.
    Last edited by depechevelle; 07-09-2017 at 01:18 PM.

EBRforum Junkie
    Exhaust bolt, left side, just forward of the kickstand. The tab breaks on occasion and the whole thing falls off, rarely does the bolt back out on it's own though.

EBRforum Novice
    Lol my bolt on the right side that holds the exhaust shield went awol as well!

EBRforum ProvNov
    Quote Originally Posted by d_adams View Post
    Exhaust bolt, left side, just forward of the kickstand. The tab breaks on occasion and the whole thing falls off, rarely does the bolt back out on it's own though.
    Nailed it. I had already read about this bolt coming loose and had looked for it first thing but missed it because I was looking with the bike on the sidestand and the lower plastics on. Very difficult to see that way.

EBRforum Junkie
    Kinda scary that I can identify a random bolt from a bike, eh? Done that with the exhaust bracket on an 1125 years ago, everyone said "BS, can't be that bracket, that didn't even come off of a Buell" but it was.

Dang Dean. That's impressive!!

Quote Originally Posted by d_adams View Post
    Kinda scary that I can identify a random bolt from a bike, eh? Done that with the exhaust bracket on an 1125 years ago, everyone said "BS, can't be that bracket, that didn't even come off of a Buell" but it was.
    Random reply. Been reading around the forum and just read elsewhere that d_adams is a savant when its comes to self uninstalling bolts. lol