Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EBR Reliability

EBRforum ProvNov
    Quote Originally Posted by noone1569 View Post
    EBR recommends 6k oil changes with AMSOIL btw ;)
    Oh damn, not that dreaded oil talk That's okay, my neighbor has been one of them snake oil salesman for years

EBRforum Junkie
    Funny, most manufacturers are going to synthetic oil as their recommended oil now. Had a bmw 325i, that was the factory fill and it was a 2003. Not sure why you'd refer to them as "snake oil salesmen" if the **** works and Amsoil can prove it time and time again. Same with my 2014 GMC 4x4, factory filled with synthetic.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Quote Originally Posted by d_adams View Post
    Funny, most manufacturers are going to synthetic oil as their recommended oil now. Had a bmw 325i, that was the factory fill and it was a 2003. Not sure why you'd refer to them as "snake oil salesmen" if the **** works and Amsoil can prove it time and time again. Same with my 2014 GMC 4x4, factory filled with synthetic.
    I was just joking with the snake oil thing. I've seen enough "oil threads" on various web forums through the years to know that some people swear by the stuff, the rest swear at it. There's rarely anyone in between. My neighbor swears by it. Puts it in all his vehicles (trucks, cars and motorcycles) and has never had an issue that I know of. I've considered using it in my current bike (Victory). If I do end up buying an EBR, and they recommend Amsoil, then I'll have no problem using it.

EBRforum Junkie
    Well, its factory filled with AMSOIL and the owners manual says go 6200 miles between oil changes.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/82...age=138#manual

Just saying.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Quote Originally Posted by noone1569 View Post
    Well, its factory filled with AMSOIL and the owners manual says go 6200 miles between oil changes.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/82...age=138#manual

Just saying.
    So that manual indicates to do valve clearance checks at the same interval as oil changes. Is that a very involved process?

Edited to add: I just saw your comment on another thread mentioning that you sell Amsoil. Your earlier comment makes more sense to me now (I'm a little slow in the mornings ) I meant no offense with my "snake oil salesman" remark. Just making light of the naysayers I've encountered in the motorcycling community that like to poo-poo Amsoil claims. As I said, I have no problem with the products and would use them without hesitation.
    Last edited by Led Boots; 11-29-2016 at 08:27 AM.

EBRforum Junkie
    Led -

Yea, though not quite as painstaking as the older 1125's, it's still not an over night task..! Well, the first check could be completed in one full day if no shims need changing, but as noted, that should include an air filter cleaning too..!

And so far, my engine, 6000 miles for a valve clearance check is overdoing it also. As long as you use the PROPER (hard, not soft) shims, I'm at as noted, 24+K miles, but only my second valve check. My first check, one exhaust valve needed a new shim, but even that, I could have gotten away with leaving it. Right now, all shims need changing, but none are detrimental to the cams or rockers/followers.

The shims can be gotten thru either Buell OR Harley Davidson. Same as the water cooled Harley...and yea, they are quality shims and use the same thickness measuring system. Personally...stay away from those crappy, aftermarket cheap shims. Harley normally stocks them, and there's MANY more Harley dealers than Buell dealers.

And...I hope it's ok if I change my oil at 3000/3500 miles..!? And another item, oil filters. Either the OEM or the HiFlow. The K&N filters use smaller holes on the inside support. While there "may be" more holes in the K&N's, larger diameter normally flows more than more than quantity, square inches wise.

Mike

EBRforum Junkie
    My first check at ~5000 and I had to replace all of the shims. Not riding this year hurt my mileage, but I'm at 10k and doing valves over the winter.

I agree certainly on not using the K&N and using OEM/HiFlow. I am at ~5000 miles on this oil and am going to send it off for analysis.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Thank you both. In searching Cycle Trader ads, I found a small shop in Pittsburgh that says they have a couple leftover '14 1190RXs in stock for $9,999. Going to take a ride down this Saturday to have a look. Having not seen an EBR other than pictures and videos online, I want see one in person before I make a decision whether or not to pursue this more seriously.

EBRforum Junkie
    Be sure to sit on it too.
    Very comfortable...

Mike

EBRforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Be sure to sit on it too.
    Very comfortable...

Mike
    Very true, looks are deceiving in this department. Its extremely comfortable ride; far more than any other superbike I've ridden (1199/RSV4/R1/CBR1k/GSXR1K/S1000RR)