PDA

View Full Version : Starter issues

Jbaker229
04-03-2016, 10:20 PM
Went to start my bike today and it would not turn over..

Long story short, I tore the bike apart, took apart the starter - it had gotten wet and a couple of the spring loaded pieces from the brush mechanism had gotten stuck / corroded. Sprayed them with a bit of wd 40 and now the starter works fine. I know other people had have this issue and replaced the entire starter assembly. This method might save you a bit of money. I was stuck out in a bad rain storm a couple of weeks ago - I assume that is what pushed water into the starter.

Getting the fans off was no fun! Unfortunately I left one fan unplugged and I have to take off one of the side fairings again :(. Also others have mentioned that you need to remove the headers to get to the starter, you do not need to touch them.

EDIT: I guess I was late to the party - anyone needing a guide can see it here:

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/713493/768844.html?1441075169

The starter brushes were identical to what is posted here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J14KZ8uWmFM&feature=youtu.be

Mike
04-04-2016, 09:09 PM
Been thru several rains, even crashed in the rain, starter still working well...!?
Just lucky I'm guessing.

Mike

d_adams
04-05-2016, 06:13 AM
Some of the starters had thinner o-rings that allowed a small bit of moisture into the body which caused some corrosion. If I'm not mistaken, the 1125 starter is the same part, it's also been cross referenced over to some other models.

Plotter
04-06-2016, 11:30 AM
While my bike was down getting repaired, I pulled the starter and took a look, but everything looked fine. Been stuck out in the rain once or twice and haven't had any issues...

I also pulled the fuel pump because my low fuel light was always on and replaced the connector, but alas... When the bike came back to me, still low fuel. I guess I also had a bad sensor... I checked it after I fixed it and adjusted the float and it appeared to be working, but I guess I should have replaced all of the connectors... Always next time...