Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Maintenance on the RX

Well here's the damage on the 6200 mile major service.

1.Valve tolerance was SPOT on! The tech comment it was hardly worth the trouble to check, considering I have been tracking the bike extensively.
    2. Brake and Clutch Fluid flushed FREE
    3. Rear and Front brake pads $225
    4. Oil Change $60
    5. Filter Change $12
    6. Cleaned Air Filter FREE

Total labor 4 Hours- $513

Points to note- Chain may only last another 10K miles its in spec but has definately stretched a bit. Sprockets look great, Mr. Spacely must have finally gotten something right!

And the downers

Warranty - Replacements
    Secondary Resonator- cracked weld folding packing cap, replaced at 403 miles, great ever since
    The tabs on the bodywork are the vulnerable spots- Airbox Cover, Left farirng, Upper Faring Right, Right fairing
    Headlight assembly seal breach allowing condesation to form inside the headlight, replaced adjusted at 5931 and best light on a motorcyle I've ever had!
    Stress crack on windscreen replaced at 5931 miles
    ECU- replaced with version two software at 2993 miles, butter smooth on off throttle and self healing fault codes, pesky O2 sensors

and the one I'm still waiting to be fixed

loose heat shield, The mounts are welded to the header, and are very light wieght. This will require a complete engine drop and replacement of the header! UGH the weather is perfect and I'm not riding!

All and all I notice that the reaplacement parts having running improvments to prevent the failures of the first ones which is to be expected when you're ragging out #105 in production ever. The valve check is not that hard and I will likely do it my self next go around. The main things to watch on this bike maintance wise are;

Chain- make sure its correctly adjusted per the manual regardless of what the tech guy tells you at the track.
    Brake Pads- the rear OEM pad goes off especially quick if you use it for wheelie control, or have any off track excursions, be sure to bed both properly.

Other wise the bike is the BOMB!!! Just to be clear even though my EBR has to have its valves check twice as often as a Panigale, it cost me just over 4 times less than the 2 to 3 grand those guys are seeing. Yes there have been a few warranty niggles but so far no more than what I have expereinced with other bikes. My wife's ninja 300 had way more issues and please don't even mention my Diavel which was sold with only 4800 miles on it after less than a year of ownership and at total of 5 whole months in the shop.
    Last edited by Classax; 08-14-2014 at 03:51 PM.

EBRforum Junkie
    Nice!

I was on track to do valves right about now until I broke my leg a couple weeks ago. Guess I'll put it off for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by noone1569 View Post
    Nice!

I was on track to do valves right about now until I broke my leg a couple weeks ago. Guess I'll put it off for a bit.
    Yea that sucks, but I suspect as more people come in with valves that are still pretty much just as they left the factory, the interval for the check will increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Classax View Post
    Just to be clear even though my EBR has to have its valves check twice as often as a Panigale, it cost me just over 4 times less than the 2 to 3 grand those guys are seeing.
    A couple of my Panigale riding friends have taken issue with my 4x less exspensive comment and pointed out that their 15K miles services should cost between $1.5 -$2K at the most. So in fairness, yes the EBR has its valves checked twice as much at 37% of the cost of a Panigale's a major service( which equals 26% cheaper measured over the same distance). I would also remind them that they also have a $300-$500 every other 7500 miles. In other words the EBR is cheaper to maintain while delivering the same performance as the 1199 without being a major contributor to global warming from basically idle on up.