Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1190RS vs 1190RX What will be the difference?

Apparently EBR inherited a number of 1125 engines which they rebuilt into the 1190's. That was purely in order to conserve resources. I didn't hear a number, but they ran out of those 1125's early on. Now the engines are essentially built from scratch in house. Most of the engine is built in the USA, with some parts like cams, cranks, shafts and gears still cast / forged at what I assume is Rotax. Story is EBR does own the rights to the engine and can build however they see fit, with whomever they see fit.

EBRforum Newb
    I have idea on engines. 1190rs is race bike with a very well thought out race engine. I looked at 1190rs engine componets when i picked up my bike. I told michael richter piston was too beautiful too put in engine should be put on desk to be admired. But all parts are very purpose built and work very well for that purpose. I saw and road w/bike that had 1190 engine probably 145hp, maybe more, but great street engine. You can not put 1190rs engine in neww bike and sell that for $19000.00. I ride at 10000 ft elevation and running 3rd-4th with rear tiretrying to break loose and front tire skipping off ground at 125 mph it is a ride! You also would not want 1190rs engine uly because it just wants run! The bike is the most incredible ride. I'm running curves,passing and you just look where you want to go and lean and the bike is there, i feel like i'm running 50 mph and look down and goin 125mph,its so light! I cant thank erik,tony, john ,michael,mike,john,kemp,kim and all the people at ebr for building me the greatest motorcycle in the world! I paid the price and think i got one hell of a deal after experiencing this awsome ride! The orange 1190rs is alive and ripping in colorado-thanks ebr

I'm curious if we'll see anything this weekend. I've seen a few different places that something would be shown in July and if that's correct, it seems like the Laguna Seca Moto GP/AMA races would be the perfect place to show it to an enthusiastic crowd.

Looking at the photos and having had a chance to play with an RS(#10) in the flesh. I hope they improve the steering angle from lock to lock. It wasn't the same throw side to side and it was really shallow.Great at speed but now way you could do a U turn in?on a side street. I hope they Don't change the mirror positions though, best I have ever seen on a sport bike hands down. They'ed have to come off for sure for trackdays but on the steet, that would be money. Looks like the chain idler gear is still there to. Its amazing how that helps put the power down. I'm on the fence about no ABS. Traction control yes, but ABS, hmm on most trackdays we turn it off, but on a street bike I can see the advantages. I think the bike will really suffer for not having wheelie control. 102fr/lbs with about 80+ at 4k and up? That's gonna be a handful. So are officially calling it "The Perscription" or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Classax View Post
    Looking at the photos and having had a chance to play with an RS(#10) in the flesh. I hope they improve the steering angle from lock to lock. It wasn't the same throw side to side and it was really shallow.Great at speed but now way you could do a U turn in?on a side street. I hope they Don't change the mirror positions though, best I have ever seen on a sport bike hands down. They'ed have to come off for sure for trackdays but on the steet, that would be money. Looks like the chain idler gear is still there to. Its amazing how that helps put the power down. I'm on the fence about no ABS. Traction control yes, but ABS, hmm on most trackdays we turn it off, but on a street bike I can see the advantages. I think the bike will really suffer for not having wheelie control. 102fr/lbs with about 80+ at 4k and up? That's gonna be a handful. So are officially calling it "The Perscription" or what?
    The engineers did say they increased the lock-to-lock on the RX streetbike vs RS.

That's cool Ed, thanks! The more I think about the exhaust, 1/4 wave resonators are basically used to get rid of annoying drone not improve back pressure and midrange numbers. You usually only have that problem on really BIG power motors ( high hp/displacement unit) with really free induction and exhaust. Motors making extreme use of ram air also suffer from it. Aircraft engines deal with it by ignoring it and wearing hearing protection. Buell has tended to go with big thin airboxes that emit a lot of induction noise in the past. If the exhaust note drone is at the right frequency for the induction noise its magic but if not it gets really annoying. On a race bike no problem but on a street bike it could get old real quick. It all seems to indicate the motor is in a REALLY high state of tune and moving a lot of air from stock. I'd love to see a shorty on there but not if it meant I couldn't enjoy the ride because the sound track was rattling my teeth. Been there done that and it wasn't worth it.

EBRforum Novice
    The lock-to-lock is limited by the damper and the lower triple clamp, along with a small piece of aluminum fastened just above the lower triple to the main chassis. You can get more lock-to-lock by removing it or milling (trimming) it down a bit, but be really careful -- it's easy with clip-ons to get into a situation where you can smash your hand into the tank or even get the steering stuck in a full lock with the friction between the bar, your hand and the tank holding it there.

I hear you Doosh, most sport bikes suffer from the same problem on steerring head angle at the extremes. The other thing that has me wondering is the slipper clutch and how well its going to work. I like that we wont have to rotate the engine down to do valve adjustement. IS it December yet?

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Classax View Post
    The other thing that has me wondering is the slipper clutch and how well its going to work.
    So far as I can tell, it's the same clutch that was in the 1125r, and it depends on throttle body vacuum for it's "slip effect". With the 1125r, you had to be pretty ham-fisted to get any slip at all out of it.

The RS used a Suter slipper clutch. That's a really nice clutch. It's always an upgrade option for the RX...

Anybody know about the steering damper. Erik typically avoids them but both the RS and RX have one. I notice they are not adjustable. So what type are they are the Constant or Reactive type dampers?