Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is ebr out of business !?!?

Patents I thought only lasted 13 years? Or is that just pharma?
    Last edited by ryandcramer; 04-13-2017 at 08:56 AM.

EBRforum Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by ryandcramer View Post
    Parents I thought only lasted 13 years? Or is that just pharma?
    Mine stuck around with me until I graduated and moved away...

Quote Originally Posted by Purves View Post
    Mine stuck around with me until I graduated and moved away...
    well played sir lol. Error fixed

Quote Originally Posted by TerryS1980 View Post
    Yea you must be crazy if you think Erik would want to build an "XB like bike". He has been trying to get HD to build bikes like the 1190 for a long time.

HD was on any patents since around 1990, Buell Motorcycle Company was and Erik Buell is listed as the inventor.
    I'm not suggesting it would be an all or nothing endeavor, but yes, I do think whether he wanted to or not, he should have built something like that. The market segment for those is larger, as evidenced by the 100k+ XBs sold over barely 6 years of production. As we saw, the market for higher priced/horsepower bikes wasn't sufficient to keep EBR afloat. I can't tell you the number of posts I've seen on other forums saying they wanted something with less for less. I clearly shared a portion of Erik's vision because I got the 1190, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

And yes, I know Erik wanted HD to build this type of bike for a long time. If you look at the Barracuda articles (which I'm sure you have) the 1190 might as well be the same damn thing with IMHO a better front/rear end. And therin lies part of the problem. If the 1190/Barracuda had come out almost 20 years ago when he came up with the concept, I suspect we wouldn't be wondering if EBR was out of business because EBR never would have existed. Buell would have truly been a sportbike market leader with this design on that timeline. But it didn't and unfortunately it wasn't. So here we are, lamenting the business failure of a visionary inventor whose products most of us refuse to let go.

My main confusion is how he was able to take part of his IP to build the 1190, but not able to take it all/more to be able to supply parts for older Buell bikes. HD doesn't really seem to want to support the existing fleet. I've got to scrounge ebay for takeoff parts for my Uly and Firebolt. I just think EBR would have stood a better chance of success if they could have had additional revenue streams as discussed, perhaps partially as a parts supplier.

But why stop there? Who's to say they only would have made parts for Buells? If they had been successful with that, they could have expanded to make parts for other makes as well. Erik and his team are clearly able to take existing designs and enhance them. Just thoughts.
    Last edited by toxicf16; 04-13-2017 at 10:49 AM.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Quote Originally Posted by toxicf16 View Post
    I'm not suggesting it would be an all or nothing endeavor, but yes, I do think whether he wanted to or not, he should have built something like that. The market segment for those is larger, as evidenced by the 100k+ XBs sold over barely 6 years of production. As we saw, the market for higher priced/horsepower bikes wasn't sufficient to keep EBR afloat. I can't tell you the number of posts I've seen on other forums saying they wanted something with less for less. I clearly shared a portion of Erik's vision because I got the 1190, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

And yes, I know Erik wanted HD to build this type of bike for a long time. If you look at the Barracuda articles (which I'm sure you have) the 1190 might as well be the same damn thing with IMHO a better front/rear end. And therin lies part of the problem. If the 1190/Barracuda had come out almost 20 years ago when he came up with the concept, I suspect we wouldn't be wondering if EBR was out of business because EBR never would have existed. Buell would have truly been a sportbike market leader with this design on that timeline. But it didn't and unfortunately it wasn't. So here we are, lamenting the business failure of a visionary inventor whose products most of us refuse to let go.

My main confusion is how he was able to take part of his IP to build the 1190, but not able to take it all/more to be able to supply parts for older Buell bikes. HD doesn't really seem to want to support the existing fleet. I've got to scrounge ebay for takeoff parts for my Uly and Firebolt. I just think EBR would have stood a better chance of success if they could have had additional revenue streams as discussed, perhaps partially as a parts supplier.

But why stop there? Who's to say they only would have made parts for Buells? If they had been successful with that, they could have expanded to make parts for other makes as well. Erik and his team are clearly able to take existing designs and enhance them. Just thoughts.
    So i called ebr and heard a lot if noise in the background (lol yeah im nosey) So im like whats up they building or moving out haha.I cant find any current info.

EBRforum Novice
    I think they could have made a bunch just from having xb compatible versions of the new wheels developed for the 1190's. I would have loved to see EBR make a street legal XBRR powered bike. Many would have jumped for the turbo XB. That's it, the holy grail, a turbo XBRR!!! (insert maniacal laugh)

"I'm not a quack, I'm a mad scientist. There's a difference." - Doctor Cockroach

EBRforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by han View Post
    So i called ebr and heard a lot if noise in the background (lol yeah im nosey) So im like whats up they building or moving out haha.I cant find any current info.
    They won't tell you anything about anything. The Melvin's try to keep everyone under a "do not disclose" contract/gag.

I tried to convince my company to make a bid for 2mil and my VP asked if I had been drinking lol.

EBRforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ryandcramer View Post
    I tried to convince my company to make a bid for 2mil and my VP asked if I had been drinking lol.
    A bid for the company at the receivership proceeding at 2 mill would have made a viable company without liquidating it. But instead of running it as a small manufacturing company the new owners liquidated all the value outof the place. I would only give them $200,000.00 now that they've sold off everything.
    Last edited by buell-fan; 04-13-2017 at 06:57 PM.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Quote Originally Posted by buell-fan View Post
    A bid for the company at the receivership proceeding at 2 mill would have made a viable company without liquidating it. But instead of running it as a small manufacturing company the new owners liquidated all the value outof the place. I would only give them $200,000.00 now that they've sold off everything.
    Put it this way if Erik Buell went on Shark tank what would They say to him LOL?! I have a feeling it would not be good.