Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EBR Reliability

EBRforum ProvNov

EBR Reliability

Hello. I am new to the forum (joined yesterday). I've been a fan of Buells since the beginning, and have been intrigued by EBR since their revival this past Spring. Like many others, I thought the ill-fated Hero deal was going to be what finally brought them to the next level. I'm really hoping for them to finally find success with LAP.

Hypothetical: Say I was considering buying an EBR, a few questions/concerns come to mind.
    1. I see quite a few left over models on showroom floors. Aside from price, would there be any issue with buying one of the older models? Are there any differences in features or craftsmanship with them as compared to the 2016+ models?
    2. What kind regular service is needed, and are they easy to work on for basic upkeep/service? The dealer network being what it is currently, there's not a dealership within 300 miles of me. I also don't have the means or equipment to trailer a bike around whenever something comes up.
    3. Are there still a lot of bugs to work out with the current models? In reading through this forum, I've seen mention of a few issues that seem to be inherent to the current EBRs (inconsistent engine performance, error codes, etc.). Are they working actively to address these issues at the factory level or do EBR owners just learn to live with them?
    4. Part two to the above question: What are the most common issues EBR owners are currently experiencing?

Besides body color I do not know of any differences from the 2014 to the 2016 models. Service is pretty straight forward, oil and filter every 6000 miles, although I do mine at 3000, valve adjustment is every 6000 miles, if you are mechanicly inclinded the valve adjustment is easy to do and no special tools are required. Bikes are reliable, only issue is the chain rub and it is not really an issue if you keep your chain adjusted as recommended. I would say issue are sparadic and limited. I have two early 2014 bikes and have an Buell 1125r also, been vary satisfied with all my bikes.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Quote Originally Posted by mackja View Post
    Besides body color I do not know of any differences from the 2014 to the 2016 models. Service is pretty straight forward, oil and filter every 6000 miles, although I do mine at 3000, valve adjustment is every 6000 miles, if you are mechanicly inclinded the valve adjustment is easy to do and no special tools are required. Bikes are reliable, only issue is the chain rub and it is not really an issue if you keep your chain adjusted as recommended. I would say issue are sparadic and limited. I have two early 2014 bikes and have an Buell 1125r also, been vary satisfied with all my bikes.
    Wow, 114 views and only one reply? C'mon guys, there gotta be more than one owner here LOL

At any rate, thanks for the info mackja. Seriously considering taking the leap. I have come very close to dropping a deposit on a Black Lightning since the reveal, but then I keep thinking of all the left over SX's out. I know LAP and EBR are counting on new bike deposits to improve cash position, but it's hard to pass up the deals I could get for thousands less. First World problems, I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Led Boots View Post
    Wow, 114 views and only one reply? C'mon guys, there gotta be more than one owner here LOL
    What can be a problem to have american motorcycle in the USA? What could be the complexity of the dealer and spare parts?
    Take at test-drive and decides to buy.

I am the only EBR-owner in Russian Federation, there is no dealer and no spare parts - I don't have any difficulties with the bike maintenance, repair and spare parts. There are problems, but they are no more than any other motorcycle brands.
    I even managed to get in a road accident and seriously damage the bike - it was repaired in 3 months, parts bought from LAP.
    My milleage about 2000 miles for month.
    EBR 1190 RX

Condensation in speedo, white dust in headlight, throttle bodies coming off of the intake, comms error with speedo from bad solder joints, coolant tank tabs break, header cracks and I'll still buy another one..

EBRforum Junkie
    Some bikes are super reliable, others have had some issues. In all, given that they are a first year production bike you should be of the mindset that there will be some quirks to work out; this is true with any new automobile/motorcycle or machine. The engine and dtivetrain are sound, and EBR has worked out some of the other issues on the first year bikes. You will have to do regular maintenance to the chain to keep it tensioned properly, and replace the chain slider as neeeded. And when the chain is replaced make sure the new riveted link is smooth with no burrs and is is not protruding wider that the factory rivets or it will eat your plastic slider quickly.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Quote Originally Posted by zviadi View Post
    What can be a problem to have american motorcycle in the USA? What could be the complexity of the dealer and spare parts?
    Take at test-drive and decides to buy.

I am the only EBR-owner in Russian Federation, there is no dealer and no spare parts - I don't have any difficulties with the bike maintenance, repair and spare parts. There are problems, but they are no more than any other motorcycle brands.
    I even managed to get in a road accident and seriously damage the bike - it was repaired in 3 months, parts bought from LAP.
    My milleage about 2000 miles for month.
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryS1980 View Post
    Condensation in speedo, white dust in headlight, throttle bodies coming off of the intake, comms error with speedo from bad solder joints, coolant tank tabs break, header cracks and I'll still buy another one..
    Quote Originally Posted by buell-fan View Post
    Some bikes are super reliable, others have had some issues. In all, given that they are a first year production bike you should be of the mindset that there will be some quirks to work out; this is true with any new automobile/motorcycle or machine. The engine and dtivetrain are sound, and EBR has worked out some of the other issues on the first year bikes. You will have to do regular maintenance to the chain to keep it tensioned properly, and replace the chain slider as neeeded. And when the chain is replaced make sure the new riveted link is smooth with no burrs and is is not protruding wider that the factory rivets or it will eat your plastic slider quickly.
    Thank you, all. That's exactly what I needed to know.

EBRforum Junkie
    Going to buy a new EBR then? Some food for though on what year EBR to buy: Buy a new old stock '14 model from LAP saves you some money for "self-warrantied" parts and maintenance; unless you buy an aftermarket warranty that is. Buy a new '16 or '17 model and you get a factory warranty and some piece of mind if you aren't mechanically inclined to do your own warranty work. Either way you can't really go wrong with one.

EBRforum Junkie
    23+ thousand miles on my 2014 RX.
    Driven daily, 85 miles a day. Currently apart for a valve clearance check (past due..!)

My biggest problem, oil changes, filter cleanings and tires. With the miles I drive, they add up quickly.
    I change my oil "about" every 3500 miles...one thing you NEED to understand, every oil change, an air filter cleaning IS REQUIRED at the same time. I learned that the hard way. No harm done, but I have a small cup, half full of loose dirt I knocked off of the filter on my second cleaning. I keep it to remind me to clean the filter..!

I added the IDS ECM with the secondary muffler removal ECM spec. It is louder but not too objectionable. I leave home at 4:30 and my neighbors haven't shot me yet..!

One thing...the engine does not like hot outside temperatures. Much over 95 and in slow traffic, it'll put up a "New Engine" code. Nothing else happens, the engine runs fine, just shows the code. Once the engine cools, the code is gone. Wish I knew exactly what the "New Engine" code is/means...

I'll be replacing the water/antifreeze during my service...replacing the mixture with only about 15% antifreeze to lube the water pump and to keep corrosion down. Antifreeze does NOT help with the cooling, just the water does..so more water it gets.

I did have the regulator go out a short while back. It cost me $220+ for a new regulator and another $150+ for a new battery to replace the burned one...NOT a good thing. Also had to get flat bedded home...

When I bought my RX, my choice was between the 2014 RX and the 2016 Yamaha R1. Even with the problems, I'm still glad I went with the Buell.

Hope that helps some.

Mike

EBRforum Junkie
    EBR recommends 6k oil changes with AMSOIL btw ;)