Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 SX Electrical draw

2014 SX Electrical draw

2014 SX #24, currently 1300 miles. Bought 'new' in March '17.
    Since I got her, she has never liked to sit:)
    Any more than 5 days and she'll crank slow and not start. The battery tests fine once charged up, but I know Buells well enough to consider getting a new one anyway

Checking for a draw I found 2
    The big one I traced to the dash display itself. I can remove the power wire and the draw goes away. Is that a software update thing? Its 7/2/2017 so I don't think anyone gets help from EBR anymore

The other draw flickers a little bit and goes away when I unplug the EBR ECM. I will try the stock ECM next, but that still doesn't solve the dash issue.

I'd appreciate any ideas you have:)

EBRforum Newb
    Trickle charger. Also I have number #15. I would think the dash would draw for clock memory etc, and maybe ecm. Can you check amp draw? Plus your battery might have not been maintained properly.

A trickle charger won't fix the problem, sadly:( Even the proper one for the Li-ion battery (they run higher voltage). It would mask the issue and let me ride it though, haha.

I got a DVOM on it finally and it's 1.5amps(!) split equally between the draw from the ECM and the dash. Up to 500mA would be ok, but honestly the draw from something like the clock would be almost immeasurably small.

FYI the stock ECM draws the same.

You have a good point about the battery. It's from 2014 and with this draw it's probably been dead for most of it's life, hit with a high amp charger, then dead again. I may get a new one, but the draw will still be there:(

EBRforum Newb
    Yes a trickle will just help ride it or keep your battery happy. Li-PO need to stay in a certain range (20%-80%) I believe.
    So I just installed a IDS ECM/Dean Adams pipe. Some times my fuel pump keeps cycling (not just for the 10 min or so) every min for days. Killing my battery also. Stock ECM is fine and does not do this.
    So I just repaired my low fuel light (was on when I got the bike) and installed a new IDS ECM and it has been fine. Till I moved the bike the other day without starting it and the fuel pump started cycling again. So I sat on my bike without starting it and was going to time it. It Stopped. Put the bike back on the side stand and it started cycling my fuel pump every 60 sec. Well I was low on fuel so on the side stand the low fuel light would be triggered (key was off). When I stand the bike up the fuel light goes off.
    At this point i went to the gas station and filled my tank up so far The fuel pump is not cycling. I am working with Tim at IDS but it seams like the low fuel light is waking up my ECM and cycling the pump.
    I believe we have different problems, but maybe hook up your amp meter and start disconnecting sensors, plugs 1 at a time to see you can find the draw. Or find out how many amps the dash and ECM draw when there are awake, maybe they are not shutting down at all and should be. Good luck.

Thanks Muleman for the input, I did exactly that and found the ECM and the dash pulling 1.5 amps total. About half for each. I'd be ok with just one draw, but both are just too much.

I swapped in the stock ECM and it has the exact same draw as the EBR one. I'm thinking a dash update may address the draw it has.

Anyone know what to do about the dash update? IDS maybe worth a call...

Packed up and sent my dash and stock ECM to EBR. $7.85 postage and they got it in 2 days.

I included a specific set of questions with them:
    1) Please check for the 1 amp draw in the dash and the ECM
    2) Please make sure to enable the quick shift function in the ECM, my EBR ECM doesn't work either.
    3) if possible, Calibrate to the 44 tooth sprocket because I get a phantom 4th gear.

They sent it back in my old tiny box and packing for $24 postage, and I got these answers.

1) He 'can't test for a draw because the test equipment was sold', and "I only have a DVOM'. I think thats all you need to check draw? and it still draws almost a full amp when plugged in: ( I can't imagine who else could help?? Any ideas??

The tech did mention that they initially had dash draw issues with the 1125's so they were extra sure to check the 1190 when designing it. That doesn't help my current situation. GET IT??? Current! thats a PUN son!; )

He says the 'ECM may need to go to sleep, so when it gets back to you, check it after 10 mins'. I did, it still draws about .7 amps. I would be ok with that if the dash wasn't drawing juice too.
    The fuel pump is not running constantly, but does run intermittently for a long, long, time after key off.

2) He says 'Every ECM now has the quick shift function enabled unless we're specifically asked not too'. So my EBR ECM and the stock one should both work with my Dynojet 4-104 sensor. Neither of them works. The dash diagnostics see the 1.3V signal drop to 0.0V when activated, but does not kill the ignition... WTH??

3) He can't change the speedo ratio or use the program update to what the Black Lighting had because it 'would require complete CARB re-testing'
    So... at least I can see the turn signal indicators betteryay. Do I have to buy an IDS ECM just to make the shifter work, and calibrate the gearing? Do I need to buy another new dash as a guess?
    Last edited by Cooter; 08-28-2017 at 06:26 PM.

EBRforum Newb
    holy cow. If i leave mine full of fuel my pump with not cycle after 10 min. If mine low fuel light is on it will cucle every 30 sec for days. I just keep it full and ride my other bike. LOL

Good point to update this thread.
    With the dash updated by EBR, no change.
    With an IDS 'Tips' ECM, no change.
    With a borrowed IDS ECM, no change.
    With an ids 'APH/Deans' ECM, no change.

I just keep it plugged into the Shorai charger if she's gonna sit more than a week.

Do you still have another dash? Maybe test resistance between the ECM pins? I've heard body modules need to shut down. If the EBR's have that as well, what are they monitoring in order to goto sleep?