Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust for 1190SX

Exhaust for 1190SX

Looking to get an upgraded exhaust system for my 1190SX mainly to let the engine breathe a little more and hopefully prevent the glowing header/ cracked header. I am looking at the Dean Adams system with the ECM and was wondering if anyone could weigh in on how loud it is? Are we talking straight pipes on a Harley loud? I don't have a problem with some volume to my exhaust, but one of my current bikes is running a GP style exhaust and is way too loud. Riding on the highway for more than 20 minutes is down right annoying, so it is just a twisty mountain road bike now. Also where do I get the Dean Adams system? Thanks.

It is loud, but sweet sounding. Early morning start ups in the neighborhood might not be real popular! lol
    Because it is a twin the sound is lower pitched and does not seem to be as loud as an I4 or triple with a race can on it.

I am inclined to go with Deans system because he has definitely gone the extra mile in working with IDS on the tunes. You are correct about a race can on the I4s and triples, it sounds good, but it is just too loud for highway riding. I also have seen APH? exhaust, don't know much about it or if they offer any ECM support. The other thing I wanted to ask is if anyone has used Deans system with a bluetooth headset, on my other bike with the race can I cannot hear the other party through my headset at highway speeds it is so loud.

EBRforum Junkie
    I ride with one on a daily basis in the spring/summer/fall and have had no issues with hearing anyone on my Sena 20s. I've made phone calls and carried on conversations at 85+ mph and the other party had no idea that I was even riding a motorcycle, much less one with my exhaust on it. I do wear the foam ear plugs all the time and can hear music & phone calls over it (the exhaust) very clearly.

If d_adams is the Dean Adams, where's the best place to get the set-up and whats the current lead time? Thanks Additionally, seeing as this is the only really good system out there, when is EBR going to start selling it?

EBRforum Junkie
    www.deanadamsdesigns.com is where you can get it. I don't know that EBR will ever sell it, I've always sold directly. They did talk to me a few years ago, prior to the shutdown, but the commit number of pipes was more than I could generate at the time it was discussed. I think I've built as many as 6-7 at one time when I had a run of identical systems, but that's about it. I typically run about 4+ weeks out on build time, it's been pretty steady for the last few years.

Thanks Dean, I also wanted to know are the Race ECM's are programmed for Quickshifter and are they reprogrammable if I decided to change to lower gearing later on? Would I need to send it to IDS?
    Last edited by 1190SX; 01-08-2017 at 12:19 PM.

EBRforum Junkie
    The ecm can be reprogrammed for a fee, IDS does the programming. Yes on the quickshifter.

EBRforum Junkie
    1190SX, on the fully programmable race ecm offered by IDS you can change/manipulate the program. Its $630.00, and worth it if you like to tinker with setup changes. On the preprogrammed ecm's that are made exhaust specific, you need to send those in to be reprogrammed for gearing changes.

Quote Originally Posted by buell-fan View Post
    1190SX, on the fully programmable race ecm offered by IDS you can change/manipulate the program. Its $630.00, and worth it if you like to tinker with setup changes. On the preprogrammed ecm's that are made exhaust specific, you need to send those in to be reprogrammed for gearing changes.
    That is an interesting option, I am used to doing some tuning on other bikes via Tuneboy and TuneECU, would this be similar, are the available tunes? Would I be able to have the Dean Adams tune loaded onto the fully programmable race ecm? Or would I be on my own to tune it? Thanks

For example on the systems I am familiar with you can flash a tune onto the ECM, and you can make alterations to the tune if desired such as gearing changes etc.. Is that something possible with the Programmable Race ECM? Is there a tune database?
    Last edited by 1190SX; 01-08-2017 at 09:59 PM.