PDA

View Full Version : R&G Fork Sliders

golfman1966
02-06-2016, 05:21 PM
I recently purchased a set of R&G fork sliders from Twisted Throttle and figured it would be a five minute install like it was with my Daytona. Instead, the insert that the front caliper cooling ducts are bolted to is completely in the way. I have no idea how to remove it and the instructions are completely silent on the matter.

Anyone fit these to their bike that might have some advice?

buell-fan
02-06-2016, 05:58 PM
I dont have the instructions any more, but if memory serves, these require mounting to the air scoop by way of the center screw that holds the scoop in place.

golfman1966
02-06-2016, 06:07 PM
I dont have the instructions any more, but if memory serves, these require mounting to the air scoop by way of the center screw that holds the scoop in place.

If that's the case they've sent me the wrong parts, since the kit comes with a center rod long enough to route through the entire width of the front forks. The insert that is on the right side of the front axle is made of some soft aluminum, I thought it might be pressed or threaded in, but I can't get it to budge, and I'm not in a place where I can remove the axle.

golfman1966
02-06-2016, 06:15 PM
And, I've just realized what they've done. They sent me a kit for the SX, not the RX.

buell-fan
02-06-2016, 08:28 PM
If you are sure that it is the SX kit then I will swap you. The company I purchased my kit from sent me the RX kit instead of the SX kit that I need. I was going to just make the through rod and make it work instead of returning it. Let me know.

TerryS1980
02-07-2016, 06:55 AM
Unless you race the scoop is useless, so get rid of the eye sore...

golfman1966
02-07-2016, 10:11 AM
Unless you race the scoop is useless, so get rid of the eye sore...

I tend to agree that the scoops are not the most attractive part of the bike. I assume the plug that is on the right side of the front axle is merely pressed in and can be driven out by using a hammer and something long enough to go through the axle from the left.

buell-fan
02-07-2016, 10:40 AM
There is a machined shoulder inside of my axle tube, but without the plug. The RX's plug for mounting the air scoop is probably pulled up flush to that shoulder and will need to be pushed out from right to left, if you are removing the assembly.

golfman1966
02-07-2016, 01:36 PM
There is a machined shoulder inside of my axle tube, but without the plug. The RX's plug for mounting the air scoop is probably pulled up flush to that shoulder and will need to be pushed out from right to left, if you are removing the assembly.

If I'm understanding you correctly, this would mean pushing it through the entire length of the axle?

Plotter
02-07-2016, 02:02 PM
Just trade and y'all are both good.

golfman1966
02-07-2016, 04:29 PM
It was indeed pressed in, all I had to do was get some 3/8" bar long enough to go through the length of the axle, and then hammered it out. It is made of some very mild aluminum, not something I would want to rely on for support of a crash bobbin.

For those that might be wanting some useless information, the insert is part number H0448.1B6. From what I've been reading several Buell owners have fitted these ducts to their track bikes.