Thread: Title for my car.

EBRforum Newb

Title for my car.

I just bought a 97 Nissan Maxima how ever i lost the title and the name on the title wasn't the guy i bough it from so i cant claim lost title because i dont know who it would go to and The people who know(DMV government whoever it was) cant tell me.Any advice on getting my title back?

EBRforum Expert
    First thing I'd try to get the guy you bought the car from to fill out a bill of sale for you. The DMV may have a form you can use. That way you at least will have a piece of paper that says you legally own the car.

If you have no hope of finding the actual title, I'd say your best best is explaining your issue to the DMV. They should be able to do a title search and see if the car is legal (not stolen, etc.). If no one else claims to own the car, they may be willing to issue a title in your name. I imagine at best you're in for wading through a few miles of red tape and at worst you may "own" a car you can't license or sell to anyone else.

The DMV can run a gratis to show who's name the title is in, it will have all the address information, if he has not moved you could contact him, he will have to request a duplicate title. Touchy situation, need to have the bill of sale from when the guy you bought it from bought it and one for when you bought it. Might have to pay a penalty for not registering the vehicle in a timely manner. I know Georgia is a pain on title and tag work. Good luck.