PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting the RX - any considerations?

Smitty
12-23-2015, 08:52 AM
Hey Everyone - I'm considering pulling the trigger on the RX. There are some that have been sitting in dealerships for quite some time, so just curious if anyone on the forum would be willing to share what to look for when walking the bike and test riding it. Off the top of my head, after the engine has warmed up, look for leaks, check battery level, etc. I'm concerned that sitting for so long will have an adverse impact on gaskets drying out and who knows what else.

Thanks for any replies!

Plotter
12-23-2015, 11:05 AM
Have them fill the tank and check for a low fuel light. Check all the plastic body part bolts to see if there is any cracking. Check the clutch pull to see if it got the clutch spring kit. Check to see if you have the brackets on the reservoirs (just to see how far along in production your model is, my buddy bought his and it was in the same month, but mine had the rear break bracket on the reservoir, and his didn't).

The other items are a bit more difficult to check, and/or are regular things to check regardless of brand and type of motorcycle, some of which you have already listed. Check the headers to see if there is any cracking. Check

Mike
12-26-2015, 01:51 PM
Don't be "pulling any triggers"...you might end up with a hole you can't fill..!

Just normal stuff...as noted, just make sure it's got water and oil, obvious fasteners are tight. I had no problems when I drove mine off the lot.
A Shorai battery charger might be a good investment. NOT a Battery Tender, but the one made for this battery.
It might not be any big deal week to week, but it'll help it last longer (per the Shorai guys !). I drive my RX (almost) daily. I use the charger every two weeks, or just before the Monday of a long holiday, like the Christmas holiday..!

They really don't like to be "free revved" like many seem to like to do. The pistons, rods are heavy pieces in there just floating around. I don't go over about 3500/4000 on any no load rev. Just not needed for anything...(though some will have their better ideas..!).

And one thing I found during my valve clearance check...the air cleaner "needs" to be cleaned in the 3000 mile range. Or make your oil change an all day thing...change the oil, oil filter, and clean the air filter...(air filter is per the manual)..!
It's a K&N (?), so get some filter oil.

Mike

d_adams
12-26-2015, 02:22 PM
^ Yes, it's K&N filter.

motorman1965
12-29-2015, 08:46 AM
A Shorai battery charger might be a good investment. NOT a Battery Tender, but the one made for this battery.

So you wouldn't use a battery tender on this bike?

Doosh
12-29-2015, 08:56 AM
So you wouldn't use a battery tender on this bike?

The Shorai-specific charger has a balancing circuit to it -- it's better for the light weight lithium batteries. I've had this charger bring back lithium batteries that wouldn't hold a charge from a traditional tender.