PDA

View Full Version : Steering damper

recon033
05-19-2016, 05:10 PM
Is anyone using an aftermarket steering damper yet? I know this bike has a lot of power but I feel like the front end gets quite alot of bar shake when givin er compared to any other bike I've owned or ridden. Nothing scary yet, just noticeable for sure.

d_adams
05-19-2016, 06:05 PM
Jim Dugger, Ohlins.

Doug Porcaro
05-20-2016, 09:14 AM
I have this one on order along with their shock:

http://ebutik.nccr.se/ebr-erik-buell-racing-1/ebr-suspension/ebr-1190-sx-wilbers-suspension-adjustable-steeringdamper-kit

Doosh
05-25-2016, 04:54 PM
The stock part sucks. An adjustable Ohlins works well.

Betterbuell
06-05-2016, 06:17 AM
I purchased a HyperPro , had to bush out the diameter a little to use the stock bracket. Its the reactive model, so you can have it set reasonably loose and it reacts to sudden changes in movement , i.e. head shake . The stock one is the same as on the Ducati SF. .......crap.

buell-fan
06-05-2016, 08:06 AM
Here's a pic of Pat Mooney's dampener on his RX he races. It's an Ohlins unit.

recon033
06-06-2016, 06:56 PM
Here's a pic of Pat Mooney's dampener on his RX he races. It's an Ohlins unit.

Just watched a video of him racing. Dude rips.

rugbyguitargod
06-06-2016, 07:47 PM
gonna have to look into one of these. That vibration from the stock unit on longer rides can definitely fatigue the hands/shoulders a bit.

buell-fan
06-06-2016, 08:37 PM
gonna have to look into one of these. That vibration from the stock unit on longer rides can definitely fatigue the hands/shoulders a bit.

If you are getting vibrations through the bars the steering damper won't fix it. The damper is there to control steering head shake if the rider should upset the front end coming out of a curve too hard and out of sorts with the front end, among other similar situations.

Bar vibrations can be stopped of a number of different ways. A lot of old school Harley guys filled the bars with lead shot, others fill it with a liquid rubber that dries, for the cheaper solutions to changing the vibration levels. There are also bar end weights and other useful products that do the same thing. Google it and look at you tube and get some ideas that may work for you. The mechanical vibration dampeners that fit in your bars are easy to make instead of buying them for a hundred bucks.

http://www.vibranator.com/street_bikes_s/23.htm

recon033
06-07-2016, 09:30 AM
If you are getting vibrations through the bars the steering damper won't fix it. The damper is there to control steering head shake if the rider should upset the front end coming out of a curve too hard and out of sorts with the front end, among other similar situations.

Bar vibrations can be stopped of a number of different ways. A lot of old school Harley guys filled the bars with lead shot, others fill it with a liquid rubber that dries, for the cheaper solutions to changing the vibration levels. There are also bar end weights and other useful products that do the same thing. Google it and look at you tube and get some ideas that may work for you. The mechanical vibration dampeners that fit in your bars are easy to make instead of buying them for a hundred bucks.

http://www.vibranator.com/street_bikes_s/23.htm

Mine is definitely head shake. I have no vibrations that I can't deal with. The head shakes are mostly in 2nd and 3rd at WOT.

d_adams
06-07-2016, 05:59 PM
You won't get that headshake with a little more power applied. Getting the front wheel off the ground stops it.

buell-fan
06-07-2016, 06:53 PM
I misunderstood this post,
But this post is not misunderstood:

Mine is definitely head shake. I have no vibrations that I can't deal with. The head shakes are mostly in 2nd and 3rd at WOT.

Your front end is light, if not off the ground at these gears and throttle positions; I know mine is! From what I understand, unless you are pushing one side of the bars more than the other and causing the head shake (like when coming down off a wheelie, with the front tire not strait), then a loose steering stem will cause a shake because you are loading and unloading the bearings, steering head and stem, forks and wheel. Because the stem is loose it changes the steering geometry and, under the right conditions, a shake happens when the forks settle the steering head and stem back in place. The manual calls for the triple tree steering stem nut set to 38-42 ft. lbs. Also check rear tire alignment.

rugbyguitargod
06-08-2016, 05:34 PM
I misunderstood this post,
But this post is not misunderstood:

Your front end is light, if not off the ground at these gears and throttle positions; I know mine is! From what I understand, unless you are pushing one side of the bars more than the other and causing the head shake (like when coming down off a wheelie, with the front tire not strait), then a loose steering stem will cause a shake because you are loading and unloading the bearings, steering head and stem, forks and wheel. Because the stem is loose it changes the steering geometry and, under the right conditions, a shake happens when the forks settle the steering head and stem back in place. The manual calls for the triple tree steering stem nut set to 38-42 ft. lbs. Also check rear tire alignment.

I thought i was getting vibrations caused by a poor damper. turns out, there's just not much shock absorbing properties of the stock grips.

MegaFighterX
09-26-2016, 07:35 AM
the stock grips are not good... I know I've tried a couple with my RX

SX_Bueller
09-26-2016, 04:05 PM
What grips do you recommend? I actually would be looking for something thicker, right now I have tennis racket grip tape on mine to increase the diameter. My hand would get numb with the small grip. I guess I'm just used to the larger size from my "other" bike.

something larger and more comfortable would be the best for me, but I know that everyone is different.

MegaFighterX
09-26-2016, 06:08 PM
I put some adventure bike grips on from progrip (http://www.progrip.com/product/714 I believe is the product), but it didn't seem to help really.

I'm currently using the 724 dual density ones (http://www.progrip.com/product/724). They're a bit closer to the stock ones, but they do help a little bit. I also just chucked on some bar end weights, so I'll see if that helps at all. My brief testing says they did help... but only margainally.

Of course, I am talking about the RX's clip on's as well. I don't know that there's a whole hell of a lot I can do to help that.