Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Hint at what the AX might have been

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    EBRforum Expert

A Hint at what the AX might have been

This bike was spotted in the EBR fleet at the factory sale/auction yesterday:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0174.JPG 
Views:	516 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	1476

Name:	IMG_0175.JPG 
Views:	433 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	1477

It's a Uly fitted with what appears to be pneumatically adjustable suspension. It'd be real interesting to know where they stood on this project.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Apparently, they were only willing to risk interns on it.

EBRforum Newb
    Hey, So who picked this up and are they able to tell us a little bit about the handling characteristics of this thing with the "Pneumatic" Suspension

EBRforum Newb
    As an intern this cracks me up

Actually considering my own variation of an AX build, building brackets on my SX for my Hebco bags and putting a windshield on it, since I also already have Hand guards and lowered pegs, and have a belt drive conversion in the works.

Not that its here or there now, but having done a lot of solo moto camping, one thing that is nearly indispensable is a center-stand. Depending on the length of the trip you also need ease of maintenance. One of my biggest fears with any bike on the road is the fuel pump going tits up. With my my Honda 919 I'd just be stuck until I got the part and then pop off the tank drain it and swap the pump. On my 1190 SX I'd have to remove the swing-arm. This would be possible with a center-stand. I have not done a valve check or adjustment yet, but I understand that you have to remove the frame to get at the Valve Covers. An adventure bike should have reduced maintenance or ease of maintenance. A shaft drive, as much as I don't like them is the best for travel. All my bikes have been chain driven. I did do a 4000 mile road trip on an 08 ZX10r, I worked around the lack of a centerstand with a wheel cleaning stand from harbor freight. it weighs as much as a certerstand, and gets packed at the very bottom of my gear. It helps with chain maintenance. I use the drispec bags and lash them to the subframe under the passenger seat on the ZX.. I haven't tried this with the 1190sx yet.
    Given the thoughtful design of the SX It really would have been interesting to see what EBR would have designed for Adventure Touring.
    Last edited by MrSix; 02-21-2018 at 10:34 AM.

If the fuel pump is a specific worry of yours, it is easily replaced without removing the swingarm. Pretty easily actually.

I agree a center stand is a worthy addition to an adventure bike. I have had my share of balancing on a big rock to do various stuff. A valve adjustment (every 6000) is a bigger-than-the-side-of-the-road deal, but most are now-a-days anyway. 185Hp has it's penalties. 6000 miles is one HECK of a trip! I'm sure you could find a decent V-twin shop in that time.

I also agree about shaft drive. I don't like them either, but its the best for that job.

All this hyperbole is really about you. What type of traveling fits you? I'm ok lashing soft bags on a completely inappropriate bike and riding way too far on it. Others need satellite radio and seat warmers

Cooter, I like the way you think. I love traveling on bikes that weren't made for it.
    I'd upload some images... but the uploader is failing... so here's this.
    https://motorcyclelog.wordpress.com/...journey-north/

Name:	IMG_20170614_171211-1024.jpg 
Views:	486 
Size:	300.8 KB 
ID:	1891Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170729_193650-1024.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	320.8 KB 
ID:	1892