Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Polaris to shut down Victory

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I find myself wondering if the design and engineering people were battling the the bean-counters. When they created Indian, they didn't just plop the Victory engine in there as I might have imagined, but created a new (and by all accounts very good) engine.

That along with the Scout when it arrived seemed to indicate that they were willing to invest to make truly different bikes and not just play the badge game, and if they had continued that route, they might have really had something. But then the Octane came along and burst that bubble.

I wonder if at some point the plan was to make Victory and the Octane more unique, but the accountants convinced upper management it would make more sense to keep costs low by sharing bikes across brands.

I've always been a firm believer that when the accountants start taking charge any brand will suffer and whither until the people who actually like and understand the product (as opposed to people who just focus on the bottom line) are put back in control.
    The role of a good CEO is to ask the right questions of the right people(the people who know what they are doing NOT bean counters), the most important one being: "what can I do to increase our chances of success with this product?". The next thing is to remove barriers to success, if that means silencing the bean counters whose only qualification is being able to count money, so be it.. A wise man once said "If I do what I've always done, I'll be where I've always been." Take note Polaris.

Quote Originally Posted by Led Boots View Post
    ...all Victory patents, technologies, and intellectual property remain the property of Polaris and will be utilized across Polaris platforms as appropriate". I hope that's true. Not so much rebranding existing vehicles, but carry the innovation and technology on with the Indian name. American motorcycles, and specifically Indian, does not need to be defined by a pushrod v-twin that looks like it was designed in the 40s.
    That's interesting. From that perspective, one could view this as primarily a discontinuation of the aging Victory Platforms. There were likely new Victory bikes in the works and if those just become Indians, we may not have lost much.

I think the key will be how they see the future of Indian. If they intend to keep styling and technology as 'traditional' as possible in Harley's mold, then this is pretty depressing. If they're simply moving the electric bikes and other new bikes over so they'll be called Indians and the type of bikes Indian makes won't be limited, this could be primarily an administrative detail (and discontinuation of the Victory cruisers and baggers).
    Last edited by Scott; 01-10-2017 at 03:18 PM.

EBRforum Expert
    I was just re-reading this interview with Steve Menneto, Polaris' vice president of motorcycles from ~1.5 years ago. It's interesting to re-read in light of the Victory closure. There are several things in the article that could be seen as foreshadowing what happened with Victory. For instance, at the time of the article they were running 2 production lines building Indians full-time and one production line that was alternating building Indians and Victorys. He mentions Indian building more innovative bikes several times in the article, and the fact that certain Indian models have been attracting younger riders. Hopefully, Scott is right regarding this being primarily an administrative detail.

http://magazine.cyclenews.com/i/5408...july-14/80?m4=

EBRforum Newb
    They need to come out with an Indian Hammer and Indian Highball....

The Scout all dolled up with apes and tractor seat is NOT a bobber.. it looks like a second thought add-on... but of course that's all subjective.

Indian can make a performance Chief model that takes into consideration the Victory Hammer DNA and call it the Indian Chief Pokeahotass.. I'd seriously consider one at retirement.
    Last edited by Purves; 01-11-2017 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Purves View Post
    They need to come out with an Indian Hammer and Indian Highball....

The Scout all dolled up with apes and tractor seat is NOT a bobber.. it looks like a second thought add-on... but of course that's all subjective.

Indian can make a performance Chief model that takes into consideration the Victory Hammer DNA and call it the Indian Chief Pokeahotass.. I'd seriously consider one at retirement.
    Pokeahotass?

I'd like to see some strong statement and/or ideally a cool concept bike from Indian to convince us the brand has ambition to be something more than just big fenders and tassles and fringes.

...but I have a bad feeling my optimism for the future of the brand is just wishful thinking and what we see is what we get. Ever since Victory started I've been hoping they'd start making bikes that can go around corners, but it's been disappointment after disappointment year after year. And now they don't even exist. So I'm probably just shifting my irrational hopes for Victory to my irrational hopes for Indian when I should just learn from history and focus on the brand that has always been committed to making the kind of bikes I like: Buell/EBR.

I remember when the Octane was being teased and riders all over the internet were hoping for a sporty bike and then let down by the actual product. The thing they want is being made in East Troy, right? If Polaris and Harley won't give half of the American motorcycle community what they want, why don't they line up behind EBR? I guess people don't have the confidence they get with a brand that has serious backing behind them, but that backing is a double-edged sword as we saw with Harley/Buell, Hero/EBR and now Polaris/Victory. The corporate suits giveth and the corporate suits taketh away. Hopefully EBR can stick around long enough this time to eventually get the respect they've been earning all along.

Pokeahotass?

I'd like to see some strong statement and/or ideally a cool concept bike from Indian to convince us the brand has ambition to be something more than just big fenders and tassles and fringes.

...but I have a bad feeling my optimism for the future of the brand is just wishful thinking and what we see is what we get. Ever since Victory started I've been hoping they'd start making bikes that can go around corners, but it's been disappointment after disappointment year after year. And now they don't even exist. So I'm probably just shifting my irrational hopes for Victory to my irrational hopes for Indian when I should just learn from history and focus on the brand that has always been committed to making the kind of bikes I like: Buell/EBR.

I remember when the Octane was being teased and riders all over the internet were hoping for a sporty bike and then let down by the actual product. The thing they want is being made in East Troy, right? If Polaris and Harley won't give half of the American motorcycle community what they want, why don't they line up behind EBR? I guess people don't have the confidence they get with a brand that has serious backing behind them, but that backing is a double-edged sword as we saw with Harley/Buell, Hero/EBR and now Polaris/Victory. The corporate suits giveth and the corporate suits taketh away. Hopefully EBR can stick around long enough this time to eventually get the respect they've been earning all along.
    Yep. EBR has the vision and the knowledge, we just need to get them out there.

Quote Originally Posted by 1190SX View Post
    Yep. EBR has the vision and the knowledge, we just need to get them out there.
    And regarding the question: "Will they be around in 10 years?" what more do they need to do to prove they're indestructable? They've weathered every imaginable storm and they're still here.

Imagine if I told you two years ago: "In 2017, EBR will be in business and getting stronger every day, and Victory will be gone." You would have thought I was crazy... but damned if that's not exactly where we are.

EBRforum Newb
    This is what I believe...

I really do think Polaris is in it for the long run with Indian.

Victory was their entrance into the motorcycle market almost 2 decades ago, and while they did have some success with the brand, they knew they'd never be able to take away the most market share from Harley with the Victory brand label... Welcome Indian!
    I heard, (keyword heard) that Polaris was interested in Indian well before 2011, so this might have been their plan all along.

As far as transitioning Victory into the “Performance” sportbike and adventurer marquee- I’m sure they studied that real hard, but with the cutthroat market of those two types of products and their recent acquisitions of Timbersled, Indian, Brammo, etc... maybe they decided to be more conservative with their money and investments.

My guess, they have big plans for Indian that goes beyond big fenders and tassles and fringes and I do believe they made a smart decision.

My family has been selling new cars since 1945. Started off with Hudson, and along the way sold Scout, Renault and Plymouth Prowlers…. They’re all gone now. Consolidated, cancelled or no longer selling in the US… We’ve seen every ****storm in the auto industry for over 72 years now… A lot of those ****storms were for very good business reasons that the common diehard will never accept.

Indian Chief Pokeahotass, baby!!

Pokeahotass?

EBRforum Expert
    Regarding where Indian's going, here's some interesting info from a guy at BadWeatherBikers:

I had a very interesting conversation with a Indian rep at the [IMS] show yesterday. The FTR750 racer appears to be just the opening salvo. Parsing between the lines of what he said, there will be at least one street legal version in the not too distant future. I asked about time frame, he just smiled.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Somebody on the Vic owners site mentioned today that Indian is supposed to be revealing a new model on 2/25. Not sure where they got that info, though.

Edit to add: It looks like there's an announcement of sorts on the Indian Motorcycles home page. Says to visit your local dealer on 2/25/17 to "see the newest addition to our family"
    Last edited by Led Boots; 02-10-2017 at 08:43 AM.