PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of picking up a leftover. How is the street ride-ability and reliability??

Beenlookin
04-26-2016, 01:42 PM
All:

Long time Buell fan, actually learned to ride on a Blast. Been hooked on twins and V4's ever since. I am waiting for the 2016 Tuono's to go on clearance, however, I have been considering a leftover ebr for 6 months now. What has been holding me back from pulling the trigger is the following items, any info on these would help me in making a decision:

Reliability. Searched the forum, heard about the stator cover. Anything go horribly wrong with these bikes? I have moved from the east coast to west, I've downgraded into an apartment and no longer have tools or a place to work on cars/bikes.
Street ride-ability. All the reviews i've read mention a terribly difficult clutch lever and horrible gearing for around the town use. Is this true? I'd mostly be urban and on weekends, canyons.
Parts Availability. Are parts being made anymore?

Biases aside, would you buy knowing there are no dealers, limited support, and seemingly limited parts? Will it stay reliable? I'm in no position to buy and think about repairs... Tuono's are proven, but 2k more on clearance. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all

mackja
04-26-2016, 02:00 PM
Bikes are great, I know there have been some issues here and there, only issue I have had is the low fuel light stays on, connector on wire on fuel pump was not crimped properly, no big deal. Clutch pull is not that bad when bike is running, and their is a lower effort kit available. gearing is not bad at all, around town you will use 1st 2nd and 3rd gears. Production is back up and 2016 units are being shipped to new dealers. Parts may be slow at first but will be available, many parts are available now on line and through an EBR dealer. Engine is as reliable as the day is long. I have 25,000 on my Buell 1125r including 5000 track day miles and it has been very reliable. Tuono is no more reliable, remember it is an Italian supermodel and can be a pain also. Wonderful engine, really nice bike, I just cant get past the Transformer look. Either one will be a blast to ride.

buell-fan
04-26-2016, 02:01 PM
There are relatively few issues with the bikes. A few bikes have had issues, as you will have with anything manufactured. As far as the clutch goes, it it isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. But I am bias there, as all of my other clutches are purely manual and they take a man's grip. The rear sprocket does need changed to a 42 tooth, at least, for city traffic and slow speeds. They are $63.00 from LAP. And yes, parts are still available. The money you save on a new 2014 or 2015 EBR is well worth the cost of buying an aftermarket warranty if you don't want to do the work yourself.

Buy American.

noone1569
04-26-2016, 03:12 PM
Keep in mind, no one posts up on a forum or facebook group and says "Hey guys, just rolled my 5000 mile on my bike and it's perfect." People only post about issues, for help with those issues.

Reliability on these bikes seems to be pretty good even more so than previous buells IMO. 10,000 miles on mine, not a single easy.

Street rideability, well, it was my sole vehicle for about 4 months. Daily rode it to work, for fun, etc. Great streetability IMO, the clutch, you get used to it, and keep in mind it is vacuum assisted so easier once moving. Gearing isn't bad, sure its a bit tall for the street, vortex makes cheap sprockets to fix that.

Have not had a single issue getting any parts I need. Some seem to be a bit more difficult to get if you want OEM, like rotors, but still you can get a rotor for it on amazon even.

If you're on the fence, just do it, you won't regret it.

StrangeTrip
04-26-2016, 05:23 PM
Mine is in transit now, haven't rode yet.
Buy I agree with all of the above.
LAP is selling them on EBAY motors, even had a Carbon Model a couple days ago.

Update: Received mine today, LAP told me 3 to 4 weeks, it was here in 2 weeks.
Who said the clutch is hard? Maybe the 2015 comes with the "reduced effort" clutch?
It is not bad at all, try a fricken Harley clutch, much harder.

Beenlookin
04-26-2016, 06:45 PM
There are relatively few issues with the bikes. A few bikes have had issues, as you will have with anything manufactured. As far as the clutch goes, it it isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. But I am bias there, as all of my other clutches are purely manual and they take a man's grip. The rear sprocket does need changed to a 42 tooth, at least, for city traffic and slow speeds. They are $63.00 from LAP. And yes, parts are still available. The money you save on a new 2014 or 2015 EBR is well worth the cost of buying an aftermarket warranty if you don't want to do the work yourself.

Buy American.

Thanks for the info. Where can you buy a warranty from and who will service it, any bike shop? Do you or anyone else recommend the 42 tooth only? Curious as to how much i'd have to spend on aftermarket parts to make it more enjoyable on the street.

Finally, I know i'm in the SX forum, but anyone ride both and can fill me in on why they chose the SX (or RX)?

Thank you to everyone, I'm getting more convinced as I get more feedback.

Beenlookin
04-26-2016, 07:09 PM

Buy American.

Thanks for the info.

So, the recommendation is a 42 tooth sprocket for around the town riding? Can anyone concur? Who can you buy the warranty from and will it be limited to EBR dealers only (which are slim)?

Finally, I know i'm in the SX forum, but anyone ride both and can comment on the differences? I love the look of the RX but the handlebars on the SX sure would be nice for city riding. Other than that, they're pretty much identical right? Any other info you guys could give about them?

Thank you all for the help, keep the comments coming it'll help me make a decision.

Beenlookin
04-26-2016, 07:53 PM

Buy American.

42 tooth, everyone agree? Who sells the warranty and who could service the bike? Any more info you guys could provide? Have you all rode both SX and the RX? Any comparisons?

qurtrn10
04-29-2016, 07:01 AM
Strange,

The 2015 models did get a lighter clutch. Check out a 2014 and you'll feel the difference.

StrangeTrip
04-29-2016, 04:57 PM
Yeah, got it out today for 30 miles and rain came in. I think I might need some 2014 springs, my clutch feels like a 125 dirt bike clutch, Lol. The bike is almost TOO smooth all around, miss some of the Harley motor thumpiness. Maybe after I get some exhaust on it, will be better. Stock is way too quiet.

I think it's a no brainer for anybody on the fence, BUY one! It's American, they got parts available now, they are a smokin' deal compared to 2014 list price. I sold my 2003 Fatboy with 42,000 miles on it, and the proceeds paid for this new EBR. This is my 26th (about half street, half dirt) bike in 43 years of riding and I've never needed a warranty in the past. Break them in correct and keep the service up to date, should be no problems.

d_adams
05-05-2016, 06:59 PM
While not quite finished, this one is quite possibly one of the best bang for the buck systems out there.