Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 5 pre-production 1190RX prototype/R&D bikes

EBRforum Junkie

The 5 pre-production 1190RX prototype/R&D bikes

I've received a few requests about the history of the earliest 1190RX bikes, so I wanted to make a thread just for the topic. As new information becomes available I'll update the thread, but feel free to ask questions for anything I might have missed.

At the AIMExpo (October, 2013), EBR unveiled the '14 1190RX:

At the show were the 6 pre-production bikes (4 at the EBR booth, 1 that started at the dealer unveil and then moved to the AMSOIL booth, and 1 outside with the EBR trailer).

These were VINs #002-006 and 010. VIN #001 was not built early, as it was to be the first one off the production line and going straight to Barber. It was too valuable for them to build early and risk anything happening to it. (Per EB)

#002 - This was the red RX suspended in the air at the unveiling. It stayed at EBR until the receivership, and was bought at auction. It had been used to model the design for the 1190SX, so the front end had been disassembled and reassembled to SX trim. After the conversion was complete and approved, at some point some of those SX parts were removed (presumably to be installed on SX bikes), so it was bought partially complete, and the owner returned it to RX trim in the original bodywork used to model the RX (in white). If you look closely, you can see the SX handlebar still mounted when the owner purchased it.

Last edited by qurtrn10; 12-20-2016 at 11:21 PM.

EBRforum Junkie
    #003 was the yellow bike at the EBR booth:

It stayed at the factory and I purchased it directly from LAP in October 2016. I've added a Dean's exhaust, Twisted Designs license plate bracket, luimoto leater covered rear seat, RS (1125) mirrors, and EBR smoked taller windscreen. I've removed the decals and plan to paint new decals on with possible some custom touches. I'll also have a custom front seat cover made, and add some carbon fiber.

EBRforum Junkie
    #004 was the red one on the ground at the EBR booth.

#005 was the black bike on the floor at the booth:

I haven't found these bikes in circulation yet, so they may be in private hands or may still be at the factory.
    Last edited by qurtrn10; 12-20-2016 at 11:22 PM.

EBRforum Junkie
    #006 was another yellow bike that was originally at the dealer unveil the first day of the AIMExpo (only open to industry professionals):

After that, it moved to the AMSOIL booth for the rest of the AIMExpo to promote the AMSOIL Legends giveaway, where you could enter a drawing for a 1190RX. (The bike that was won in the giveaway was a Galactic Black 1190RX VIN#010).

It later went to a dealership and is now owned and out on the streets.

EBRforum Junkie
    There are some differences in those first 5 bikes from the rest of production. The front forks are a little different, having a blue cap instead of the regular production black caps. Speaking with EB about it, he said they are different forks altogether. The rear shocks came from the XBRR. Footpegs and shifter/brake toe pegs are different. The plastic piece that surrounds the rear seat lock is slightly different.

Some pieces are different from most 1190RX bikes but not exclusively unique to just the first 5 bikes. The first 5 bikes had gas caps with the EBR logo etched into them and Vortex clip ons, but both of these variants have been seen on other early RX bikes.

Mine in particular (#003) had a light clutch pull - not the standard hard clutch pull that production bikes got. I don't have a way to verify if that was an early bike thing, or if it was added to mine sometime later at the factory as a test model. The rear shock on mine was also replaced to regular production spec sometime after production started.

When these bikes were originally produced, they would have had 10/2013 VIN plates on them. Before being shipped to a dealership for sale, the bikes were put back through the assembly line, rebuilding the bikes, and issuing them a newer, updated VIN plate. This is why some of them (like #002 and #006) will show a 01/2014 VIN plate even though it was obviously built before then. My bike was designed to stay at the factory and never went back through the production line, so mine still wears it's original 10/2013 plate.

EBRforum Junkie
    Did you notice the change in vin stampings? The older bikes look hand-stamped, whereas the mid-year 2014 frame vin's look like they were made with some automated CNC, machining them in the frame. Also, LAP had 006 for sale two months ago with over 1000 demo miles on it.

EBRforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by buell-fan View Post
    Did you notice the change in vin stampings? The older bikes look hand-stamped, whereas the mid-year 2014 frame vin's look like they were made with some automated CNC, machining them in the frame. Also, LAP had 006 for sale two months ago with over 1000 demo miles on it.
    To be honest, I never paid attention to the stampings but that's a great observation.

Going from memory (so don't quote me exactly), I think the LAP bike #006 was a red SX. I know the owner of the yellow RX #006, and it was bought from ECC in California, where it sat for about a year and a half. It only had 2 miles on it at time of purchase.

EBRforum Junkie
    I may be wrong as to the vin, but it definitely is strike yellow with the blue ignition key and blue fork caps of their first run demo bikes. Maybe it was renumbered as a production bike as you were saying earlier.

EBRforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by buell-fan View Post
    I may be wrong as to the vin, but it definitely is strike yellow with the blue ignition key and blue fork caps of their first run demo bikes. Maybe it was renumbered as a production bike as you were saying earlier.
    I think I know the one you're talking about. Mine was on eBay initially, and after I bought it, I think they used the same pics to sell the next yellow RX. I remember it having lots of miles on it, but after it had been up for a bit and I noticed it, I sent LAP an email to let them know that the bike would be a little different from the pics and they changed the pics to correct it. Thanks, I had forgotten about that.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Quote Originally Posted by qurtrn10 View Post
    (The bike that was won in the giveaway was a Galactic Black 1190RX VIN#010).
    Looking back through my pics from the 2013 AIMExpo, Galactic Black 1190RX VIN#010 was the Galactic Black bike outside (pictured above).