Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EBR Reliability

EBRforum ProvNov
    Well, I went down Saturday and got a look at the 1190rx I saw advertised. The bike looks better in person than in pictures, that's for sure. When I arrived, there was only one salesman there and he was busy with some customers, so I was able to get a good look without being interrupted.

The bike felt great, but the riding position really felt odd to me. This may sound weird, but sitting on the bike with both hands on the bars, it feels like you're right up over the front tire...it's like your holding the front axle in your hands. I suppose that comes from riding baggers and cruisers for the last 30 years I thought the seat felt a little weird, but again, I've been sitting on big cushy seats for many years so I imagine there will be a lot to get used to. The clutch pull (this is a leftover '14) was RIDICULOUS. My FatBoy clutch isn't even half that stiff. However, when I finally did get to talk to somebody, he informed he that he already has a clutch kit there ready to put on it.

About the dealership; this used to be an EBR dealership before the bankruptcy. This RX is one of their leftovers, not one they went out and scalped off of somebody else's inventory. They are very knowledgeable about the brand but haven't followed it much since LAP took over. For example, they weren't aware of the recent Black Lightning reveal. They did say they still do provide any service require and that they do communicate with EBR Tech via email whenever needed. They said they get great support from EBR in that regard.

Overall, I came away with a very positive impression of both the bike, and the shop. If I do buy an EBR, I won't hesitate to use them for any needed service. They seemed like good motorcycle people.

Clutch pull is better with the bike running, on my rx track bike I updated to an Accossato master cylinder, made a nice improvement, I am sure a Brembo would do the same. On my sx street bike I really don't notice it that much, don't do much urban riding though. Going from a cruiser to a sport bike is a BIG difference, but as with anything else you will get use to it quickly.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Quote Originally Posted by mackja View Post
    Clutch pull is better with the bike running, on my rx track bike I updated to an Accossato master cylinder, made a nice improvement, I am sure a Brembo would do the same. On my sx street bike I really don't notice it that much, don't do much urban riding though. Going from a cruiser to a sport bike is a BIG difference, but as with anything else you will get use to it quickly.
    That's good to know, thanks.

I wanted to add an interesting side note from my discussions with this guy. He felt that Buell was blinded by dollar signs when he signed the Hero deal. He said that, if he had been paying attention to Hero's history he would've never done it. They have a history of walking out on deals on a whim. This is a sanctioned Honda dealership and he said Hero did the same thing to Honda...and if they'd walk out on a giant like Honda, he should've known they wouldn't have any qualms about bailing on him.

EBRforum Junkie
    There's a bit more to it than just that little bit. I agree, Erik gave up too much at the time, but to actually break back into the 3k+ per year market, money was required and that was the quickest way to get it. The real problem was hero holding back funds that should have been paid out for engineering services. It turned into what I'd call a hostile takeover attempt that backfired, mainly due to an obscure Wisconsin law regarding bankruptcy.

Quote Originally Posted by Led Boots View Post
    The bike felt great, but the riding position really felt odd to me. This may sound weird, but sitting on the bike with both hands on the bars, it feels like you're right up over the front tire...it's like your holding the front axle in your hands. I suppose that comes from riding baggers and cruisers for the last 30 years I thought the seat felt a little weird, but again, I've been sitting on big cushy seats for many years so I imagine there will be a lot to get used to.
    It's race seat. But with such seat is convenient to attack the turns - you feel good motorcycle behavior and road surface.
    This bike is not a leisurely ride and city trips.
    EBR 1190 RX

EBRforum Junkie
    Led -

Yea, just the opposite, I tried "situp" bikes a coupla times over the years. Felt very uncomfortable, sold them both...(different times). Feel much more in control leaning forward.

As for the clutch (if you get a Buell), DO NOT be swayed by the clutch "lightening kit". Just work out a little, those gripper workout squeeze things..! They not only make the squeeze at the handle lighter, they also lessen the clutch grip on the flywheel. Not a good thing.

You want to feel really inadequate...reach/lean wise, go sit on a 2016 Yamaha R1.

Mike

Mike

EBRforum Junkie
    Hmm, the "edit post" won't let me remove my second name signing.

Zviadi wrote -
    ""This bike is not a leisurely ride and city trips.""

Says who..?!
    About an hour+ in the seat every day in traffic. Been in the seat for just over an hour and a half at one sitting without problem.
    Only one day did I have a little problem with the clutch pull, and I think I'da had a problem with ANY clutch that morning (big crash on the freeway), cars all over.

Mike

EBRforum ProvNov
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Led -

Yea, just the opposite, I tried "situp" bikes a coupla times over the years. Felt very uncomfortable, sold them both...(different times). Feel much more in control leaning forward.

As for the clutch (if you get a Buell), DO NOT be swayed by the clutch "lightening kit". Just work out a little, those gripper workout squeeze things..! They not only make the squeeze at the handle lighter, they also lessen the clutch grip on the flywheel. Not a good thing.

You want to feel really inadequate...reach/lean wise, go sit on a 2016 Yamaha R1.

Mike

Mike
    I know what you mean about the R1. I tried one of those out at another dealership. It was hard for me to reach forward to the bars and keep both my feet up on the pegs. I'd need to take some yoga classes or something if I had to ride that every day. Probably doesn't help that I'm 6 foot tall, 240 pounds and shaped like a tree trunk LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Says who..?!
    About an hour+ in the seat every day in traffic. Been in the seat for just over an hour and a half at one sitting without problem.
    Only one day did I have a little problem with the clutch pull, and I think I'da had a problem with ANY clutch that morning (big crash on the freeway), cars all over.
    I also go on traffic and 8 hours on the weekend. However, there are more convenient for pushing the motorcycle in traffic jams.
    I bought a second Kawasaki Z1000. Crappy bike, but to ride in town and traffic it much nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Led Boots View Post
    I'm 6 foot tall, 240 pounds and shaped like a tree trunk LOL
    I'm 6 feets and 1 inch and 225 pounds
    Last edited by zviadi; 12-07-2016 at 05:10 AM.
    EBR 1190 RX

EBRforum ProvNov
    Quote Originally Posted by zviadi View Post
    I also go on traffic and 8 hours on the weekend. However, there are more convenient for pushing the motorcycle in traffic jams.
    I bought a second Kawasaki Z1000. Crappy bike, but to ride in town and traffic it much nicer.
    Yeah, the traffic issue is going to be primary concern. That's why I was worried about the clutch pull. In a state where lane splitting is illegal, and a city/area where it is strictly enforced, my daily afternoon traffic jam ritual could be difficult. I think I would plan on going up to a 43 or 44 tooth (maybe even a 45?) rear sprocket to help stay off the clutch as much as possible in that scenario.