Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Melted battery

EBRforum Junkie
    New battery installed, new regulator installed. Charging seems to stay in the 14.2 to 14.6 range, up to about 3500 rpm.

The factory regulator installation was crap. There's supposed to be material that is between the regulator and the subframe plate to remove all air pockets. Well, by an obvious mark, only about 1/4 of the regulator was touching the mounting plate..! NOT good heat transfer.

So to make sure both the regulator and the mounting plate is flat, I ran a file over both parts, used some copper infused silicone and put the regulator in place. As far as the silicone...not a problem, we use it regularly when attaching black boxes to satellite framework where I work for the same heat soak situation.
    I also bent the plastic wall right next to the regulator to let a little air in.

Then...THEN...the fans were not turning on. The fan fuse kept popping. Luckily I found the problem fairly quickly. The left side fan seized.
    Jeeze, I just can't win.
    NOT a cheap fix.

One more day on the XB. Gotta take the RX for a drive around town to make sure everything's really ok, before hitting the traffic on the freeway.

Mike

EBRforum ProvNov
    The voltage regulator should only have 5 wires coming out (3 yellow, a red and a black). I had an issue with mine on my 1125r and replaced it with a Shindengen SH775. It works great. It is not a shunt type regulator which grounds the windings to cut the flow of electrical current to the battery and allows heat to build up in the windings. This style disconnects the windings so it doesnt produce current when not needed. This also helps with parasitic HP drain due to the windings being charged when they dont need to be. Let me know if you need any further info.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    yzf -

Where did you get your prices..?

The original cost is $209 and change.
    It's currently on sale for $159. How do I know...I just bought one.

Mike

Oops- sorry- just saw your question!

The $305 is what a dealer was going to charge me for it. At that point I was going to go back to Lead acid or ???, but not spend 3 bills on a battery....

I suggested the other one as a substitute - I could not find the OEM one on the interwebs, though apparently zviadi apparently did in post #10!

Is that the part you bought? Exact as OEM replacement?