Thread: Fuel filler cap lock stuck?

EBRforum Newb

Fuel filler cap lock stuck?

Has anyone run into a problem like this yet? I just bought the bike last week from AF1, had it delivered to my house Thursday. I was checking everything out and when I tried opening the fuel filler, it's as though I have the wrong key for it. Both keys work flawlessly in the ignition and under-tail storage, but absolutely will not budge on the filler cap. I have yet to even ride it yet because I have no idea how much fuel is in it...

Anyone have any ideas before I hire a locksmith to cut a key for it?

EBRforum ProvNov
    Try pushing down on the cap and turning the key. I know it's more snug than I'd like it to be.

EBRforum Junkie
    I've had these two issues with mine when new. Things are a bit snug is all and need some attention. (1) Does the key rotate 90° like it is supposed to? If not, push down on the cap while rotating the key. This lets the locking tabs work more freely. (2) If it rotates but the cap won't come out, you'll have to work it strait up and out using the flipper. You may have better luck getting it out when the bike and tank are warm from riding it, because the metal flange will be expanded more.

Once the gas cap is out you need to carefully clean up the metal casting around the inside of the hole and the corners where the cap slides in and the latches operate at. This metal casting was digging into the green plastic on my cap, causing it to stick. I used a sharp knife to shave the rough casting smooth and moist rag to catch the metal filings from falling into the tank. The cap slides in and operates great now.

EBRforum Newb
    Thanks for the great info! I'll give it a try tonight.

EBRforum Junkie
    Mine's tight, has been since new, even now at 21,079 miles...it's still pretty snug.

Mike

EBRforum Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Mine's tight, has been since new, even now at 21,079 miles...it's still pretty snug.

Mike
    I would consider mine more than snug. I actually felt like I could break the key if I tried much harder. Initially, I did try pressing down on the cap as buell-fan suggested, but it didn't seem to help. Now that I know it's somewhat common, I'll try pressing a bit harder, and perhaps getting it warmed up to operating temperature to see if everything expanding a bit helps to loosen things up.

EBRforum Newb
    Great news! The Dacia Sandero is nearly... Wait, wrong forum.

In other news, with renewed confidence I was able to apply a bit more pressure to the key and she opened right up. Operates much smoother now. Just some "first time" tightness.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

EBRforum Junkie
    First time tightness isn't all bad...

EBRforum ProvNov
    wrong forum again mate. :p

Glad it helped man!