Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honestly, is it dumb to buy an EBR now?

Honestly, is it dumb to buy an EBR now?

Hello all. So far great info on this forum!

So I really like EBRs and think they are very neat bikes. I found a "new" 2015 SX for $8k about 3 hours away. Now that prices are so low I am truly considering trading in my Aprilia. This would be my only bike for the next couple of years and am just concerned about the no dealer/manufacturer support since EBR went tits up again.

Im pretty mechanically inclined and do most of the work on my cars and bikes. And it seems like the EBRs have a decent on board diagnostics platform that doesn't require special tools...

So here is my ponderation..... is it just plain dumb to buy one now, or is owning and working on one all by myself actually doable? Realistically how available will parts be? Are EBRs reasonably reliable bikes (hopefully more so then my Aprilia has been)? Are there good repair manuals or tech data available for consumers? Special tools required? Other thoughts?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

EBRforum Expert
    I've been pondering that thought heavily since the January announcement. I retired in January, and had planned to buy an EBR ASAP as my retirement present. Buying the EBR had to wait until we could move and sell our old house. I had my finger hovering over the "put your deposit on a Black Lightning now" button on New Year's Eve 2016, but figured I better wait until the house sale was completed. It's taken longer than expected to work that out (should close in a couple of weeks), so that was good thinking on my part. I'm finally ALMOST ready to drop $$ on a new bike.

During the initial shutdown after EBR went into receivership in 2015 (?), parts were scarce for a while but eventually they started flowing again and I think most people managed to keep their bikes running. People are already sourcing alternatives for things like fuel pumps and trying to re-engineer things like the front sprocket/compensator assembly which has been a high wear item for some riders.

The spare parts situation is kind of a big question mark right now. LAP has listed $15M worth of EBR parts for sale, but as people have dug into the list the wear items that people consistently need to keep these bikes running seem to be missing. I'd guess these parts are still available and that LAP just isn't "liquidating" these high demand parts, but it'd be really nice to know what kind of quantities they have on hand. Do they have enough of these parts to support these bikes for ~10 years, or are some critical items already down to single digit quantities? I'm pretty sure mechanically inclined people will be able to keep these bikes running no matter what, but obviously it'll be more difficult and more expensive if off-the-shelf parts aren't readily available.

The 2015-up bikes seem to be pretty reliable. Some of the 2014 bikes suffered some issues (low fuel light problems, faulty display units, etc.). The 2015-up bikes seem to be pretty much free of these issues. The one consistent thing I've seen that can be an issue is chain adjustment. If you don't keep the chain adjusted properly (which is tighter than most bikes), it can chew through the swingarm protector and into the swingarm pretty quickly. That's just a maintenance issue to be aware of. Otherwise, they seem to be reasonably bullet proof and easy to work on. Service manuals were originally provided on a thumb drive; I'm not sure what the current situation is with those. The only special tool I know that's pretty much mandatory is if you have to remove the stator. There's a crankshaft locking tool that's needed but they are available and I think people have loaned them around to save cost.

I'm still on the fence about buying an EBR. I'm kind of leaning towards getting one of the 2017 models in the hope of having every possible niggle worked out of it and maybe I'd get a little better parts support since it'll come from a currently active EBR dealer. It'd cost a couple of grand more than a left over 2015 model, plus shipping (or I could do a fly-and-ride), so I'm not sure it's worth the additional expense.

All that said, there's no other bike out there that interests me right now so I have a feeling it's going to be an EBR for me. Otherwise I'll keep riding my old Ulysses for a few more years and hope Erik turns up somewhere else or Indian follows through on their promise to "branch out into other markets" with their motorcycle line.

I have one, so I'll put in my .02 cents. If reliability and parts support is very important to you(read: everyone), and I'm sure I'll offend some folks saying this, but this probably isn't the 'best' bike to choose. Even if the parts do exist, the fact that the company is being liquidated and the ordering process isn't always clear, definitely makes it a less serviceable bike. That being said at 7k or 8k which a lot of them seem to be going for, they are a lot of bike for the money. I haven't had any major issues with mine, other than it turning off when rolling to stop signs once in a while. I had the mindset going into the purchase that there would be no warranty, no parts support, and no tech support. I advise anyone considering buying one to do the same. I've rebuilt bikes myself before, you can usually get what you need, you just have to search a little harder. You're probably wondering why I bought one knowing all this, and I'd have to say the fact that it is the American made Superbike sold me. I think a lot of guys who are die hard Buell fans bought it for that reason. I already had other bikes, but I'm a patriotic person and like to support America whenever I can.

SO to answer your question. Is it dumb to buy one now?

I wouldn't say its dumb, but depending on your criteria, there could be better bikes to buy. I'm getting more into other types of bikes, was into race replicas, figured I'd try some street fighters because I was over the race replica ergos, and then the EBR came out and it was a street fighter and Made in the USA? I'm sold. I have a few bikes, but now I mainly ride my BMW GS. 'Old man bike'. <--Also gets less looks from the police than the race bikes. But if you really let other people's opinions dictate what you ride, you probably only have a bike to take it down the street to starbucks for cars n coffee on Saturday's anyway. Like the cool Ducati guys that still have the nubs on the tires

BTW, the EBR is a blast to ride. I wish they finished the AX! Maybe I'll turn my SX in an AX!
    Last edited by 1190SX; 06-17-2017 at 04:52 PM.

EBRforum ProvNov
    The above post is nearly word for word my thoughts on the matter. And as time passes the bike will get rarer and the cool factor will go up, in my opinion it will become a VERY sought after bike that gets a "Wow, you have one!" when you take it out. I would absolutely make the same decision to buy again and would suggest to anyone interested to get one now while you can because I really believe in a few years people will speak about that time when they could be found and how little they sold for.

I you're the type to take your bike to the dealer because it sat for 6 months and the battery went flat, go spend $20k on a Ducati like everyone else.

If you have the slightest perception of how a gas engine works and what a test light is for, then go get the deal of the century on a rare, original, American made super bike. Today.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This guy knows his Sh*T, Right on Cooter !!!!!deal of the century on a rare, original, American made super bike.
    Last edited by EBRRider; 06-20-2017 at 07:32 AM.

EBRforum Newb
    First of I don't think it's dumb to buy one just go into it with open eyes.
    They are an incredible American made motorcycle. For what they are selling for these days you're getting a whole lot of motorcycle for your money.
    Thinking there are going to be challenges ahead. Can you count on parts being available? Either factory or aftermarket, I wouldn't count on it. Maintenance parts sure. Wrecked bike parts sure. There has been so much wrong information put out there by LAP I'm not counting on anything. Ten years parts supply, not holding my breath. If you have it insured and lay it down it will more than likely be totaled. That seems to be the way the insurance companies are handling it. This might be true with any other equivalent bike also.
    On the collectible aspect we will just have to see how it all plays out. I owned a 2000 X-1 Millenium numbered and signed model thinking it would have good collector value. Just never happened as book value now is around $1500.00. Buell's have a small and unique market. Not everyone feels the same about them.
    Really love my 1190SX. It's the most incredible motorcycle I've ever owned. Been riding motorcycles for over fifty years and ridden quite a wide variety of bikes. This one is the one for me and will ride for a long time enjoying every minute.

I bought mine right when they went under knowing there would be limited parts, no service techs, other than us guys on the forum and I would do it again. I am a buell nerd so to me it was a no brainer. Like these other members say if you can turn a wrench and use the problem solving part of your brain you will have no problems.. I have almost 3k miles on mine and not one hiccup. I have had honda sport bikes and suzuki and kawi stuff..this bike tops them by far. It is quarky and not super refined but that is why it makes it so cool.. a small number of engineers and mechanics built this bike in a smaller shop than where I work. That is fvcking badass to me.

And here is a good question....... does anyone even know many of these Bikes were produced??? From what I see the number should be around 2000 world wide and that's on the high end.

If you're considering buying a motorcycle (any motorcycle) for it's 'investment' or 're-sale value'...

You are doing it wrong:)