PDA

View Full Version : Another thing for some to whine about..!

Mike
12-05-2015, 09:46 PM
All -

I'm putting my RX back together from a valve clearance check.
So I'm in the airbox...!

There's a coupla places that "might" help airflow a little. How much...who knows, but with a hand full of wires in there in the center of the air stream, it sure can't hurt to "clean things up a bit". In my opinion, the higher the RPM, the more the below information can help.

Taking my cue from the "obvious" and from the BMW S1000RR I used to have... ON the BMW, to adjust the valves, one had to cut 38 zip-ties to get to the cam cover. This IS from the factory..!

Item #1 to do -
Straighten the air inlet parts. The main, thru the frame tube is probably not smooth and tight to the frame. Mine at least was not. With a heat gun, I heated the "tube" so it sits nice and square, all "straight" edges. No humps and wavy edges.
Then...you have to do the same to the filter holder. Make sure that the filter holder is "inside" of the main inlet tube. Not outside or partially in and partially out. This is terrible for airflow.

Item #2 to do -
I did the same thinking as you question. There was "one" zip-tie holding the wiring to the fuel manifold.
I now have..."several".
Five on the fuel manifold/wiring.
Two on the wiring/hose that goes up to the valve on the right side (I assume it's a "smog" item).
Two on the rear fuel line/wiring.
One holding the hose from the left side to the right side valve, is now snugged to the upper injector bracket (black bracket).

The wiring is pulled snug to the fuel manifold and rests on the top of the manifold where it's zip-tied in place.
There is now, no floppy wiring, wiring and fuel lines are "stacked" so that the airflow only has "one" item to pass by.
Everything is BMW cleanly run and snugged to something else to reduce the "stuff" in the way of clean airflow, and remove the fluttering wires.

It's in the little "details" that make for a good running engine...of any type.
All this COULD...even remove stress from the wires to the connectors. Wires that are continually moving on one side and solid on the other, can eventually break, or at best, break "strands" with a given wire that can reduce the voltage/amps that go to the regulator and upper injectors.

Mike

Mike
12-05-2015, 09:57 PM
Coupla errors in the above post. This system will not let me make changes.

1. My EBR had one zip-tie within the airbox, so adding a few shouldn't be a problem.
2. The "ON the BMW..." should be, "On the BMW..."
3. The "I did the same thinking as you question." comment doesn't need to be there. It's a hold over from a question on the BadWeb that I answerewd.

Pick away boys...

Mike

buell-fan
12-06-2015, 09:45 AM
Very nice Mike. Thanks for the writeup.

Plotter
12-06-2015, 12:13 PM
Looks like some good things to do... At the very worst, it just won't help anything, but I can't see this hurting anything.. and at best, it will improve the long term reliability of the bike... maybe slight performance gains... definitely improve consistency... adding to the list for me to get done next weekend. Thanks for the writeup...

QtheBUELLIGAN
12-07-2015, 09:33 PM
good stuff Mike. Thanks for the knowledge. :cheers: