Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is ebr out of business !?!?

EBRforum Junkie
    2016+ have warranty, 2014-2015 do not. Nothing has changed.

EBRforum Junkie
    Subaru -

Erik Didn't design the entire bike himself...despite what you may think.
    He had a lot of help, some good, some not so good.

Mike

I just picked a sx up and the dealer gave me paperwork for a 1 year factory warranty. 2015 model

EBRforum ProvNov
    Quote Originally Posted by MakingPAIN View Post
    I just picked a sx up and the dealer gave me paperwork for a 1 year factory warranty. 2015 model
    Its crazy to me that there are still brand new 2014s still on dealer floors.I just cant see how they could ever sell enough bikes to stay afloat.I just bought a 2017rx for less than a new 600cc.Strangely though i see a few rx's still at 18k.But there are so few of these bikes around.Not to mention people already crashing them lol

EBRforum ProvNov
    I wonder who ate the loss? I would guess it is the dealers.

What is amazing is that I get that there were (are) a small number of dealers and very limited press/advertising so many don't know the bikes exist, I didn't and I already owned an air cooled Buell. But you would think that as many people walk through the doors of dealerships that enough people would have bought one that there would not be so much unsold back stock. Surely a bike of this performance with such serious hardware would sell itself when they hit the 10k discount range? Do people need a dealer support network that badly, or is the bike genuinely unattractive? I know my tastes in allot of things are unconventional, my favorite car I own is a 1982 Subaru Brat and I take it to car shows and cruises instead of my Ferrari, I prefer awkward nerdy women over models, and maybe this bike is too weird for the general public although I have always though pretty much all sport bikes look a bit generic and the EBR looks like it would fit in the crowd.
    Last edited by Subarubrat; 04-10-2017 at 08:15 PM.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Quote Originally Posted by Subarubrat View Post
    I wonder who ate the loss? I would guess it is the dealers.

What is amazing is that I get that there were (are) a small number of dealers and very limited press/advertising so many don't know the bikes exist, I didn't and I already owned an air cooled Buell. But you would think that as many people walk through the doors of dealerships that enough people would have bought one that there would not be so much unsold back stock. Surely a bike of this performance with such serious hardware would sell itself when they hit the 10k discount range? Do people need a dealer support network that badly, or is the bike genuinely unattractive? I know my tastes in allot of things are unconventional, my favorite car I own is a 1982 Subaru Brat and I take it to car shows and cruises instead of my Ferrari, I prefer awkward nerdy women over models, and maybe this bike is too weird for the general public although I have always though pretty much all sport bikes look a bit generic and the EBR looks like it would fit in the crowd.
    Well people dont know enough about it to realize how much of a deal it is.Plus the casual consumer is not keen on spending thousands of dollars on a Brand they never heard of.And also not many buyers are knowledgable enough to understand how rare and special it is.

I still think the single rotor turns people off but that's just me. I know he's real proud of it but if it was that much of an advantage wouldn't the big manufacturers follow suit? It really is a great track bike and even though I modified mine I still love the bike and the chassis is amazing. There are a few of us out there club racing them or at the track in general but we're pretty spread out. I doubt I see another one in my region for WERA NC. The bike can be an absolute weapon if you think about power to weight opportunities. I hope to get 3 good seasons out of it.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Quote Originally Posted by ryandcramer View Post
    I still think the single rotor turns people off but that's just me. I know he's real proud of it but if it was that much of an advantage wouldn't the big manufacturers follow suit? It really is a great track bike and even though I modified mine I still love the bike and the chassis is amazing. There are a few of us out there club racing them or at the track in general but we're pretty spread out. I doubt I see another one in my region for WERA NC. The bike can be an absolute weapon if you think about power to weight opportunities. I hope to get 3 good seasons out of it.
    I dontt think they can copy it.If im not mistaken buell owns the patent.I think just nobody has any clue what an ebr is.Heck how many even know what a moto guzzi is in America.Even if he Made every perfect business decision its still an EXTREMELY hard market compete in

Quote Originally Posted by han View Post
    I dontt think they can copy it.If im not mistaken buell owns the patent.I think just nobody has any clue what an ebr is.Heck how many even know what a moto guzzi is in America.Even if he Made every perfect business decision its still an EXTREMELY hard market compete in
    That's an interesting point, and is leading me down a slightly off topic train of thoughts.

Although there are a lot of "carryovers" from the 1125 series of Buell Motorcycles to the 1190s, Buell the company (HD) likely owns the patents for a lot of those innovations, which makes me wonder how EBR was able to use so many similar designs. I suspect Harley either licensed or fully released that IP back to Erik after the non-compete clause in his contract with them was up. But that honestly leads to more questions in my mind, such as "what would have prevented EBR from building an XB like bike" and at a minimum "why wouldn't Harley release the rights to build replacement parts for ALL the earlier Buell models?" It's been speculated in other threads that if EBR were able to produce replacement parts to support the 10s of thousands of existing Buells on the roads around the world, they could potentially have had some steady level of revenue as they worked on new projects. There's probably start up costs in tooling and some additional manpower that would need to be brought on to sustain something like that, but after the initial investment it seems like it could have helped.

But then again, I could just be crazy

Yea you must be crazy if you think Erik would want to build an "XB like bike". He has been trying to get HD to build bikes like the 1190 for a long time.

HD was on any patents since around 1990, Buell Motorcycle Company was and Erik Buell is listed as the inventor.