Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big press release!

EBRforum Expert

Big press release!

Posted this morning:
    PRESS RELEASE - EBR Motorcycles; Looking Ahead

East Troy, WI – EBR Motorcycles (Erik Buell Racing) announces the release of their 2017 model year American Sportbikes and progress with the rebuilding of the iconic motorcycle brand.

“It has been an amazing summer since the new EBR was launched. You can imagine the challenges restructuring the new company, but we have made really nice progress building our base for 2017 to launch this week,” said Bill Melvin, owner of EBR. “Our dealers have had nice success selling bikes this summer and we have many new ones coming on. Our quality is continuously improving, our supplier relationships established, and now we are looking towards the future. This fall we have something ‘Quick, Dark, and Low’ in the works that should be exciting for urban street riders, and we are making real progress on expanding the range of models of the 1190 platform, as well as developing and delivering accessories that our EBR riders want. There is a bright future for EBR, and as part of that work is proceeding on a sub-$10k platform for 2018.”

EBR Motorcycles has many exciting updates that will be seen soon. The 2017 models hit the showrooms this week. EBR plans to attend the International Motorcycle Shows in Long Beach, California; New York, New York; Dallas, Texas; and Chicago, Illinois. Show visitors will get to see and learn more about the 2017 models. EBR also will show off selected upcoming 2017 ˝ & 2018 model prototypes at different shows. EBR Apparel will launch within weeks with clothing celebrating the brand, and the team continues international racing as EBR Splitlath with Shelina Moreda at the helm. Along with new products, EBR is reviewing applications for their new Global Sales Director to support and grow EBR’s dealer base organically and through strategic partnerships.

“It’s a great time to ride the only American Sportbike, designed by Erik Buell, and we encourage patriotic Americans to meet these new EBR dealers for a test ride,” said Steve Smith, CEO of EBR. “Of course we had some bumps over the last year, but the road is looking pretty smooth now. It’s exciting to see growth into our next steps and exciting that we can help support the Buell Nation of enthusiasts and riders.”

Dealers, Global Distributors, and riders looking for information on the EBR lineup can visit www.EBR.com or EBR Motorcycles on Facebook.

Nice!! Sub $10,000 platform? I'm guessing it's a detuned version of the current bikes and not a completely new bike, but we'll see.

A shorter stroke, 900 cc version at a tempting price would be pretty cool and help do what they really need - move bikes and get established.

This is the 6 month point since they restarted in March, and every day they can keep the lights on just makes them stronger and stronger. If they can make it to September 2017, I think they'll be here to stay.

And I'm guessing the "quick, dark and low" might be a new version of the City X, which sounds cool.

EBRforum ProvNov
    I can't wait to see what they're doing!

Good news. I hope they will not forget about 1190 AX...
    EBR 1190 RX

I saw some rumors on Facebook about turbos. That would be a cool way to give the spec-sheet racers something to chew on without requiring a complete redesign.

Personally, I'm fine with the power of the current bike (or less on a smaller, lighter bike), but an insane performance variation is the kind of thing that would get them the kind of attention they need.

They aren't likely to have a serious racing team for a while, so there's no reason to stick strictly to the racing limitations, so make an H2R type bike to get some attention now and continue selling and refining the 1190 RX, so it will be ready to race when they're on their feet and have the money.
    Last edited by Scott; 09-24-2016 at 07:13 AM.

Turbo or supercharger?
    In any case, such bike not keep in 10 k$. Selling price of H2R is 50,000 GBP, possible company Kawasaki sells these bikes at a loss as Volkswagen sells Bugatti Veyron. Veyron prime cost circa 5 millions $.
    EBR will not be able to carry out such a project, and such dumping. No need to compare a small firm and concerns.
    Last edited by zviadi; 09-24-2016 at 07:30 AM.
    EBR 1190 RX

EBRforum Expert
    The press release mentions 2017 models (to be shown next week), "2017-1/2" models, and 2018 models. It also says the sub-$10k bike will be a 2018 model. In one interview shortly after EBR went into receivership, Erik mentioned that they had a more-mainstream, less-expensive model in the works that was reasonably close to being production-ready that would REALLY impress people. I think that's what we'll see in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by zviadi View Post
    Turbo or supercharger?
    In any case, such bike not keep in 10 k$. Selling price of H2R is 50,000 GBP, possible company Kawasaki sells these bikes at a loss as Volkswagen sells Bugatti Veyron. Veyron prime cost circa 5 millions $.
    EBR will not be able to carry out such a project, and such dumping. No need to compare a small firm and concerns.
    I wouldn't "me too" what Kawasaki did with the H2R. I'd basically find ways to increase power on the basic engine using the best combination of non-race-legal components - stronger cams, pistons etc., increased displacement and forced induction (either turbo or super depending on what seems to work best).

Do that to increase power but maintain other components to minimize cost and weight increase. I wouldn't try to compete with the H2R on top-end. My goal would be a bike that I could sell for approx. $25K (at a profit) that would outperform any other Superbike out there (except maybe the H2R, though I'd want something that can out-handle the H2R).

I think most people would agree that the EBR's are among the best-handling big-bikes on the planet, but they can't compete with the inline-fours on power. So increase that power without altering the weight and handling (much) and you've got a bike from a tiny manufacturer in East Troy that could outperform the best performing bikes on the planet.

And there are two details of Buell history we should keep in mind. The Harley Buells were all about taking an engine that had no place in a sport-bike and using creative methods to get more performance out of that engine and bike than was sane. And that was eith a Harley engine. What could be possible if that same basic concept was applied to a bike that started as a world-class sport-bike instead of a Harley?

And the final detail. I remember hearing that the hole in the left side of the XB frame:
    Name:  frame.jpg
Views: 1504
Size:  92.2 KB

Was there because a turbo was planned but never came to be.

I'm not saying any of this will actually happen, but there are some intriguing possibilities, and if I was trying to set myself apart from the competition and put EBR on the map, I'd be seriously looking into it.
    Last edited by Scott; 09-24-2016 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
    The press release mentions 2017 models (to be shown next week), "2017-1/2" models, and 2018 models. It also says the sub-$10k bike will be a 2018 model. In one interview shortly after EBR went into receivership, Erik mentioned that they had a more-mainstream, less-expensive model in the works that was reasonably close to being production-ready that would REALLY impress people. I think that's what we'll see in 2018.
    If I had to guess (based on common sense and things we know), I'd expect:

1. The 2017 1/2 model will be a new City X SG Dark with hand-guards, lowered suspension and some slightly revised bodywork.

2. The 2018 Models will add ABS ( for sale in Europe - I notice that all the 2017s say "For US Sale Only") and the sub $10K model will be a lower-displacement version of the current bikes (and I'd expect the current bikes to go back up a little in price once they have a lower-cost option).

I would love to see a Hastur-type middle-weight, and I think they're working on that and I suspect that will be one of the "prototypes" we'll be seeing, but a whole new bike with unique components like that seems like it would cost too much to develop and and bring to production for EBR right now. I think they need to focus on selling existing bikes and bikes based on existing designs for the next few years until they can get to the point they're consistently selling several thousand bikes a year with a real revenue stream and healthy dealer network.

Unless they've got an investor with very deep pockets we haven't heard of yet, I think anything other than a very slow and steady approach could get them in trouble again. And even if they have a deep-pocket investor, I think trying to do too much, too soon could still be foolish.