Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Piggy back ECM chip

Piggy back ECM chip

Hey smarter than the average bear people's.. I seen a piggy back chip made by some chinesium company called magnum dyno boost. Seems to have good reviews. So if you took one of these things and slapped it in a stock ECM and built your own header back system, would this chip be able to manipulate the tune enough to work??? Or get a Dean A chip and put this piggy back on that one sense his tune would be closer to a wide open exhaust?? Or they are junk and stay away.. Thanks

EBRforum Junkie
    The engines in these machines are a touch sensitive to abnormal fueling and spark due to the high compression and are already ran fairly lean with the stock tune, so stick with an IDS tune without trying to supplement it. There have been a few bikes that blew up recently, with the most recent being the victim of being ran too lean with a small single outlet exhaust can and being fueled by the stock fuel and spark map. The EBR team and IDS have created several appropriate and powerful tunes for various exhaust configurations and they should be used accordingly.

Check.. Yeah I totally get that these bikes are not some 90 horse motor just waiting on performance parts. I know aftermarket car tuning is to the point of self learning ECM is becoming more common. I wanted to use a HMF or something similar but shortened case and lower under the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by buell-fan View Post
    The engines in these machines are a touch sensitive to abnormal fueling and spark due to the high compression and are already ran fairly lean with the stock tune, so stick with an IDS tune without trying to supplement it. There have been a few bikes that blew up recently, with the most recent being the victim of being ran too lean with a small single outlet exhaust can and being fueled by the stock fuel and spark map. The EBR team and IDS have created several appropriate and powerful tunes for various exhaust configurations and they should be used accordingly.
    ^^^^^^^^ good advice ! IDS matched to the pipe.

Now I think about it they are probably some chinesium scam crap disguised as something cool and useful to us unknowing. Good call stick with ebr and idspd stuff

EBRforum Novice
    It probably just manipulates the air temp sensor to add extra fuel across the rev range , not rocket science . Fat duc do this too.

EBRforum Junkie
    This is a direct quote from the owner of the company that makes the ecm for Buell & EBR, they've been at it since 1999.

"‎Tim Blomenberg‎ to EBR 1190 Owners Group
    3 hrs · Decatur, IN ·
    EBR owners, listen up. This is not a sales pitch, but an attempt to get the truth out there to keep you and your bike on the road! I've seen quite a few posts lately about guys that have changed their exhaust, and continued to run the stock ECM or even a performance ECM not properly matched to their replacement exhaust (be it secondary muffler delete, Adams, HMF, APH, or others). The owner thinks it's "safe" because the ECM will adapt to the new exhaust as they ride. News flash: The stock ECM for the 1190RX/SX does not "learn" in terms of Air / Fuel Ratio (AFR) as Buells do (to some extent anyway). What you see when you first ride it (on road or dyno) is what you will get consistently (except for changes in engine and air temps, ram air, etc.). Our performance ECMs don't learn AFR's either; they are set up to perform consistently and not change as you ride. What this means is that if your bike is lean (or rich) in spots when you first run it on the dyno, the ECM is not going to fix itself over time! Furthermore, on a dyno, you might be looking at AFRs at Wide Open Throttle (WOT), but you also need to consider part throttle AFRs. The fuel maps have 384 independently-adjustable values for each cylinder. WOT only accounts for 24 of those. A good tune consists of a complete fuel remap, not just WOT! But even more importantly, don't forget about spark advance! The advance curves on the stock ECM are much different than those on our performance ECMs. When you change the pipe, you radically affect the engine's optimal spark advance, and if you don't correct that quickly, you WILL do engine damage from too much advance, even at part throttle. A performance ECM developed specifically for your exhaust configuration is critical to engine life, and it's a small price to pay compared to an engine rebuild!
    — at Intelligent Design Solutions (IDS)."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ids fuel table.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	323.6 KB 
ID:	1454

The more you know......

I have only "tuned" carburated cars and bikes with hei and points... so I see the timing table and 60ish number, that's not spark advancement is it? I know these Bikes bikes are 13:4.1 compression but most of us only run 91 fuel. That's like full blown race motors when that comes to old Chevy and olds motors I work on..